• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tesla Model 3 Facelift - Stalkless Driving

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I was reading a review of the facelift Model 3 and was intrigued to learn that Tesla has removed the steering wheel stalks, and migrated the controls previously accessed via them onto the steering wheel spokes, including the indicator switch(es). Here's a screen grab from the Owner's Manual:

ye0OayZ.jpg

This strikes me as complete ergonomic madness. It may work reasonably well in the USA where most junctions are approached with the steering wheel in (essentially) the straight ahead position, but will be hopelessly unwieldy in the UK and other countries where you often have to signal while there is a fair degree of steering lock applied or, indeed, while the wheel is being turned e.g. when exiting roundabouts.

Thoughts?

Or the Citroën CX
Pretty sure the CX had little switches behind the steering wheel so, yes, not a stalk, but they were not on the steering wheel like the new Tesla's apparently are (with the difficulty of indicating if the wheel is not pointing dead ahead, as someone else mentioned).

Trying to bring Audi drivers over to Tesla.

(They don't use them)

I had LOTS of CXs back in the day, culminating in a GTI Turbo II. If the CX had been the hatchback it looked like, I'd have had one a lot longer.

CX also had ‘town and country’ horns.
And amazing self centering steering (once yo got used to it)
Not to mention the most comfortable ride EVER.

Ir was probably too far ahead of the game.

I think the idea of more buttons on the wheel is wrong as they are getting too small to be easy to use. I had the delights of a new cla as a courtesy car a few weeks back and it had tiny buttons on each of the four spokes of the wheel but because you couldn't easily read the writing on them you had to stare to see which did what and because they were small to fit in to the spokes it was easy to press the wrong one. Ok I'm biased but the size of the buttons on my cls wheel are just great and I will happily keep the indicator and gear stalks.

Here we go again.
The UI problem isn't unique to Tesla or even EV's, of course.

I rejected a Peugeot 3008 last weekend after wasting 20 minutes trying to set up its screens and integrate my phone to its display.

"Give me a Volkswagen Audi Group or BMW," I said. (No MB available at Avis) So the keys to a BMW were passed over and in two minutes I was set up, off and running.

"Old Giffer," you may say, but I saw two other groups going through the same Peugeot 3008 troubles with the help of a "bloke from behind the desk"

We've been round this "user interface stuff" before (note the speedometer on this 1982 AM Lagonda)

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 08.13.27.png

I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve tried it.

I was ridiculed for having a phone with a big screen and no keypad. But a few years later those same people all had phones with a big screen and now keypad. Different doesn’t mean bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom