Supaguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

optimist22

Car
volvoC30
Offered this by salesman as well as 24 month extended warranty on W169. Not taking extended warranty as I use a super indy and will not change.
However, wondering about supaguard. Has anyone had it ? Does it make a difference ?

Don't bother. Use the money for a proper detail and coating.

+1

IMHO Supagard from an MB dealer is just a way of them bumping up profits. Like tyre insurance :crazy:

As Stumpy suggested better to get a proper detail (even new cars often benefit from basic polishing/paint correction) and then either a good wax (if you're prepared to keep topping it every 3 months) or a sealant glaze (if you're not).

I used to use Zymol years ago when I was fitter & younger but on my last car I had a full correction and then Carlack 68 Nano, which lasts about 6 months - on my latest car I had a paint correction (two stage polish) and the Gtechniq CS Black, topped with Exo - this is a sealant with a hydrophobic coating on top - they say 7 years but I'll be happy if it makes care easier and lasts a couple of years.

HTH Mark :)

Thanks for your prompt and very clear, helpful reply. What coating would you recommend ?

Don't bother. Use the money for a proper detail and coating.

Yep my thoughts on it too, We had it on Our new X-trail totally waste of money, Tar spots were very hard to remove, so i took it all off the exterior and used my own sealent now the Spots are soo much easier to get rid of.

The super guard on the interior i must admit is very good though.

Looking to buy I have found this forum very helpful indeed in giving me the information I need for decision making. It is appreciated that people take the time and trouble to share their knowledge and experience with others.
Hopefully, in the future, I might be helpful !

We had Supagard on out SLK back in 2005 as part of the deal. Lasted about 7 years before it needed polishing. Its Fire Opal and so far no sign of the dreaded lacquer issues. Not saying Supagard made any difference to that though. If you have to pay for it it is very pricey for what it is.

+1

IMHO Supagard from an MB dealer is just a way of them bumping up profits. Like tyre insurance :crazy:

As Stumpy suggested better to get a proper detail (even new cars often benefit from basic polishing/paint correction) and then either a good wax (if you're prepared to keep topping it every 3 months) or a sealant glaze (if you're not).

I used to use Zymol years ago when I was fitter & younger but on my last car I had a full correction and then Carlack 68 Nano, which lasts about 6 months - on my latest car I had a paint correction (two stage polish) and the Gtechniq CS Black, topped with Exo - this is a sealant with a hydrophobic coating on top - they say 7 years but I'll be happy if it makes care easier and lasts a couple of years.

HTH Mark :)

Regular use of Gtechniq C2 keeps things topped up. Easy wipe on and wipe off and beads water months on end.

Not intentionally but I hadn't washed my car for 4 months and the water was just beading off the body.

Wife had Supaguard on her Volvo - ad far as I can tell it was a total waste of time and money. Paint is covered in marks from various sources and they haven't been particularly desperate to come and sort it out.

Regular use of Gtechniq C2 keeps things topped up. Easy wipe on and wipe off and beads water months on end.

Not intentionally but I hadn't washed my car for 4 months and the water was just beading off the body.

Thanks for the suggestion B-Boy - my C250 has the Crystal Serum plus Exo top-coat (instead of C2) applied, so I'm using the Quick Detailer every other wash at the moment and that seems to be keeping it looking good at the moment.

:)

Thanks for your prompt and very clear, helpful reply. What coating would you recommend ?

That would depend on a few factors Optimist:

1) What colour is your car?

2) Is the paintwork generally sound, does it have swirl marks (fine scratches caused by washing) or any more significant scratches (deep enough to catch your finger nail on)?

3) Do you enjoy/have enough time to look after your own car and keep up a regular care regime OR are you looking for minimal input and maximum longevity of protection?

:)

Rather than replying to individual posts please accept my gratitude for all responses. It really has been an amazing input for me. Now I know what I'm doing ! and will refer back to the thread when taking action.

I used to work in the trade and i think superguard cost less than £30 to buy. It is the sort of thing that, as a buyer, i would try and get thrown in as part of the deal, but would not pay for at dealer prices.

There are a lot better products out there (cheaper too) as stated above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom