• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SL60 AMG or MASERATI 4200 GT CAMBIOCORSA

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Well the Boxster 3.2S is just about to go now and the replacement needs to be found ;)

I am looking at this as a 3rd car that can be garaged to do likely 1.5-2k miles per year. Also need a work car so was thinking an E/5-series/A6 or similar car £8-£12k to do about 10k work miles in. I had a RRS SC but my new business partner has stolen it! ;)

I am missing the SL60 I sold to Jay a while back and have been considering getter back into one again. Also after some research came back with the Maserati 4200 GT as being the best and most suitable option for my requirements. Looks like a cracking option to me.

The 4200 seems like a pretty sensible option of this car type as can;t see too many horror stories to issues/reliability like I have seen on the 3200's. Also has usable back seats for the kids, fits a set of golf clubs in the back and has a cracking V8.

I had a short ownership of an R230 SL55 and didn't like it so flipped it back out. Not sure the supercharged 55 was for me as getting power down seemed to be a reall issue. Never got that issue in the SL60 or in the E60 M5 I had for a few months last year.

Any ideas, advice or experiences on either anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated?

The Maserati looks & sounds lovely but the gearbox is truly awful.

It's the same Graziano box as was fitted to an aston vantage I had a year ago.

In "auto" (a joke) it was like being driven in a manual car by a learner on his second outing - slow, jerky shifts - so bad it was almost embarrassing.

I'd go for the SL

The Maserati looks & sounds lovely but the gearbox is truly awful.

It's the same Graziano box as was fitted to an aston vantage I had a year ago.

In "auto" (a joke) it was like being driven in a manual car by a learner on his second outing - slow, jerky shifts - so bad it was almost embarrassing.

I'd go for the SL

I had an E60 M5 for a few months as a loaner and that wasn't a great in 'auto' and was awkward to use at low speed/throttle. However I kind of forgave it and found that the upsides outweighed the downsides. What a car!!

Is the Graziano box worse than the M5 SMG or about the same? I could live with it if it were similar to the M5 SMG.

I think a bit of quirkiness and the like adds to the character and gives a better sense of feeling with a feel-good factor. I am not looking for a perfect car and want some character and to sit in the seat and feel some heritage/history.

I had a TT 3.2 V6 S-tronic for a bit after the SL60 and before the Boxster and that was exactly what I wasn't looking for. Very clinical, quote capable but very boring and quite uninspiring. Although quite a decent car.

The Boxster 3.2S is great but just a bit too common and but boring at anything less than 6/10's. I am hankering after a V8/V10 again as the noise is half of what I am looking for to be honest.

I want to sit something a bit special and different again so quite prepared for some downsides. If only the Gransport MC Victory was a smidge cheaper ;)

There's a thread on that SL60 here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/spotted-ebay/166948-highest-spec-sl60-amg-ever.html

It's been on sale since February, just reduced by £5k. It looks lovely but still a fair bit to spend on a 16 year old car?

Thanks, yes I can see from me brother's trade site that the car has been advertised on Autotrader since 31/12/13. I have contacted Simal and had a brief discussion and I think maybe £25k was just a bit too reach at the moment.

If I pull the kids out of school I could have both! ;)

I think this would be a punt on a long term classic as an investment whereas the 4200 would suit me better I think to drive now/today as a 3rd car.

I had an E60 M5 for a few months as a loaner and that wasn't a great in 'auto' and was awkward to use at low speed/throttle. However I kind of forgave it and found that the upsides outweighed the downsides. What a car!!

Is the Graziano box worse than the M5 SMG or about the same? I could live with it if it were similar to the M5 SMG.

I think a bit of quirkiness and the like adds to the character and gives a better sense of feeling with a feel-good factor. I am not looking for a perfect car and want some character and to sit in the seat and feel some heritage/history.

I had a TT 3.2 V6 S-tronic for a bit after the SL60 and before the Boxster and that was exactly what I wasn't looking for. Very clinical, quote capable but very boring and quite uninspiring. Although quite a decent car.

The Boxster 3.2S is great but just a bit too common and but boring at anything less than 6/10's. I am hankering after a V8/V10 again as the noise is half of what I am looking for to be honest.

I want to sit something a bit special and different again so quite prepared for some downsides. If only the Gransport MC Victory was a smidge cheaper ;)

Haven't driven a BM with SMG, so can't comment on that. With the aston (I kept it for a year) you do get used to it. Open road, great - you always need to (slightly) back off on upshift to keep it smooth, although the option existed for "powershifts" where you kept your foot nailed to the floor - quick but harsh shifts.

There was a "clutch learn" procedure on the sportshift 1 which I had (SS2 did this automatically). Simple to do - foot on brake, start & wait a few seconds until you hear a click - carry this out three times in succession - that made for better driving experiences. Only required every now and then if it was getting juddery, but you get into the habit of doing a single "learn" every time you start. Astons eat clutches whether SS or manual - 30k miles average life & about £3.5 a time.

The Merc doesn't look like a 20k car, I would go for the Maserati especially if only 2k miles a year.

What about killing two birds with one stone and buying a Quattroporte? If the budget is circa £20k for a toy and £8-10k for a daily driver, £25k would buy a beauty with a few quid spare for any unforeseen costs?

I've been sorely tempted on a few occasions but with three young children (sand the associated bumpf) it's just a little on the small side for us.

What about killing two birds with one stone and buying a Quattroporte? If the budget is circa £20k for a toy and £8-10k for a daily driver, £25k would buy a beauty with a few quid spare for any unforeseen costs?

I've been sorely tempted on a few occasions but with three young children (sand the associated bumpf) it's just a little on the small side for us.

Thanks and already though of that one in my head. Does sort of make sense but the QP is a bit too big and potentially expensive to run for 10-12k miles per year. Against 1.5-2k miles for the SL60/4200 with £10k of work miles in something like an e320cdi.

I think I would always want a later QP with the 4.7 and the proper slushbox auto which are a fair bit more expensive. Also I don't think I could live with a paddle manual/duo select/cambiocorsa box as a daily driver.

Would be very tempted by a big lumpy V8 for work if a nice deal came along though but would have to be a proper auto. Maybe an E500 or similar! Audi S6 V10 seem very cheap and good value ;)

Why not drop an AMG lump into the Bipper?

That should make a few people scratch their heads...

Don't go for the Masser on that low mileage they don't stand well and then it's repair after repair they are a bit like TVR I that respect use them and running costs are lower

From my experience the Masser on that low mileage will cost you about £5k a year in maintenance if you can live with that fine otherwise the MB is the better bet

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Don't go for the Masser on that low mileage they don't stand well and then it's repair after repair they are a bit like TVR I that respect use them and running costs are lower

From my experience the Masser on that low mileage will cost you about £5k a year in maintenance if you can live with that fine otherwise the MB is the better bet

I wouldn't have said it was an extra special low mileage really. It is 9 years old so on 52k that is just 6k miles per year. When you say from experience have had had a 4200 and it cost you £5k per year to keep it? Seems very high £5k per year maintenance even for a 4200.

I have heard the clutches need replacement about 50-60k at about£1500. The one I looked at had it replaced at about 48K. Heard some big bills and horror stories about the 3200 but not too much bad stuff about the 4200.

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear I meant the low mileage you are going to do in it they are a car that need to be driven parking them up all week and just using them at weekends leads to high maintenance costs

We used to look after 3 of these cars and Me and my nephew went to Maserati to learn how to set the kiss point on the clutch because there are very few people outside the dealer network that can do it plenty say they can most cant a car not in frequent use will lose the kiss point regularly eventually affecting the gearbox and needing a rebuild as pointed out these boxes are not good and fragile clutches on cars not used only usually last 20k - 25k £1500 is the least for a clutch depending what's needed cost is normally nearer £2500

Electrics are another issue on cars not used as daily drivers with simple things costing at least £1k to fix as not many independents part suppliers

Don't get me wrong these cars are fantastic and I'd have one in a heartbeat but it's a high maintenance car and as long as you go into it with your eyes open that's fine

If you look at my thread in on exactly the same position as you having sold my two race cars I'm now looking for a third car currently looking a Noble but hard to find a good one had a look this week at a Bentley coupe but not me and not what I'm looking for

Good luck with your hunt Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Last edited:
Ah....I see what you mean. Yes, I'd probably agree that 1.5k-2k miles is a bit low but it generally would get fairly regular use bu not for regular long distances.

I don't mind high maintenance as had the SL60 before so was prepared but it didn't turn out to be too bad. Can't see the fun in constantly shelling out cash on an inherently badly designed or built car though. I am not a fool regardless of how much of a petrol-head I am.

My other option is to roll the work and personal car into one as am looking at a replacement work car as my new business partner has nabbed my supercharged RRS.

Maybe an M5/E63 or the like with a Westfield or similar maybe a better mix. Have a bit of time as bought a 3 year old Freelander 2 SD4 HSE for the wife that I am driving at the moment. However she wants it before the kids start back in Sept. It is nice enough and OK but I'm chomping at the bit to me my kind of car again!

rockits said:
Ah....I see what you mean. Yes, I'd probably agree that 1.5k-2k miles is a bit low but it generally would get fairly regular use bu not for regular long distances. I don't mind high maintenance as had the SL60 before so was prepared but it didn't turn out to be too bad. Can't see the fun in constantly shelling out cash on an inherently badly designed or built car though. I am not a fool regardless of how much of a petrol-head I am. My other option is to roll the work and personal car into one as am looking at a replacement work car as my new business partner has nabbed my supercharged RRS.

I know exactly where you coming from and that's my thoughts exactly at throwing money at cars my daily driver is volvo v70 the CLK is my second car the toy in the garage would be my third

I could get a new daily driver sell the CLK and go down to two with a tasty daily and a tasty toy trouble is can't bring myself to sell the CLK although it's worth peanuts I've invested too much time and money to let it go

I agree and can see your predicament. I haven't quite found the right combination yet for all 3 cars at the same time but think I must have been close a couple of times individually though.

With the wife in a car I don' mind going out in that is the start. The Touran has been a great car for us as a family but has served its purpose now and is showing the signs of kids and the missus' driving!! Just have to get my one or two sorted out and I'll be happy for a few years then. Can concentrate back on the businesses again then!

Good luck, I ve currently got the missus in a Volvo C30 great nippy town car and she loves it, her previous car was an Audi A8 4.2 :-)

Think she's fancying the new A class next year was looking at the A45 but it didn't work for us and she is loving a diesel car ( this is her first) think it's the mid range torque that does it

Good luck with both the car hunt and the business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom