Sir David Attenborough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CLSMark

Banned
Car
Volkswagen Touareg
Watching Blue Planet at the minute. Wonder how long this lovely old gent will continue lending his voice and knowledge to these things. Won’t be the same when he packs up/passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He is outstanding in the world of television and I could listen to him talk about any subject. He could make a weather forecast sound interesting.
We won't see the like of him again I fear. Thank goodness he has no plans to retire but at 91 he won't go on indefinitely.

He is outstanding in the world of television and I could listen to him talk about any subject. He could make a weather forecast sound interesting.
We won't see the like of him again I fear. Thank goodness he has no plans to retire but at 91 he won't go on indefinitely.

Yep. Kenneth Branagh sometimes does them. But he’s a boring git

Watching Blue Planet at the minute. Wonder how long this lovely old gent will continue lending his voice and knowledge to these things. Won’t be the same when he packs up/passes.

Yep. Watching too. He's amazingly good to listen to. Will never be replaced.

My entire life I've been educated by David Attenborough, there will come a time when he's not around and it just won't be the same.

Some amazing cinematography, and I agree he is a one off

He's been going so long you'd have to be in your 70s not to have had him teach you something from a very early age.

My heart sunk then thinking it was bad news.

Yeah, he's in my top 5 favourite people on earth.

Joe Acaba
Alexander Misurkin
Mark Vande Hei
Sergey Ryazanskiy
Commander Randy Bresnik

When my son was 7 years old (now 31) he wrote to Sir David, courtesy of the BBC, about one of his documentaries we'd just watched. Sir David was in charge of BBC2 at the time, so a very busy man, yet he took the time to hand write a long letter to our son explaining how he had become interested in nature. He even include a fossil he had collected in Africa, plus a signed photograph of himself. These are still prized possessions of our son. Another story...a friend of ours worked in Personnel at the BBC when Sir David was in charge and said that he was adored by everyone there.

What a gentleman Sir David is.

His contribution to the BBC and British television as controller of the fledgling BBC 2 probably set the tone for global television broadcasting at a time when it was the most powerful communication medium on the planet. It could be argued that with the advent of the internet, cell phone technology and the proliferation of on demand media this is no longer the case or at the very least challenges the previous dominance of scheduled terrestrial broadcasts. We forget that under his auspices we got 625 lines UHF broadcast and the advent of the UK PAL colour television system even if the guys in the High Chaparral turned out bright orange!
Programmes he commissioned included Man Alive, Call My Bluff, Chronicle, Life, One Pair of Eyes, The Old Grey Whistle Test, Monty Python's Flying Circus and The Money Programme. Civilisation set the blueprint for landmark authored documentaries like Jacob Bronowski's The Ascent of Man (also commissioned by Attenborough), and Alistair Cooke's America. The list goes on and on, of programmes woven into the fabric of a nation's conscience in the second half of the 20th century and early 21rst. In the distance future history may view his contribution as a "multi faceted communicator of his age" on a par with Leonardo Da Vinci

I said he's in my top 5 people on earth.

Someone asked who my top 5 people not on earth are.

I listed 5 people who aren't on earth currently...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom