• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SL55AMG whaich brand rear tyres ?

G7Wagen

Car
Gwagen 280GE
Hi all,

Can owners of SL55AMG 's advise me what brand of rear tyres you are currently using... and your opinions please, on what give the best wear/performance/comfort vs cost.

My car is a 2003 R230 SL55AMG currently on Goodyear Eagle 285/35R 18s on original turbine wheels.

I see Pirelli P Zeros ,Continental Sportcontact3's, and Michelin Pilot sport 3' s listed as options.

What are your experiences guys... I only use this car summertime (rarely in the wet) ...I dont really thrash it.. I like a quiet, compliant tyre.. that will not wear out in 3000miles.

Thanks in Advance

John

Hi all,

Can owners of SL55AMG 's advise me what brand of rear tyres you are currently using... and your opinions please, on what give the best wear/performance/comfort vs cost.

My car is a 2003 R230 SL55AMG currently on Goodyear Eagle 285/35R 18s on original turbine wheels.

I see Pirelli P Zeros ,Continental Sportcontact3's, and Michelin Pilot sport 3' s listed as options.

What are your experiences guys... I only use this car summertime (rarely in the wet) ...I dont really thrash it.. I like a quiet, compliant tyre.. that will not wear out in 3000miles.

Thanks in Advance

John
Pilot Sport 4S - no other choice in my opinion. No premature wear out either, particularly if you’re not abusing them.

All depends on how you use them , a UUHP tyre in more normal driving conditions usually gives up UHP wet tyre performance in order to perform at a higher level which will be dry weather biased .

Identify where your current tyres have a weakness and address that with an informed choice .

Regarding UHP Michelin Pilot Sport 5 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 , the Asy 6 has the sportier drive !

If you will only be using your car in the summer and hopefully no rain don't discard the offering from Pirelli.In southern Europe most Mercedes cars are shod on Pirelli or Bridgestone.BMW cars again in southern Europe are shod with Hancock.My Mercedes came with Continental 5 p tyres and were replaced twice by Continental.
I then tried Goodyear Asy 5 and really pleased with them.Not an AMG but 330 bhp the tyres were good.

Contact sport 6 on the c63 didnt last long (6k) w204 dunlop sportsmax on the w205 c63 were shocking changed to MPS4S excellent tyre the SLK55 AMG had Michelin pilot sport 4 on and they were excellent in all conditions
I hate P zeros but seem to suit the F-type with no issue's but only goes out in the dry

Michelin or Continental are my personal preference - can’t really go wrong with either :thumb:

The Michelin Pilot sport 3 s are tempting me the most..

Check out Costco for Michelin, they had a deal on recently - worth a look if you have a membership or someone you know does :thumb:

Thank you.. all
Costco don't stock the right size for my rears... :(

Pilot Sport 4s not available in 18inch that I can see near me.... :(

Booked in to local tyre Garage for Friday for some fresh rear Michelin Pilot Sport 3s :D

Just for reference, they can order anything in.

I bought correct ‘N’ rated Michelins for the 911 and they were happy to order these in - don’t rely on the menu pricing from the web site for everything that’s available :thumb:

I have had poor experience with Costco tyre fitters... my son had new front tyres there on his front wheel drive car.
They insisted ( their policy) to swap the 'new' tyres onto the back of his car and put his half worn ones on the front... which I dissagreed with as the front does the steering and most of the braking.. therefore would benefit in the wet from more grip. It took a lot of 'discussions ' to get it put the way I/we wanted it. :crazy:

I have had poor experience with Costco tyre fitters... my son had new front tyres there on his front wheel drive car.
They insisted ( their policy) to swap the 'new' tyres onto the back of his car and put his half worn ones on the front... which I dissagreed with as the front does the steering and most of the braking.. therefore would benefit in the wet from more grip. It took a lot of 'discussions ' to get it put the way I/we wanted it. :crazy:
I think that’s quite a normal policy TBH, not unique to Costco but ultimately you got what you wanted anyway.

It’s actually more effort for them when you think about it, they’re going the extra mile not cutting corners! :)

If you will only be using your car in the summer and hopefully no rain don't discard the offering from Pirelli.In southern Europe most Mercedes cars are shod on Pirelli or Bridgestone.BMW cars again in southern Europe are shod with Hancock.My Mercedes came with Continental 5 p tyres and were replaced twice by Continental.
I then tried Goodyear Asy 5 and really pleased with them.Not an AMG but 330 bhp the tyres were good.
Couldn’t disagree more here - even in the dry the P-Zeroes on my car are so devoid of grip (even in the dry) they might just as well have been made by Cadbury’s……

Best tyres should always be on the front (as long as they are not different sizes!!) whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.
Says who? :D

Says common sense!....says Audi/VW when I was selling for them etc etc. The front tyres are responsible for steering and the vast majority of the braking so it makes sense. However before you say it, many online sources do say that the best should be on the rear....but only for the dubious reason that the average driver can handle understeer better than oversteer (amateurs!). To my thinking braking and steering in the rain happens on a far more regular basis than lift of or powered oversteer!! Each to their own. I rotate my tyres regularly to even out wear...so it does not really matter to me!!

Best tyres should always be on the front (as long as they are not different sizes!!) whether the car is front or rear wheel drive.

Simply not true , it's rear has to be best .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom