• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SLK55 AMG MOT Shock!!

BenzedUP

MB Enthusiast
Car
NA
Because of the mods I've carried out on the car and Paul (Grovsie31) saying it will definitely fail I thought it will but to my shock I was told it sailed by the MOT with no issues at all!!

Car has Kleemann headers & down pipes so no primary CATs and X piped res!

Just two small secondary cats left!!

First time visiting that MOT garage too!

So if anyone is thinking of doing the KleemannK2 mod, go for it and it will pass with ease!

Well please, lol! ;)

I think you should name the garage might bump there business.
lovely car btw!

Tony.

Not many MOT testers are interested in counting your cats to see if any are missing. I think to say otherwise is scaremongering despite the current MOT legislation.
If it passes the emissions tests you shouldn't have a problem. That's all they are concerned about.
Where do all these guys with IPE and F1 systems and no cats at all get their MOT's?

Acid does MOT's doesn't he?:devil::D

This is one of the aspects that has held me back from stripping out the primary cats on my CLS......MOT failure...my indie says go for it....considering she's just passed her MOT this week with flying colours....I think it's on the cards.

Anyone done it to a W219 petrol 350...if so...any improvement in sound...?

Primary cats? Must be loud. Most people I know have only taken out the secondaries and they have no trouble with the MOT. Glad it passed!

I wonder if Mercedes would fail it knowing that the cats would be missing. No other place seems to care :)

My own w211 e55 has original kleemann headers, primary cats removed, EMP bespoke system there from, resonators removed, 100 cell race secondary cats and standard OEM rear boxes, my local Mercedes dealership has MOT'd my car the past 4 years, with no problems, seems it really is not a great issue at this time, albeit who knows what the future regulations will bring;)

I wonder if Mercedes would fail it knowing that the cats would be missing.

My R129 has straight pipes from the manifolds back to a pair of rear-mounted 200-cell sports cats, then the AMG back box. Distinctly non-standard but sails through the MOT at M-B Guildford (which used to be free and is now £10).

Good to know before I get the car modded this weekend - still want it serviced and MOTd at Mercedes. Funny that not even they care.

BTB 500 said:
My R129 has straight pipes from the manifolds back to a pair of rear-mounted 200-cell sports cats, then the AMG back box. Distinctly non-standard but sails through the MOT at M-B Guildford (which used to be free and is now £10).

Could I ask where you got the exhaust work done? I'm north of Guildford and am looking for someone to do mine,

CaptainRAVE said:
Primary cats? Must be loud. Most people I know have only taken out the secondaries and they have no trouble with the MOT. Glad it passed! I wonder if Mercedes would fail it knowing that the cats would be missing. No other place seems to care :)
As part of the Kleemann set up requires primary cat delete.

It sounds lovely, quiet when cruising, mental when hammering it, accessional pops at low speed too!!

https://youtu.be/_N7NBpIIrX4 https://youtu.be/xEkYYkih6t0

As long as it passes emissions then that's the main thing I guess.

My car went in for a minor service at MB last week and they said it should pass.

Also came out with new centre caps. :)

Last edited:
Abdul said:
That sounds amazing mate! How's the 991 treating you?

Hey buddy,
She's doing great, went for her second service at Porsche the other day.

Porsche say every 2 years :o but I'm doing it every year!

Why are cars not noise tested as part of the MOT , or are they ?

The reason I ask is that most bike testers now are , understandably, really picky about the BS stamp on the silencer and "race" cans are a definite fail unless they are fitted with their road legal baffle as are silencers stamped "not for road use".

Kenny

PS - I am not having a moan about loud vehicles as have race systems ( Akrapovic / Yoshimura) on all three of my bikes.

Could I ask where you got the exhaust work done? I'm north of Guildford and am looking for someone to do mine,

I used Longlife in Carshalton to do the original resonator delete and fit the AMG back box, then their Basingstoke branch to do the sports cats.

Why are cars not noise tested as part of the MOT , or are they ?

They are since 2011, but it's a subjective test rather than a maximum dB at a certain distance
Inspection:
assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle

Reason for failure:
a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition

She still has the MB secondary cats, so she's still quiet when cruising, only when you hammer it she starts to sing :D

BTB 500 said:
I used Longlife in Carshalton to do the original resonator delete and fit the AMG back box, then their Basingstoke branch to do the sports cats.

Thanks BTB

I am not shocked at all mate. At the end of the day, most test stations just want to check the safety of your car. If your car is modded and well looked after , they can see that straight away. Folk just wanna worry you every time you tint your windows or fit loud pipes, or whatever......
I have been modding bikes for 25 years and never failed an MOT. Because they were safe......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom