• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

In my link above ,
the story from the court case seems to imply that the incorrect signage for the existing low emissions zone which has been in place for years can now be used to challenge ALL fines which have been issued so far , as well as all future signs for the Ulez expansion tomorrow ….this might actually cause some problems

People will find what they want to in statistics.

NOX levels have been decreasing since before 2019, but there will be other contributing factors that will have helped here.

Although ULEZ is a relatively recent scheme, the tax breaks on EVs and the fact that a good chunk of London commuters driving newish/modern vehicles may have helped here. A huge number of new cars are leased or financed and swapped every 3 years - when did Euro 6 come in…?

So some automatic improvements as older cars are phased out and newer ones phased in, perhaps going forwards COVID might have helped thing’s significantly since 2020/2021 too.

I think the timing is relatively fair tbh, the public have had plenty of time to prepare. Many have already made the change, those that haven’t as yet need will need a bit more of a nudge - I’m sure the £12.50 charge will increase in time if it’s not enough?

Change takes time though, and many people don’t like change.

People will find what they want to in statistics.

NOX levels have been decreasing since before 2019, but there will be other contributing factors that will have helped here.

Although ULEZ is a relatively recent scheme, the tax breaks on EVs and the fact that a good chunk of London commuters driving newish/modern vehicles may have helped here. A huge number of new cars are leased or financed and swapped every 3 years - when did Euro 6 come in…?

So some automatic improvements as older cars are phased out and newer ones phased in, perhaps going forwards COVID might have helped thing’s significantly since 2020/2021 too.

I think the timing is relatively fair tbh, the public have had plenty of time to prepare. Many have already made the change, those that haven’t as yet need will need a bit more of a nudge - I’m sure the £12.50 charge will increase in time if it’s not enough?

Change takes time though, and many people don’t like change.

The expansion to the whole of Greater London/the M25 (which is what most people are complaining about) was only announced Nov 25th 2022, during a huge cost of living crisis when people were struggling to heat their homes. That's only 9 months - you think that's 'plenty of time'?

That would may well apply if they were to part ex out of London, but can you really see any London dealer giving market part ex?
"Sorry guv, no demand for non euro 6 diesels now"

This might be the case for a local trader who has a forecourt in a disused petrol station, but all the big dealers just send to auction houses the cars they take in as Px.

The last two second hand cars I bought from a London dealer had their previous owners one in Scotland and the other in Birmingham.

The expansion to the whole of Greater London/the M25 (which is what most people are complaining about) was only announced Nov 25th 2022, during a huge cost of living crisis when people were struggling to heat their homes. That's only 9 months - you think that's 'plenty of time'?

Seeing as this thread has been active since June 2022 and the original ‘petition’ it linked was started in March… it was clearly common knowledge that this would be happening at some point before Nov 22… some people just (wrongly) hoped that it could be forced back… unfortunately the diseases these pollutants cause don’t take breaks for the ‘cost of living crisis’.

The only counter argument to the scheme seems to be that because some can’t easily afford to change car, they should be given free rein to pollute as they see fit… with no penalty. This is despite the fact that a ULEZ petrol can be had for peanuts, albeit a cheap one won’t be flash… but then again we are in a cost of living crisis right?

It's so obviously primarily about money and bankrolling the installation of cameras across the capital.
Nothing like a good old conspiracy.

The only counter argument to the scheme seems to be that because some can’t easily afford to change car, they should be given free rein to pollute as they see fit… with no penalty. This is despite the fact that a ULEZ petrol can be had for peanuts, albeit a cheap one won’t be flash… but then again we are in a cost of living crisis right?
When you say it like that it’s all seems easy but as you know real life never quite works out like that.

When you say it like that it’s all seems easy but as you know real life never quite works out like that.
Fair enough, and I do empathise with people who may have a thousand issues going on, and this has just added one more worry to the list. But unfortunately that’s just the way things go sometimes.

In my link above ,
the story from the court case seems to imply that the incorrect signage for the existing low emissions zone which has been in place for years can now be used to challenge ALL fines which have been issued so far , as well as all future signs for the Ulez expansion tomorrow ….this might actually cause some problems

I bet that TfL will appeal. Very interesting, whichever way it goes.

Fair enough, and I do empathise with people who may have a thousand issues going on, and this has just added one more worry to the list. But unfortunately that’s just the way things go sometimes.
Unfortunately it is.

So you need to listen to what people say because they’re most probably genuine. People are worried and when you spout on about your free Tesla and talking about less fortunate peoples rust boxes or rot boxes or whatever you called them you going to get peoples backs up.

Unfortunately it is.

So you need to listen to what people say because they’re most probably genuine. People are worried and when you spout on about your free Tesla and talking about less fortunate peoples rust boxes or rot boxes or whatever you called them you going to get peoples backs up.
I can’t remember mentioning my car on this thread, what relevance would it have? It’s just another ULEZ compliant car, along with the thousands of other options out there that start from a few hundred pounds.

Like I’ve always said, it’s not about buying an EV is it… it’s not a Zero Emission Zone…

To me, it comes across as selfish to suggest a scheme introduced to improve air quality should be halted because someone owns an old diesel… especially now the scrappage scheme is open to all and £2k easily buys a compliant petrol car.

Last edited:
So you need to listen to what people say because they’re most probably genuine.
What advantage does whining on here about the expansion have? It’s happening in the next 4 hours. Realistically it’s done now.

Take the scrappage money and get a ULEZ petrol. Job done.

I can’t remember mentioning my car on this thread, what relevance would it have? It’s just another ULEZ compliant car, along with the thousands of other options out there that start from a few hundred pounds.

Like I’ve always said, it’s not about buying an EV is it… it’s not a Zero Emission Zone…
Incredible.

Reactions: JHS
Perhaps our regular diet is far more dangerous than driving ICE cars around. Maybe Citizen Khan will change tack and put a tax on takeaways etc?

Perhaps our regular diet is far more dangerous than driving ICE cars around. Maybe Citizen Khan will change tack and put a tax on takeaways etc?

Ah yeah... whataboutism.

Start campaigning for a fast food tax then…

The difference being you can choose to eat fast food or avoid it, you can’t choose to avoid breathing when walking down the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom