Speeding question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br0ke

I was out walking the dog on Sunday night at 21.45 and something caught my eye in the dusk. About 50m from me on one side of a nearly empty 1 mile long stretch of 40mph dual carriageway was a car stopped with someone knelt down talking in through the passenger window. A closer look revealed it was a policeman. I couldn't see his partner or car so thought "that's strange".
I crossed the road and there stood behind a bus stop was another policeman with a radar gun. I did comment to him that he was "well hidden tonight". Anyway as I walked on a car came towards me and I would estimate the speed to be 70+. Not exactly going for it but it was excessive. As it went by me I looked around and the policeman had stood out on the road and waved his red light. The car initially didn't break and then his moment of panic kicked in. He had to swerve around the policeman who had to jump off the road.

Now at that time of night on that dual carriageway 50-60 is safe (200m further along it becomes unrestricted 70mph) but the car was going way too fast for a 40mph zone.

My question is this - can the policeman issue a ticket as there is no corroborating evidence. He only had his Laser and there was no camera. His mate could not possibly have seen what happened as he was across the road and knelt down in another car and it was quite dark.

Thoughts?

I would watch something similar in London not far from St Pauls from a pub window back in 1991. Two policeman some distance apart working a red light that people liked to run. The first would signal the other (when a car would run the light) who would subsequently pull the car over and issue a ticket. They were very busy and would work the corner for an hour or so and then move on.

I had never seen that before and have never since come to think of it, it sure made for entertaining pints!

Regards to all, W.

Moral of the story.

Sleeping policemen slow more cars down than ones that jump out in front of cars. Dead policemen gather no evidence.

I have to agree. Personally I thought it rather a stupid thing to do given that from a car drivers point of view the road was totally clear - no pedestrians or other traffic and then suddenly a policeman is standing there waving a red light.
The light conditions were probably the worst possible as the high vis jackets aren't visible enough at that time of evening

It gets down to where you are, in England & Wales the short answer is yes, assuming he got the vrm. In Scotland I believe a second officer has to corroborate all offences. Having said that, ACPO guidlines are that the officer should be clearly visible to motorists (which clearly he isn't if he's hiding behind a bus shelter) and I've not seen a UK officer with a red light in his hand to stop traffic?

I was out walking the dog on Sunday night at 21.45 and something caught my eye in the dusk. About 50m from me on one side of a nearly empty 1 mile long stretch of 40mph dual carriageway was a car stopped with someone knelt down talking in through the passenger window. A closer look revealed it was a policeman. I couldn't see his partner or car so thought "that's strange".
I crossed the road and there stood behind a bus stop was another policeman with a radar gun. I did comment to him that he was "well hidden tonight". Anyway as I walked on a car came towards me and I would estimate the speed to be 70+. Not exactly going for it but it was excessive. As it went by me I looked around and the policeman had stood out on the road and waved his red light. The car initially didn't break and then his moment of panic kicked in. He had to swerve around the policeman who had to jump off the road.

Now at that time of night on that dual carriageway 50-60 is safe (200m further along it becomes unrestricted 70mph) but the car was going way too fast for a 40mph zone.

My question is this - can the policeman issue a ticket as there is no corroborating evidence. He only had his Laser and there was no camera. His mate could not possibly have seen what happened as he was across the road and knelt down in another car and it was quite dark.

Thoughts?

Stepping out in front of a car doing 70mph sounds pretty damn stupid to me, could have caused a nasty accident!
Not really worth the risk of getting killed, or worse, causing the car to swerve and kill someone else. They need to look at this very closely if its going to become policy :eek:

All this reminds me, a copper local to here was squished and killed by jumping out in front of a transit and expecting it to stop. The transit in question was only doing 30mph!
The bosses should not be putting their officers at risk in this way.

I've not seen a UK officer with a red light in his hand to stop traffic?

It's a N.Ireland thing. They do it all the time. They wave them round in a big slow circle when it is dark.
It does catch your attention but the problem is all you see is this red light going round in a circle in front of you and if you are alert and sharp it takes about 1 second to process. If dreaming then the consequences could be fatal.

br0ke said:
................... the problem is all you see is this red light going round in a circle in front of you and if you are alert and sharp it takes about 1 second to process. If dreaming then the consequences could be fatal.

Phone Will Smith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom