Speed Cameras, Heads Up !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always use the limit +10% rule, keeps you within the ACPO guidelines and lets you glide past lesser mortals afraid to do the true speed not the one indicated on thier speedos (although why they should wear swimming trunks in the car....? :D ) , but since the proliferation of satnavs most people know the true speed anyway, shame really but often they are still wary of exceeding it.

Illustrates your mentallity. You are clearly more interested in avoiding prosecution than complying with a speed limit. The speed limit is a maximum permitted speed, not a minimum. Is it necessary to be so childishly insulting to 'lesser mortals'?

So now we tear-a**e around when we do the true speed limit and not the one shown on the speedo? :rolleyes:

ACPO guidlines or 'true speed'; which is it??

18 years in highways industry...but hey, what do I know ;)

Don't assume you are the forum oracle on the subject Cinek, and that your comments have infallible authority. Other people on here may have expertise they don't boast about, and it may be on a level with, or greater than yours.

There is a very neat new device on the market that uses the Tetra frequency to detect if an emergency vehicle (Police car ;)) is near you and whether it is getting nearer or not. As these vehicles communicate on the Tetra frequency pretty much continuously, it makes this device one hell of a useful tool if one is concerned about making way for emergency vehicles ;)

It also isnt subject to the French ruling on camera databases and camera detection equipment because it doesnt have anything to do with Camera's.

I will post more on this once I have one in stock to look at.

Don't assume you are the forum oracle on the subject Cinek, and that your comments have infallible authority. Other people on here may have expertise they don't boast about, and it may be on a level with, or greater than yours.

Please point me to the direction of me assuming anything, in particular 'I know more than the rest of you', or as you eloquently put it: 'infallible authority'.

There is a very neat new device on the market that uses the Tetra frequency to detect if an emergency vehicle (Police car ;)) is near you and whether it is getting nearer or not. As these vehicles communicate on the Tetra frequency pretty much continuously, it makes this device one hell of a useful tool if one is concerned about making way for emergency vehicles ;)

It also isnt subject to the French ruling on camera databases and camera detection equipment because it doesnt have anything to do with Camera's.

I want one asap :)

Please point me to the direction of me assuming anything, in particular 'I know more than the rest of you', or as you eloquently put it: 'infallible authority'.

"18 years in highways industry...but hey, what do I know" ;)

Looks like some kind of implied additional authority to me

This was in reply to:

"If Cinek believes that traffic management reduces congestion by reducing tail-gating and erratic behaviour, he doesn't travel the same motorways as myself!"

As to where my belief comes from, and not to suggest I know more than the person next to me.

But fair enough, I shall go away and eat humble pie now.

Last edited:

This was in reply to:

"If Cinek believes that traffic management reduces congestion by reducing tail-gating and erratic behaviour, he doesn't travel the same motorways as myself!"

As to where my belief comes from, and not to suggest I know more than the person next to me.

But fair enough, I shall go away and eat humble pie now.

Well it is almost lunch time:thumb:

yes please :thumb:

Well, stevieb15 did that one for me, but here's another of yours from another thread, on no waiting signage, also in response to a comment of mine:

"This wasn't my ' I think it matters' but I know for the fact, it does.

This comes from years of experience in working with local authorities and knowledge of various regulations they must follow."

Forgive me for thinking you are averse to what you perceive (wrongly in my case) as a challenge to your knowledge.

You may well have superior knowledge if you are or have been involved in the 'highways industry', I wouldn't dispute it, but please don't get uppity when someone asks you, as I have, for authentication of what you are saying. If you are trying to help the members of the forum in certain matters, what you say will be more credible if you validate your remarlks when asked.

Illustrates your mentallity. You are clearly more interested in avoiding prosecution than complying with a speed limit. The speed limit is a maximum permitted speed, not a minimum. Is it necessary to be so childishly insulting to 'lesser mortals'?

ACPO guidlines or 'true speed'; which is it??

Yes, agreed and yes.......and which ever you prefer, any more dumb questions?

:bannana:

Can someone explain the logic as to why the variable speed limits varied from 60-50-40-40-50-40-50-60-50-40, and so on, on the M62 last night when there was very little traffic and the weather was ok eventually to only have a highway maintenance truck dropping cones 5+ miles after the initial speed reduction.

Also does anyone find that they can't actually clearly read the limit until fairly close to the signs in which case you have to slam your brakes if going too fast (50 in a 40 on a quiet stretch of motorway!), or is that my eyesight failing?

Can someone explain the logic as to why the variable speed limits varied from 60-50-40-40-50-40-50-60-50-40, and so on, on the M62 last night when there was very little traffic and the weather was ok eventually to only have a highway maintenance truck dropping cones 5+ miles after the initial speed reduction.

That's only 3-4 living beings working on the back of that lorry, making a feeble attempt to ensure your day-to-day journey is safe, for whom quite obviously, you have no concern whatsoever.

Maybe there are no other gantires, closer to where they work.
Maybe your 5miles + was in fact closer to a mile.

Also does anyone find that they can't actually clearly read the limit until fairly close to the signs in which case you have to slam your brakes if going too fast (50 in a 40 on a quiet stretch of motorway!), or is that my eyesight failing?

Personally, I have no problems ni seeing illuminated gantry, day or night.

Have you ever used that section of M62 recently or do you just like to interpret things in the worst possible way?

Anyone with a more meaningful response as to why the speed needs to vary so much over a 5+ mile stretch?

Have you ever used that section of M62 recently or do you just like to interpret things in the worst possible way?

Anyone with a more meaningful response as to why the speed needs to vary so much over a 5+ mile stretch?

Can't help I'm afraid, I find it just as baffling as you do.

I have found the same problem with the variable speed limits on the bottom end of the M1. Sunday morning, good weather, very light traffic, no sign of any road works, and yet the variable limits are on, varying between 60, 50 and 40 seamingly at random.

What I find even more baffling are the government's proposals to spend tens of billions on HS2 on the pretext that high speed travel between London and Birmingham is essential to the financial wellbeing of the country, and yet we are being forced to travel artificially slowly on the motorway network.

Part of my job involves investigating RTCs and dealing with fatalities which were results of such incidents.

Is that meaningful enough for you?

Operator/programming/technical error? At least twice a week, weekdays and weekends, I join the M25 at Junction 14 northbound/clockwise between 8:15 and 10:15 in the evening and at least some of the variable speed gantry signs up to J15 are invariably lit, usually with a 40 or 50 mph limit, and the annunciator board reads "Queue Ahead". It has been like this for months.

Traffic has never been more than moderate, and there hasn't been a queue yet....

^^^^

21:00 is normally the start time for night time road works.

Maybe there is closure being installed or about to be installed, hence the speed limit reduction.

Part of my job involves investigating RTCs and dealing with fatalities which were results of such incidents.

Is that meaningful enough for you?

No, I'm afraid it's not. That part of your job, as wonderful as it may be, does not explain the need to randomly alter the speed at each gantry on a quietish stretch of motorway. Perhaps try and understand the question I asked instead of interjecting all high and mighty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom