So I have finally managed to get my grubby mitts on it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice write up. No pictures?

Love the idea of cruising around in one of these space ships - had a W221 S65 in front of me on the north circular recently and it was magnificent. However it is getting to a size where you need to factor it into your route planning. There are a few junctions round us with a 7' width control directly after a hard left turn which I am already wary of - with another 6" width I would go a different way.

BigSilverEstate said:
Nice write up. No pictures?

Love the idea of cruising around in one of these space ships - had a W221 S65 in front of me on the north circular recently and it was magnificent. However it is getting to a size where you need to factor it into your route planning. There are a few junctions round us with a 7' width control directly after a hard left turn which I am already wary of - with another 6" width I would go a different way.

It is really big. Sections with narrow lanes would be less than pleasant, but it's size really does give it that waftabikity.

No pics. I forgot my camera :(. I stopped to take pics and realised I didn't bring them.

There's pics of it the day my dad got it, search Blutech and it'll come up.

Will, maybe the air would make it ponderous. It's a no compromises car, handling is adequate but it's about the ride space and trim.

Mark this car has 18 inch wheels, I bet the S you were in has larger wheels. Road noise is conspicuous by absence in this car

I have to agree with everything you have said Steve.... S's are truly proper. There isnt a day goes by when I don't regret the day my 221 was sold.... I suspect the only cure will be a 222.

redbaron said:
I have to agree with everything you have said Steve.... S's are truly proper. There isnt a day goes by when I don't regret the day my 221 was sold.... I suspect the only cure will be a 222.

Used 221s needn't cost the earth mate.

Youve got an SL for thrills. It would be a great addition to your fleet :)

Used 221s needn't cost the earth mate.

Youve got an SL for thrills. It would be a great addition to your fleet :)

Totally agree - but the S went as I was getting a company car... then they changed their mind and left me as a contractor... hence the X1 was a stopgap... then the co car was coming... so it went, then it wasnt coming for a few months so i bought the Octy "for sh1ts and giggles" but my co-car is finally here on fri... hence having an S would be pointless.. still this is likely to be the case for 2 years... then some ex demo 222's should be about... though swapping the SL for a 216 is a bad thought that wont go away...

redbaron said:
Totally agree - but the S went as I was getting a company car... then they changed their mind and left me as a contractor... hence the X1 was a stopgap... then the co car was coming... so it went, then it wasnt coming for a few months so i bought the Octy "for sh1ts and giggles" but my co-car is finally here on fri... hence having an S would be pointless.. still this is likely to be the case for 2 years... then some ex demo 222's should be about... though swapping the SL for a 216 is a bad thought that wont go away...

216 is a lovely big coupe but you'd not miss the drop top. I never got why you got an X1 but it makes sense now. I'd be wary about getting an early new model of car like an S class, minor bugs and nnifgles. A late model of the last gen may not be as flash but maybe more painless to own. But I'm the sort that just can't be doing with hassle. Once I am zimmer frame bound I'll buy a Honda.

C Class: Economy
E Class: Business
S Class: First

A big behind can be very useful . .

Did 300 miles myself at the weekend and the W220 always amazes me at it's ability of doing such a task.

Averaged 42mpg on the on board computer and coming back down the A34 the convoy was moving briskly to say the least.

Best car i've ever owned, being my second W220 now, the only logical path is into a W221.

216 is a lovely big coupe but you'd not miss the drop top. I never got why you got an X1 but it makes sense now. I'd be wary about getting an early new model of car like an S class, minor bugs and nnifgles. A late model of the last gen may not be as flash but maybe more painless to own. But I'm the sort that just can't be doing with hassle. Once I am zimmer frame bound I'll buy a Honda.

Dont think i would miss the drop top TBH.... Think I have used the SL more since I put the pano roof back on than i did with the soft top... I like it roof off, I like it with Pano, dont like it with soft top up. Which lets face it is why everyone loves the 230 / 231 / 170 / 171 ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom