• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Why is this happening ?

Used EVs that fell in value most during turbulent year for prices

Used EVs that fell in value most during turbulent year for prices
While the first reaction is a quick rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus.... All you're looking at is the disappearance of the tax break.

That said, we've known that all new cars are taking a bath because the industry's resolved the constipation of 21/22.....

And we've known that new EV's enjoyed a boom on the back of company car tax breaks and low interest rates.

The used price for an EV has to be closer to ICE levels to attract the private buyer.

For completeness, we ought to look at how much the comparable ICE vehicles have dropped - from Golf to MINI.

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 13.24.35.png

Last edited:
Maybe a market correction is happening. We've had a reduced market for new cars post-covid - and some people who really feel they have to have an EV or other type of car have been paying a premium.

Over the last few months there has been an increase in the number of more aggressively price lease deals on offer - which I would take as a sign of the manufacturers having unallocated production slots on some lines.

Local radio was advertising 0% on new Skoda Enyaq with immediate delivery. I would assume they're trying hard to avoid a headline discount on the price and offer via monthlies.

Local dealer was advertising pre-reg MG EVs at substantial discount from new.
Cupra pinged Mrs Spiky an email the other day offering 0% finance on PCPs across the range including EVs.

Cupra pinged Mrs Spiky an email the other day offering 0% finance on PCPs across the range including EVs.
Tesla are offering 0% finance AND discounts on list for delivery in Q3

With much more to come as we get closer to the arrival of the facelift 3 in Spring 2024.

I just received an email from my Hyundai dealer saying that I "...have been chosen along with only a handful of other customers in the region to receive considerable financial support in upgrading to a brand new or pre-owned model at a significantly reduced price." Business is slow, I guess?

(BTW, my car is on a 4-year lesse, I don't think I could replace it even if I wanted to, and I don't want to anyway..... ).

Just had a ride in a brand new electric cab (23 plate). The cabbie, and elderly gentleman, was moaning that he liked his old Diesel Vito better.... he also said that the last generation of

Which is the approach that most European countries have taken in city centres with a pollution problem.

London's different because Sadiq is just raising millions to buy votes and subsidise empty buses that no-one uses.
If they banned the cars completely I imagine those complaining on here would be saying a fee based system would work better. 😄

I said near the start of this thread that an outright ban would’ve been better.
Hmm…. Of course you’d say that now that it’s been implemented this way. I don’t believe for a second you’d have accepted the science or reasoning behind the implementation of said zone regardless from looking at your previous comments.

I reckon the argument would have been ‘my mate Dave drives 1 day a month to appointments, now he’s forced to replace his perfectly reliable Euro 5 diesel because of the ban - if only it had been a small daily charge which would have convinced regular travellers to switch and left occasional users of the roads in the zone alone.’ It makes sense….

Hmm…. Of course you’d say that now that it’s been implemented this way. I don’t believe for a second you’d have accepted the science or reasoning behind the implementation of said zone regardless from looking at your previous comments.

I reckon the argument would have been ‘my mate Dave drives 1 day a month to appointments, now he’s forced to replace his perfectly reliable Euro 5 diesel because of the ban - if only it had been a small daily charge which would have convinced regular travellers to switch and left occasional users of the roads in the zone alone.’ It makes sense….

Personally, I would like to see a blanket ban on private cars entering busy city centres... but that's just me, I guess.

Oh dear. 😔😔

If they banned the cars completely I imagine those complaining on here would be saying a fee based system would work better. 😄
For sure, and still the most sensible idea for the original congestion zone which is a small part of the area inside the North and South Circular.

No European country would be so daft as to ban ten year old diesels in 250 square miles around a city centre.

The natives would be setting fire to their motors on the streets.

My issue has never been about stinky old diesels. I’ve never owned a diesel car btw.

My problem is the way Kahn is going about it.
So the issue doesn’t affect you in any way apart from the positive impact of the air quality improvements.

So I guess you’re arguing on behalf of people who ‘can’t afford’ to replace their car with a compliant one (despite being given a minimum of £2000 to do so) - but on the other hand you’d rather an outright ban... I’m failing to see which ‘side’ you’re actually on?

or is your personal dislike of Khan (which you seem to be quite vocal about) the main reason you’re so passionate about being against the ULEZ expansion? 🤷‍♂️

So the issue doesn’t affect you in any way apart from the positive impact of the air quality improvements.

So I guess you’re arguing on behalf of people who ‘can’t afford’ to replace their car with a compliant one (despite being given a minimum of £2000 to do so) - but on the other hand you’d rather an outright ban... I’m failing to see which ‘side’ you’re actually on?

or is your personal dislike of Khan (which you seem to be quite vocal about) the main reason you’re so passionate about being against the ULEZ expansion? 🤷‍♂️
Read my comments from the first page onwards.

Read my comments from the first page onwards.
Ah ok - so you said ‘Khans all about the ££££’ quite early on, but if you switch to a compliant car (using the scrappage money if your car is worth sub £2k for a ‘free’ upgrade) he makes no £££…. 🤷‍♂️ So the only reason he makes £££ is because people are adamant in driving an old diesel in London when the fuel savings will be relatively marginal (if any at all) with that usage in comparison to an equivalent petrol.

So do you discount all the positives of the ULEZ then? The potential health benefits don’t matter?

Ah ok - so you said ‘Khans all about the ££££’ quite early on, but if you switch to a compliant car (using the scrappage money if your car is worth sub £2k for a ‘free’ upgrade) he makes no £££…. 🤷‍♂️ So the only reason he makes £££ is because people are adamant in driving an old diesel in London when the fuel savings will be relatively marginal (if any at all) with that usage in comparison to an equivalent petrol.

So do you discount all the positives of the ULEZ then? The potential health benefits don’t matter?
You’ve worked that out from reading all my posts have yiu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom