Squealing Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
Sometimes when I just touch the brake pedal with no real pressure in my SL350 the brakes squeal quite loudly. It disappears if I brake harder or if I release them and then brake again - although I think then I am braking harder too so might be irrelevant. It doesn't happen every single time, but I would say 60% of the time.

I've checked the pads and discs and on a visual inspection everything looks OK, but as I didn't take the wheels off, I can't be 100% sure.

Obviously the cars under warranty etc. and so I'm sure the dealer will take a look for me but I wondered if this was a trait of this model?

Thanks,

Thanks fellas... Sorry for leaving the year out, it's a 2007 and I've only owned it for 4 weeks approx. I don't know when, if ever, the brakes have been done.

I wondered if it could be that some anti squeal plates or grease had been left out (or worn out)... Copperslip (or whatever the MB dealer uses) it is then.

Thanks again.

Copper slip will not help. It is the wear lip on the disc that causes the squeek.

...or if you want to get the most out of your disks and they are still within minimum thickness you can grind the lip off each disk with an angle grinder like I did. :devil:

Did it on the wifes volvo 2 years ago now - no more squeeling since.

Well, the discs do have a slight lip, but the cars only covered 15,000 miles. I'd be amazed and somewhat appalled if it needed new discs already. It's perfectly normal for discs to wear of course but I've never had a vehicle yet where the wear led to squealing brakes. I'll discuss it with the dealer, but have a feeling they're not going to be too keen to fix them for free - even though I did mention it to them within a week of taking delivery of the car. I feel sure they're going to say sorry, brakes are serviceable items. If this is the case, I suspect this is something it's better (and cheaper) to get sorted by an independent. I'll have a chat with them on Thursday when I go to get my plate transferred and take it from there.

mileage doesnt determine when brake need changing, depends on driving style and conditions. Your car prob did more town driving or possibly had a very spirited driver before.

I had a front disks and pads last up to the high 50k mile mark but that is due to me doing lots of motorway miles.

I reckon the dealership possible replaced the pads only to keep cost down, so the disks you have could be on their second set of pads. Just a guess

Yep, I do understand it will depend on the amount of braking done rather than just mileage. I've reported my concerns to the dealer and they've said they'll check it out when the cars in for its new rear window... At the same time they're also going to check why the roof is now creaking going over bumps which it didn't before they checked out the heated rear window last week.

Once I get these issues sorted I think I'll have a pretty much near perfect car and then it's time to start saving for some mods :)

Regards,

Skimming

Follow the advice above first. If that doesn't work you might have to have the discs skimmed...preferably on the car.

I replaced pads, then discs...but still squeaked. My local MoT/garage place has a system called pro-cut where they skim the discs in situ. This cured the problem.

The cheapest option first, remove pads, clean calipers and replace pads with a little copper slip on rear and side of pads.

The cheapest option first, remove pads, clean calipers and replace pads with a little copper slip on rear and side of pads.

That will work but only for a few days. The disc lip needs to be removed or a small shamfer on the pads.

As I've said, I'm going to let the dealer investigate and comment first. After all, if they choose to fit new discs under the approved used car promises of there being no problems, then I'm a winner. However, and considering what they've already done (new gear shift paddles, full wheel alignment, new rear window), I'm not going to be surprised if they tell me it needs new discs and/or pads and they're serviceable items. I doubt I'll argue about this but will then take Olly's advice on the next course of action.

I'll update the thread again when the dealers have had a look.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom