• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

To all 6 and 8 cyl owners between 6/2001 and 11/2004

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
Worldwide Recall - from Honest John website

31-3-2005: Worldwide Recall: On vehicles with six and eight-cylinder petrol engines built between June 2001 and November 2004 the voltage regulator in the alternator is being checked and if necessary replaced. On E-Class and CLS-Class models made from January 2002 to January 2005, new battery control unit software is to enhance the on-board power supply. In addition, the braking systems on E-Class, SL-Class and CLS-Class models from the production period June 2001 to March 2005 are also to be updated. Customers are being informed in writing. Mercedes-Benz has set up a special hotline to answer customers' questions: Hotline for Europe: 00800 1 777 7777

Interesting,
I would like to see the source. We have had one recall for the SBC, but that was over twelve months ago. Is this old news being re-released, or is this site stating there is a second recall?

Who if anyone has had this second brake recall. The petrol one does not concern me.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Interesting,
I would like to see the source. We have had one recall for the SBC, but that was over twelve months ago. Is this old news being re-released, or is this site stating there is a second recall?

Who if anyone has had this second brake recall. The petrol one does not concern me.

Regards,
John

There were two SBC recalls that I mentioned in a seperate thread for all early E classes. :(

Brian WH said:
There were two SBC recalls that I mentioned in a seperate thread for all early E classes. :(

Hi Brian,
I had the main SBC 'Recall'. The second one I had was purely an 'upgrade' that Mercedes-Benz carry out whenever the car goes into the dealership.

To me a Worldwide recall is when the manufacturer actually gives written notification to the owner that the car requires work to be carried out.

For the second SBC 'upgrade' I certainly never received any notification. Did you actually have two 'Recalls'? I found out about it by reading messages posted on this forum. Hence my query over this alleged news. I appreciate it is being posted in good faith, but before I engage 'my mouth' I want to find out how recent this story is. ;)

If we count these 'Upgrades' as 'Recalls' then I believe that there have been at least eleven of these upgrades that are being carried out on 211's.

Nice speaking to you,
John

Think this represents something quite unusual for a car maker. New recalls on electrics, still not clear if the E class brake item is another fix or an existing one. Actual text of Press Release:

Head of Mercedes-Benz Eckhard Cordes: "A systematic approach to quality"

Stuttgart, Mar 31, 2005

With a worldwide recall Mercedes-Benz is improving the quality of passenger cars already in the field. With this measure the head of Mercedes-Benz, Dr. Eckhard Cordes, is adding emphasis to his quality initiative: "We are now producing the best product quality ever and our aim is to ensure that those vehicles in the hands of customers which are the cause of complaints achieve a standard of quality that reflects our highest expectations."

On vehicles with six and eight-cylinder petrol engines built between June 2001 and November 2004 the voltage regulator in the alternator is being checked and if necessary replaced. On E-Class and CLS-Class models made from January 2002 to January 2005, new battery control unit software is to enhance the on-board power supply.

In addition, the braking systems on the current E-Class, SL-Class and CLS-Class models from the production period June 2001 to March 2005 are also to be updated.

Customers are being informed in writing. Mercedes-Benz has set up a special hotline to answer customers' questions:

Hotline for Europe: 00800 1 777 7777

sounds like all three apply to me; I'll be looking for that letter in the post.

calum said:
sounds like all three apply to me; I'll be looking for that letter in the post.

Morning Calum,
;) Trust you to be greedy. ;)

I think I will be contacting the free phone number just for peace of mind. It goes to show how times are changing. A few years ago the first we would know of this was when an envelope landed on the door mat requesting we return to the dealer.

On the first SBC recall, I heard about it literally months before that envelope 'fluttered' through my letterbox. I wonder how long this one will take to arrive. (if indeed there actually is one?)

Take care,
John

I've only had the one recall notice and like you John I'd heard about it months before. The fact the latest press release includes cars build up to March 2005 suggests it is a new recall.

No mention of cracking road springs yet.
Wonder how long before that becomes a recall item. Or am I just getting a bit paranoid? Who else has had this problem besides me?
- Birdman

My car is due for a service on Monday - I will bring a copy of the clipping to the dealership and see if they know about it. Any bets on the likely outcome ?!

Gloom,
I have contacted the Merecedes-Benz Helpline, they took the chassis number and informed me that the recall only applied to the petrol engined models!!!

Me being me, then queried the SBC side of the recall! One moment sir.......

Yes I can confirm that your vehicle is one of those effected and you will be getting a letter from the dealer.

I then queried whether it is something I should be worried about.

The official answer is No!

What might happen is the SBC warning light comes on to let you know the SBC has failed!!!!! The vehicle then reverts to a normal hydraulic mode.

How many times have I mentioned that I feel like I and all the other 211 owners are being used as 'beta' developers?

This is going to be the third time Mercedes-Benz have had my car back to query the SBC braking system.

Regards to you all, and thank you Nickg

John

I've driven 50,000 miles in my car without any issues with the brakes (except for a brake pad worn light once which all cars have) and I have complete confidence in them. These recalls don't cause me concern me at all.

RichardM said:
I've driven 50,000 miles in my car without any issues with the brakes (except for a brake pad worn light once which all cars have) and I have complete confidence in them. These recalls don't cause me concern me at all.

An excellent braking system and no doubt Mercedes-Benz are merely doing 'a belt and braces' job.

It is the old adage of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I for one will simply be waiting for that letter to 'flutter' onto the door mat, unless I hear anything to the contrary.

Good luck,
John

aaaw - poor Edna might need some treatment :( . I await my letter with glee :D

Quote from my dealer:

"It appears there are a few minor adjustments to make on certain cars which
will be done at the next service, nothing to worry about, it is not a recall
in the true sense of the word, if your car is affected it will be done at
the first service."

Spoke to MB: apparently, whilst some of the issues are "next service upgrades", the SBC ones, in this case, are not. The one that might affect me is, apparently, a need to add a new support bracket for the SBC wiring. The current bracket allows the wires to move too much and stretch, which can affect their resistance causing SBC to shut down (fail-safe, of course).

As a side-effect, I found out when my car left the factory (end Jan) which might be handy to know.

calum said:
Spoke to MB: apparently, whilst some of the issues are "next service upgrades", the SBC ones, in this case, are not. The one that might affect me is, apparently, a need to add a new support bracket for the SBC wiring. The current bracket allows the wires to move too much and stretch, which can affect their resistance causing SBC to shut down (fail-safe, of course).

As a side-effect, I found out when my car left the factory (end Jan) which might be handy to know.

;) I was just about to pm you to advise you contact Mercedes-Benz. ;) Unfortunately dealers are not the best source of information. You have one of the newest 211's on the forum so if your vehicle needs the recall, then rest assured that most will.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
I then queried whether it is something I should be worried about.

The official answer is No!

What might happen is the SBC warning light comes on to let you know the SBC has failed!!!!! The vehicle then reverts to a normal hydraulic mode.

Better get wifey working those thighs out at the gym then John.

If the system reverts to "normal" mode then there is no assistance. Think of a heavy car with no servo assistance, and add a bit more required pressure to boot!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom