• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Still searching….

JamRocky

Car
Mercedes CL203 200CDI
Insurance company has finally coughed up an appropriate amount for the car I lost and I’m still looking for a reasonably priced C…
I’ve spotted this as a 2007 so early W204 and wondered what you thought?
The dealer seems to have quite a good reputation from the reviews I can find. We all know it’s impossible to please everyone, but a lot of positive things said.
MOT history doesn’t look disturbing and they tell me the maintenance history is decent including having just been serviced…
I need to find a car pretty quickly now as I only have a week of the hire car left.
Here it is…
Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale
YT57 WMF … It’s too far away to test drive which I know some of you will detest!

Attachments

• B20B8B81-1EB7-41C5-8E7E-B4A18D02B1E0.jpeg
    B20B8B81-1EB7-41C5-8E7E-B4A18D02B1E0.jpeg
    948.9 KB · Views: 22
Passenger side rear door does not look like a great paint match........

Forget it folks. I just rang the dealer again and apparently it’s developed a fault and they won’t be taking deposits on it. Also told me there’s a 1000 people calling about it…. Moving on! 👉🏼

I saw this one too, but I’m starting to think these are all just a pile of sh!t… Problem is all brands of used car are ridiculously overpriced. Even total crap that I wouldn’t consider driving. P!sses me off so much that one non accident fault later and I’ve gone from a decent Mercedes that I looked after and trusted to barely being able to find anything that isn’t a dog!

Ideally it’s hasn’t been a good time to buy used cars during the last year, due to prices, as as the other poster said, the ones which are rank, are also demanding higher prices, but unfortunately one can’t choose when to buy, especially like the op, who has to replace one. Good luck OP

Insurance company has finally coughed up an appropriate amount for the car I lost and I’m still looking for a reasonably priced C…
I’ve spotted this as a 2007 so early W204 and wondered what you thought?
The dealer seems to have quite a good reputation from the reviews I can find. We all know it’s impossible to please everyone, but a lot of positive things said.
MOT history doesn’t look disturbing and they tell me the maintenance history is decent including having just been serviced…
I need to find a car pretty quickly now as I only have a week of the hire car left.
Here it is…
Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale
YT57 WMF … It’s too far away to test drive which I know some of you will detest!
How much did the insurane co up their offer by?

Ideally it’s hasn’t been a good time to buy used cars during the last year, due to prices, as as the other poster said, the ones which are rank, are also demanding higher prices, but unfortunately one can’t choose when to buy, especially like the op, who has to replace one. Good luck OP
Thank you. Absolute crap right now is quite a lot money…

How much did the insurane co up their offer by?
About an additional £985.00. I did show them that it still was not quite enough to get a really decent version of what I had, but I don’t think they were going to go further. I knew I would have to add to buying the next car. I have a bit extra to play with, but I’m looking at an early W204 now. I really want to avoid going back to a 203. Not that I think a decent one is bad. I don’t, but I’m seeing cars are now thousands more than they were 18 months ago. Dealers in my area have got very run of the mill, older, high mileage cars and everything starts at £3.5k. I’m talking about pretty standard Fiat or Ford Fiestas. Those were a grand 18 months ago! So, Mercs are at insane prices. I’ve lost my car and really only have dogs, super high milers or something very old available to me… Sucks big time!

Rocky, what's your max. budget, wants and no-nos and roughly how far are you willing to travel?
It’s lowly really and a long shot. £4K … Looking for a W204 with a 220cdi. In an ideal world an estate, but tall order. Saloon is fine too, but needs to be an auto.
I am open minded to other models like an E, but it’s too much for what I need really. A late CLK might be worth considering, but as a lone parent with a toddler the hire car highlighted the need for 4 doors. I don’t want an A or a B really. B’s were practically worthless 18 months ago and now cost as much as everything else. It’s a bizarre market.
Travel wise, I’m not fussed. I can drop the hire car off anywhere where there’s a branch, so most places. Ideally no more than 200-250 miles from the South West though. I mean, going to Scotland would be a drag of a drive!

Would you consider another prestige brand as your options are a little limited?

Audi / BMW ?
Left field - an X type estate?
Are Saab's too old?

Understand if you want to stick to a Merc, but you've only a week left and a hard budget......

I know it is up on the miles and 6 owners but if the service history stacks up these older om646 and 5 speed auto is robust as they come - and there may be room for a haggle - I'd be taking a look in your shoes.

Understand if you want to stick to a Merc, but you've only a week left and a hard budget......
Noting this and a possibility of needing to get real with the timescales involved (no offence intended), buying at this end of the market is a total lottery full of dogs and you can be waiting a long time for something to come up that won't mercilessly rinse you for repairs month in month out (I have bitter first-hand experience).

In order to get something in budget, on time, and not a money pit, you might well have to take what you can get that is cheap and mechanically sound, at least to tide you over and take away the pressure of finding the needle of a car you are looking for (they do exist) in a haystack of turds.

How about something like this?
£1,500
Very low miles
This era of Pugs are usually renowned for rock solid paintwork

Might be a bit far, but you get the idea. Loads of 207s and 307s on low mileage around or just above this price. Would need to check service history, mechanical condition etc.

You could then save up another £1,500, allowing you to buy your £4k Merc for cash at a time convenient to you i.e. you can pounce on the uncorn when it turns up rather than having to sell the Pug. Then sell the Pug (or whatever you stop gap buy) at your convenience and hopefully avoid firesale selling price on the car you are getting rid of. Plus the Mercs might have come down a bit, but the Pug can get much lower!

I know it is up on the miles and 6 owners but if the service history stacks up these older om646 and 5 speed auto is robust as they come - and there may be room for a haggle - I'd be taking a look in your shoes.
That is a good find, under budget as well, looks nice and clean.

I did see this one, but I figured with up to £4K to spend I might find one with lower miles? I’m open to a W203 estate if it’s decent. I’ve actually seen a few W204 estates this morning 08/09 that are in budget. Elegance spec so not sport styling, but I kind of like that.

Would you consider another prestige brand as your options are a little limited?

Audi / BMW ?
Left field - an X type estate?
Are Saab's too old?

I’ve had Audi… A4, A6 and a TT. I’m not saying they are bad at all. Just don’t appeal to me like. Merc. I’m open minded though although the ones I’ve seen are the same prices anyway.
I’ve had 3 series BMW as well. I’m not into them. A lot of them seem to be very poorly maintained as well.

Noting this and a possibility of needing to get real with the timescales involved (no offence intended), buying at this end of the market is a total lottery full of dogs and you can be waiting a long time for something to come up that won't mercilessly rinse you for repairs month in month out (I have bitter first-hand experience).

In order to get something in budget, on time, and not a money pit, you might well have to take what you can get that is cheap and mechanically sound, at least to tide you over and take away the pressure of finding the needle of a car you are looking for (they do exist) in a haystack of turds.

How about something like this?
£1,500
Very low miles
This era of Pugs are usually renowned for rock solid paintwork

Might be a bit far, but you get the idea. Loads of 207s and 307s on low mileage around or just above this price. Would need to check service history, mechanical condition etc.

You could then save up another £1,500, allowing you to buy your £4k Merc for cash at a time convenient to you i.e. you can pounce on the uncorn when it turns up rather than having to sell the Pug. Then sell the Pug (or whatever you stop gap buy) at your convenience and hopefully avoid firesale selling price on the car you are getting rid of. Plus the Mercs might have come down a bit, but the Pug can get much lower!
It’s good advice. I’ve never had difficulty buying a car like this before and the prices were much less. Old, crap and poorly maintained cars are still very expensive right now. Bad time to have my car crashed into!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom