Tesla Market Capitalisation grows by $140bn in One Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe Musk got it right by making an electric car that looks like car and not a pastel coloured fridge/Noddy car . Add to that it got everyone's attention by it going like stink

Maybe the world was just shocked E cars could be like this after being fed a (in the future) diet of tiny EV's that are designed to move people quietly and slowly around University campus and Some Utopian version of our future cities.

And people bought them.

Maybe Musk got it right by making an electric car that looks like car and not a pastel coloured fridge/Noddy car . Add to that it got everyone's attention by it going like stink

Maybe the world was just shocked E cars could be like this after being fed a (in the future) diet of tiny EV's that are designed to move people quietly and slowly around University campus and Some Utopian version of our future cities.

And people bought them.
Point-to-point fast they might be, but I personally found the Model S I drove to be incredibly dull, with virtually no interaction required from me other than 'switching the power on and off'.

Hats off to Musk IMHO, he faced huge challenges early on and kept to his plan and now look at him, he perservered with something totally off the cuff, a bit like Apple, almost dead but created a new frontier.
Let's not forget that Musk became a millionaire after starting a small company with $28,000 in 2000.

He sold it less than two years later for $300 million. His share was $22 million. (Back in the days when a million was something worth having)

170807-elon-musk-billionaire-2.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll take any millions “not worth having” off your hands… 😁
Young Elon spent one million of those 22 million dollars on an F1 McLaren back in 1999.

He crashed it, of course, showing Peter Thiel "what it could do." (It wasn't insured)

A million dollars in 1999 was worth something back then. That'd be a $20 million motor today. (Uncrashed)

Here's the story

Here's How Elon Musk Crashed his uninsured Mclaren F1

aTdCshXkSB6Xmq0ImZ6UYQ

Last edited:
Let's not forget that Musk became a millionaire after starting a small company with $28,000 in 2000.

He sold it less than two years later for $300 million. His share was $22 million. (Back in the days when a million was something worth having)

170807-elon-musk-billionaire-2.jpg
He’s never been a looker has he.

Young Elon spent one million of those 22 million dollars on an F1 McLaren back in 1999.

He crashed it, of course, showing Peter Thiel "what it could do." (It wasn't insured)

A million dollars in 1999 was worth something back then. That'd be a $20 million motor today. (Uncrashed)

Here's the story

Here's How Elon Musk Crashed his uninsured Mclaren F1

aTdCshXkSB6Xmq0ImZ6UYQ

I just Googled “what is one million dollars in 1999 worth today” and based upon the top few search results it seems that $1m USD in 1999 would be worth around $1.6m +/- $0.1m in 2022.

So we’re not quite yet at the point where $1m in 1999 is worth $20m today, but we live in times of rising inflation and we do still have most of 2022 ahead so perhaps there’s still time! 😁

Would the car be worth $20m today (if it hadn't been written off), though? I think that is what is meant.

Would the car be worth $20m today (if it hadn't been written off), though? I think that is what is meant.
Using the value of McLaren F1 isn’t really a commin index. The appreciation in McLaren F1 values has out performed many investments nevermind straight purchases and isn’t a. Valid basis for measuring the change in value of $1m.

It would be like saying that $1m in 2010 is equivalent to $28,600,000,000 today because if you had happened to spend $1m on Tesla stock in 2010 then that is what it would be worth today. It’s not a valid basis for indexing.

We will have petrol diesel cars and millions of them on the roads for a good 30 years IMO. The battery con is going to fall flat on its face soon as eletric prices shoot up and then shoot up again because the electric suppliers can't keep up with demand.

In about 10/15 years time you will start seeing thousands of cars stuck on motorways that have ran out of power after they have been stuck in massive queues following an accident or bad weather.

Then we will see the bigging up of hdyro powered cars. Unless new batteries are brought out that can cover 6/700 miles per fast charge.

Looks like Scottish Mortgage I/T has upped its Tesla stake to 6% now , I’m sure it was 4% for the last few months . Maybe buying more at the lower prices ?

I just Googled “what is one million dollars in 1999 worth today” and based upon the top few search results it seems that $1m USD in 1999 would be worth around $1.6m +/- $0.1m in 2022.

So we’re not quite yet at the point where $1m in 1999 is worth $20m today, but we live in times of rising inflation and we do still have most of 2022 ahead so perhaps there’s still time! 😁
Understood. That’s an annual return of 2.2%. Two points:

If you’d given that million to me (or any reputable fund manager) in 1999, I would have turned it into $10 million by now. A return of 10% compound.

My comment was a lighthearted one about the lifestyle costs of rich people. As a benchmark, you used to be able to buy a decent sized house on Martha’s Vineyard for a million bucks in 1999. These days you won’t get much change out of $20 million, although they are far more chi chi now. (Ditto Sandbanks etc)

Millionaires ain’t what they used to be.

A mind-boggling fact:

After announcing 2021 Q4 production and deliveries numbers, Tesla gained $140bn in market capitalisation in one day. To put that into perspective, that is more than the total $131.4bn market capitalisation of VW.

Fun fact: That gain values each Tesla car delivered at more than one million dollars.

Utter lunacy.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

153B9961-32CE-44A8-8C40-2D3FF109E02E.png

Tesla down 25% since the start of this post and still falling fast as part of the NASDAQ fall, the Fed’s plans for increased interest rates, and “War in Europe” Ukraine panic.

St13phil was right.

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 11.19.19.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We will have petrol diesel cars and millions of them on the roads for a good 30 years IMO. The battery con is going to fall flat on its face soon as eletric prices shoot up and then shoot up again because the electric suppliers can't keep up with demand.

In about 10/15 years time you will start seeing thousands of cars stuck on motorways that have ran out of power after they have been stuck in massive queues following an accident or bad weather.

Then we will see the bigging up of hdyro powered cars. Unless new batteries are brought out that can cover 6/700 miles per fast charge.
Do electric cars use any power while they are not moving? Surely its the other way around - petrol and diesel cars running out of fuel is a more likely scenario in your dystopian vision.
The issue with electricity is to a certain extent in your own hands. Some of us will be able to generate our own from solar cells. That will relieve some of the pressure on the grid for everyone else!
But you are right there. Electricity will continue to go up and its not just cars and travel that will be impacted by it. If only we had a far-seeing government that had done something about our dependence on fossil fuels controlled by despots many years ago everything would be hunkydory by now.

Do electric cars use any power while they are not moving? Surely its the other way around - petrol and diesel cars running out of fuel is a more likely scenario in your dystopian vision.
The issue with electricity is to a certain extent in your own hands. Some of us will be able to generate our own from solar cells. That will relieve some of the pressure on the grid for everyone else!
But you are right there. Electricity will continue to go up and its not just cars and travel that will be impacted by it. If only we had a far-seeing government that had done something about our dependence on fossil fuels controlled by despots many years ago everything would be hunkydory by now.

Basically an EV should use about the same amount of power while stationary as a ICE with stop start.

As regards despots and fossil fuels - we seem to have engineered a strategy in Europe that puts domestic and industrial energy supplies pretty much in the hands of one despot.

And furthermore as far as electricity is concerned - there is the policy to stop fitting of gas boilers. That will stick a whole lot more consumption on the electricity supply infrastructure.

A far sighted government would actively develop what's left of the North Sea, look at managed fracking, slow down the transition to EVs and non-gas heated homes, and have an extended nuclear energy programme.

A far sighted government would ...............have an extended nuclear energy programme.
You and I are agreed that we need to restart a proper "extended nuclear energy programme."

But how the can we ever persuade the public?

The only countries that are building nuclear plants are the ones who don't give a stuff about their public: China, Korea, UAE, Turkey, Russia, Japan....

and us, but only just.

I meant stuck in traffic in freezing or baking hot weather you would need to run the heaters, climate control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom