Swapped w204 C63 for w205 C63 - Thoughts & Pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice purchase :thumb:

I really do still prefer the 204's more aggressive looks, which seems more in keeping with the ridiculous torque and music out the pipes :cool: I do like the new 63's but (and it's only my opinion) I don't think i'd move to a 205. Maybe an E63 as I do miss the comfort level of my old E55.

Changing subject briefly and please don't shout me down - I'm even toying with the idea of an F10 M5 :dk:

I'll get my coat o_O lol

Nice purchase :thumb:

I really do still prefer the 204's more aggressive looks, which seems more in keeping with the ridiculous torque and music out the pipes :cool: I do like the new 63's but (and it's only my opinion) I don't think i'd move to a 205. Maybe an E63 as I do miss the comfort level of my old E55.

Changing subject briefly and please don't shout me down - I'm even toying with the idea of an F10 M5 :dk:

I'll get my coat o_O lol

Keep your coat on... I got driven round the Nurburgring in an F10 M5 a couple of years ago by a pro race driver and "Ring King". OK he would have made any car feel good but that thing was awesome. Like a rocket propelled armchair.

Nice car mate, I too am a new owner of a W205 C63, love it also but found like you the Burmester Audio is really no upgrade in my eyes. Doesn't compare to my HK Audio in the previous BMW but that's the only thing and I mean the only thing I preferred in my BMW haha

Nice car mate, I too am a new owner of a W205 C63, love it also but found like you the Burmester Audio is really no upgrade in my eyes. Doesn't compare to my HK Audio in the previous BMW but that's the only thing and I mean the only thing I preferred in my BMW haha
See I'm totally surprised by the hate for the Burmester..... I think it's a definite upgrade to the HK. But you need to play with the tuning, get the surround working correctly. The previous owner had it on all the wrong settings. Try this album and I would be surprised if you are not impressed.

Jack Back Mixtape (DJ Mix)

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I agree, the HK system in my recently sold 335d was to my ears far superior to the Burmester in my new C43, and again I agree it’s about the only thing that is perhaps other than the iDrive system in the BMW which I think is far superior to the Comand system

My car is in at the dealer at the moment getting an update to the SatNav maps and a general healthcheck and the dealer has said that MB have released a bulletin regarding new brake pads to stop the risk of squealing on w205 AMGs (not sure if this is C63 specific or across other cars with the same brake set up). The good news is I'll be getting new pads - just wondered if anyone was aware of this? Was there an issue with the first iteration of brake pads and has anyone had these new ones fitted? Cheers.

My car is in at the dealer at the moment getting an update to the SatNav maps and a general healthcheck and the dealer has said that MB have released a bulletin regarding new brake pads to stop the risk of squealing on w205 AMGs (not sure if this is C63 specific or across other cars with the same brake set up). The good news is I'll be getting new pads - just wondered if anyone was aware of this? Was there an issue with the first iteration of brake pads and has anyone had these new ones fitted? Cheers.

Does the Sat Nav have a disk and is this what they are doing? I noticed that mine got a bit confused this morning and wonder if I need the same?

Does the Sat Nav have a disk and is this what they are doing? I noticed that mine got a bit confused this morning and wonder if I need the same?

Not sure. A kind member on here was good enough to send me the data card for the car and I noticed it had on there 3 years worth of updates for Comand so I took it in as the 3 years expire in May this year. Don't know if it is a disk or just a plug in job.
Chuffed about the new brake pads though - collect it back tomorrow.

This has been doing my head in for about 2 months now... The squeaking pads! I'll ring my dealer tomorrow and see what they can do. And the amount of dust they produce is quite significant too

Regarding the Burmester - I was fairly underwhelmed by it (especially compared with the individual audio in the M3 which is miles ahead) but agree the settings bring it to somewhat ok levels...

This has been doing my head in for about 2 months now... The squeaking pads! I'll ring my dealer tomorrow and see what they can do. And the amount of dust they produce is quite significant too...

Puchos - got my car back earlier today and the brake squeal is totally fixed. New (different) pads fitted all round. Silent, peaceful braking again - aahh bliss.

Puchos - got my car back earlier today and the brake squeal is totally fixed. New (different) pads fitted all round. Silent, peaceful braking again - aahh bliss.

Nice one guys, just booked mine in to see if I can get mine replaced, and also to get the sat nav updated before it goes out of warranty!

What pads did they install?

What pads did they install?

Just different OEM ones I believe. There is a lot of hoo-ha online about squealing brakes on these cars and they told me MB had issued a bulletin to dealers about authorising them to switch pads under warranty if they were squealing.

Three more observations on the difference between these two cars (intended for anyone contemplating the switch, as I was for ages)

1. I'm sure the only difference in mpg is due to engine braking. The engine braking in the 6.2 is huge - you can feel it the moment you lift off - but this lighter engine floats along when you lift off. It's a really noticeable difference, especially when approaching speed cameras.

2. I haven't looked at the figures but the different in acceleration feels like it is down to the fact that the 4.0 is so much faster from standing to say 50mph but once over 60mph or so the 6.2 has a lot more acceleration. Typical low down torque surge from a turbo machine I suppose but it feels so different it makes the 6.2 seem almost lazy off the line.

3. Without the switchable exhaust I'm not sure how the sound of the 4.0 would compare to the 6.2 but with it (I have it on all the time) the sound is much more violent/angry/aggressive. It's a bit higher pitched but the pops and bangs are hilarious. Less creamy though.

Still no sound from the brakes after the pad swap under warranty. Delighted with this car and not at all regretting moving on from the 6.2 (though that car will always be a firm favourite).

Three more observations on the difference between these two cars (intended for anyone contemplating the switch, as I was for ages)

1. I'm sure the only difference in mpg is due to engine braking. The engine braking in the 6.2 is huge - you can feel it the moment you lift off - but this lighter engine floats along when you lift off. It's a really noticeable difference, especially when approaching speed cameras.

2. I haven't looked at the figures but the different in acceleration feels like it is down to the fact that the 4.0 is so much faster from standing to say 50mph but once over 60mph or so the 6.2 has a lot more acceleration. Typical low down torque surge from a turbo machine I suppose but it feels so different it makes the 6.2 seem almost lazy off the line.

3. Without the switchable exhaust I'm not sure how the sound of the 4.0 would compare to the 6.2 but with it (I have it on all the time) the sound is much more violent/angry/aggressive. It's a bit higher pitched but the pops and bangs are hilarious. Less creamy though.

Still no sound from the brakes after the pad swap under warranty. Delighted with this car and not at all regretting moving on from the 6.2 (though that car will always be a firm favourite).

1. not sure if you've noticed but if you have the auto stop/start on, it will 'sail' at higher speeds when you lift off. There is a little icon that appears instead of the mode you're in. But in general turbo engines have so much less engine braking it's quite funny.

2. can't comment as I've never driven 204 version but I find the 205 adequate at most times

3. Even with the exhaust open I find it fairly quiet. The only exception is when in sports+ where the difference is bigger again and best after a spirited driving when the exhaust is nice and hot :)

1. Yes, "sail" mode when you're in Comfort setting disengages the gearbox when you come off the throttle and allows you to coast along in neutral. But I think you're right in saying that turbo engines in general don't have as much engine breaking as normally aspirated engines, probably because of the inherent lower compression ratio when off-boost?

2. The 4.0 definitely feels faster from lower down, and I'd say it's just as quick higher up. I suspect the surge in acceleration from the 6.2 as the mid-range torque builds makes it feel quicker even if there's no difference between the two. I'm sure there must be some objective performance figures out there to show what happens?

3. I love the sound of the 4.0 switchable exhaust and think it's just as good (if slightly different) to the 6.2 which also sounds great !

Brilliant! Just experimented with "blue sail" mode on the drive home from work puchos. Never seen that before so thanks for flagging it. I love it when new things present themselves like this.

Now one other question I have related to Comfort mode is that no matter what I do I cannot get Stop/Start to engage. I've Googled this and it seems to be true that getting all the "variables" right to engage this function is pretty damned difficult. I don't use Comfort mode normally but I really want to crack this just so I can say "done it". Has anyone managed to engage Stop/Start?

the burmeister optioned system is pants for electronic music, but when you throw rock or other mainly instrumental music, it shows its class. always needs tweaking for more bass IMO.

the 204 vs 205 comparison will always divide opinion. There is no substitute for displacement and that lump in front of the 204 is special. the FL 204s also look fabulous. They also sound fabulous. They've also usually gone through the worst of their depreciation curve and are a better buy. The throttle response is linear and when you take them to red line , they do entertain.

The 205s look mediocre from the side and rear (excluding the coupe ). They're too subtle. some don't like the exhaust compared to the 204 either. They'll depreciate a lot harder as they are newer than the 204s. The throttle is hard to control in comfort mode which can really take away from the experience , except if you're driving very calmly, then it shines. In every other respect, the 205 is a much wilder animal than a 204 and a lot more entertaining at every day driving speeds. You'll always be at the limit of grip and you can do a lot more exciting stuff with esp on. the transmission is far better , as is the handling. the tech is more up to date and though the cabin feels more cramped, is more luxurious. also much easier to hoon around and the safety tech is more advanced. On a budget, the 204 makes more sense , otherwise the 205 is a step up but you're dropping extra cash for the privilege. The M177 engine is a marvellous engine. You won't find any turbo lag. it's already 4 litres and the turbos spool up sequentially and gradually to give you a ridiculous 700nm of torque. The sound only impresses in sport plus or race when it pops and bangs. If you want to slide around at low speeds, the 205 does it best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom