Starting car in storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
Hello,

I have a W208 CLK 230K which I have owned from new and has been sorn for the last 7 years. I used to start it on a weekly basis but when I removed the battery to use on another car it ended up sitting in the garage and not being started for the last 3 years.

Got a new battery but is there any checks I should do before starting after 2 years of sitting there. I don't want to start it up and have something drastically go wrong.

I will put fresh fuel as I know whats in the tank is probably past its prime.

Hello,

I have a W208 CLK 230K which I have owned from new and has been sorn for the last 7 years. I used to start it on a weekly basis but when I removed the battery to use on another car it ended up sitting in the garage and not being started for the last 3 years.

Got a new battery but is there any checks I should do before starting after 2 years of sitting there. I don't want to start it up and have something drastically go wrong.

I will put fresh fuel as I know whats in the tank is probably past its prime.

If you can prevent it from firing, by disconnecting ignition, then it is good to turn it over for, say 20secs to help pump the oil around, before firing.

I thought petrol was normally ok for about 5 years, but I may be wrong. Fresh petrol would certainly be better though.

Neil

Turn it over by hand before using the starter motor.

Petrol degrades before even getting into the tank due to being only about 50% petrol, so changing it for new is a must.

Turn it over by hand before using the starter motor.

Petrol degrades before even getting into the tank due to being only about 50% petrol, so changing it for new is a must.

So the price goes up, and we only get half what we pay for?
What happens to the 50% non petrol stuff? when it passes through the car.

Neil

How do you turn over an engine by hand?

How do you turn over an engine by hand?

I would not have thought turning it by hand would pump much oil into the galleries?
Even the starter is slower than start up speed, but does at least move the oil a bit. I guess it would have drained a lot down in 3 years?...
I have always used the "spin on starter" first trick before allowing to fire. This applies even more to cars with mechanical fuel pumps.
Turning by hand will only confirm if it's seized?

Neil

I would not have thought turning it by hand would pump much oil into the galleries?
Even the starter is slower than start up speed, but does at least move the oil a bit. I guess it would have drained a lot down in 3 years?...
I have always used the "spin on starter" first trick before allowing to fire. This applies even more to cars with mechanical fuel pumps.
Turning by hand will only confirm if it's seized?

Neil

Turning by hand will remove the rust formed on the bores. Spinning on the starter may break the rings.

Take out the spark plugs - this will remove compression and make it easy to turn over first

Thanks - as I have a non-runner about to appear which the current owner says he's kept turning by hand I now know what he's talking about!

Oh , and on a car that hasn't turned in a while , before turning by hand squirt a little oil in through the spark plug holes , this will give some lubrication rather than scraping dry metal .

Well I attempted to start the car and all I got was about 8 seconds or running time before it cut out. Now it just cranks the engine but refuses to turn on.

I replaced all the plugs as I have a spare set and added fresh fuel. I also gave the battery a charge overnight.

When the key is in the position 2 it sound like the fuel pump is running constantly and then cuts out for 5 seconds and then runs again.

Any thoughts on a possible culprit for this or where would be the best place to look to identify the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom