• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

It’s where you pay more for the same product, and have to face the inconvenience of driving to the place, parking (with the high chance of getting your car dinged), wasting time looking around (often meaning your family members will buy other unnecessary stuff) and then carrying said item back to your car and then driving back home (whilst probably getting stuck in traffic)…
Bar the 'carrying', that's recharging an EV when home or work place recharging is impossible - to a tee!

On which it also has a miniscule effect.

Whatever green clothes it gets dressed in, it's still very clearly primarily a money-raising mechanism - i.e. a tax - so Citizen Khan can try to plug TfL's financial hole that he managed to create through his policies. What is most disgraceful is that through its expansion he is knowingly imposing a tax on a swathe of people who cannot vote either for him or against him, and who - to a large extent - don't benefit from effective public transport. Whatever happened to "no taxation without representation"?
I think I mentioned this before.

There are tens of thousands of people that for one reason or another live just outside the M25 but commute to areas just inside. They also have children that go to school just in the ULEZ as well.

Around where I live it will be London Colney, St Albans and Welwyn Garden City. People moved to these places from NW London because it was cheaper to live there but they can easily drive into areas of NW London where they can earn more dough.

These workers are driving 13,14 or 15 plate diesels which are in great condition and well looked after but will now cost them £12.50 a day to drive to work. They cannot afford to upgrade nor as some bright spark here mentioned buy a cheap petrol runabout because they need the reliability to drive 40 miles a day, 6 or 7 days a week.

What Kahn or the ULEZ supporters don’t seem to realise are that these are key workers and it’s these workers (traditionally Labour voters) who are being stung. They can’t afford newer cars so instead they’ll leave their jobs and look for employment elsewhere creating a shortage of nurses, teachers etc.
I also get the impression that the London Mayor neither knows the workers of London well or actually gives a **** about them.

And because these critical workers live just outside London they cannot vote to get Khan out.

Shameful really.

Last edited:
The black cab drivers that I spoke to, all drive 100% on electricity while in London, charging on a supercharger during breaks (many taxi ranks around here have fast chargers installed), and only use the petrol engine to commute to and from home as most live outside London. A taxi is a business, and has to be run economically or they'll turn a loss. Next time you walk around Central London, see if you can find a single LEVC taxi that runs its petrol engine.
So these taxi drivers take "breaks" and don't routinely drive 300 miles during a day without a drink or meal break ?

Bar the 'carrying', that's recharging an EV when home or work place recharging is impossible - to a tee!
🥱 thanks for your insight as a non-EV owner 😂 P.S. wrong thread.

I worked on the Marylebone Road in the early '80s and it was pretty dire. Our office was on the 1st floor and had no aircon, so in summer we either fried with the windows shut or choked on the traffic fumes with them open. HR said there was no legal maximum for office temperature, only a minimum. So not a problem. Gotta love retail companies eh (this was British Home Stores head office).
Briefly going off subject, this reminds me of when I ran a sophisticated test facility at BT’s research department. Three sides of the tall dedicated building were glass, often resulting in excessively high (but, as you say, not illegal) temperatures for my staff to endure. Even with the 4m high doors open (not a problem in the middle of a disused airfield) it was still like an oven.

I tracked down some film to go onto the glass to reflect the heat whilst letting light through, and put in a request to have it fitted. My request was rejected on the grounds of the cost. It seemed that my people didn’t matter!

So I submitted “evidence” (cough, cough) that the £1million + of test equipment was failing in the heat. Lo and behold a budget miraculously appeared for the glass film!

Even with the 4m high doors open (not a problem in the middle of a disused airfield) it was still like an oven.

Is that the place at Martlesham Heath, visible from the A12?

I worked on the Marylebone Road in the early '80s and it was pretty dire. Our office was on the 1st floor and had no aircon, so in summer we either fried with the windows shut or choked on the traffic fumes with them open. HR said there was no legal maximum for office temperature, only a minimum. So not a problem. Gotta love retail companies eh (this was British Home Stores head office).
In fact there is no legal minimum working temperature either .... never has been... just one of those things that everyone assumes. There is health and safety guidance and advice on it.... but there has never been a law.
Although there's no legal maximum or minimum working temperature, health and safety guidance is that a reasonable temperature should usually be at least 16°C. If much of the work involves a lot of physical effort, it's 13°C. What is reasonable also depends on the working environment and type of work and is of course open to interpretation.

In fact there is no legal minimum working temperature either .... never has been... just one of those things that everyone assumes. There is health and safety guidance and advice on it.... but there has never been a law.
Although there's no legal maximum or minimum working temperature, health and safety guidance is that a reasonable temperature should usually be at least 16°C. If much of the work involves a lot of physical effort, it's 13°C. What is reasonable also depends on the working environment and type of work and is of course open to interpretation.
When I was working in Riyadh the legal maximum external temperature was 40C. The various large temperature displays around the city never went above 39C, no matter how hot it felt!

Ahem ... Factories Act 1961 ... amended 1973 ... minimum of 60F (clearly old money) 1 hour after starting work.

Schedule 3 (?), but the old memory is now failing.

Sorry - HR pedant alert - started in 1974 until 2004.

Ahem ... Factories Act 1961 ... amended 1973 ... minimum of 60F (clearly old money) 1 hour after starting work.

Schedule 3 (?), but the old memory is now failing.

Sorry - HR pedant alert - started in 1974 until 2004.
So since 2004 we’ve had no minimum temp in the workplace?

One of my customers is a fish factory. The temperature OUTSIDE the giant refrigerators is Nordic. Inside it's Siberia.
I’ve swept snow off a roof many times before I can begin work.

One of my customers is a fish factory. The temperature OUTSIDE the giant refrigerators is Nordic. Inside it's Siberia.

45 years ago I was working for Birds Eye and their factory cold stores were certainly pretty chilly ... -35C IIRC. I walked through one in normal office clothing once - had to leave my glasses outside as the sudden change in temperature could apparently crack lenses. Back then the only data capture devices that worked reliably in them for stock checks etc. were crayons writing on forms with extra big boxes :D From memory the workers inside did one hour on, one hour off. Grimsby was the fish factory, I had monthly meetings there and would often visit Hull (which did vegetables) as well ... no Humber bridge back then though.

What a fantastic thing to do, I think we need more Bat sanctuaries fitting on many,many conveniently placed poles around the UK, ;-)

We need to protect our Bats .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom