Too Much Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

280merc

Car
CLK 280 W209 now W213
First service on my 2016 E-class (W213)220d. MB Main dealer (who shall remain nameless) collects the car, services it, cleans it and all is good. Next day I am driving with my wife and up pops a message on the dashboard 'To much oil - Please reduce oil'. Oh Dear! so I call the dealer, who says can you bring the car back in, which I do straight away as it says in the handbook it should not be driven far.
Get to the main dealer and they take the car, I can see them working on it up on the ramp, after about 20 min, young girl simply gives me the keys and say 'All fixed', so I ask to see the technician who I had spoken to on the phone as I want to know what went wrong. Finally he comes out of the office.
"Ah yes, the problem is the 220d don't have dipsticks, the technician who did the service did exactly as instructed and put 6.1 ltr of oil in, trouble is when the oil gets hot it expands and sets the alarm off, the sensor is too sensitive."
Does this always happen, I ask,
"Oh yes most of these cars have to come back in again and have some oil removed".
Do you not think you should either put slightly less oil in or at least mention to the customer this says I.
"Ah I suppose we could, but we do tell Mercedes, trouble is, customers panic when they have a red error message appear on the dashboard."
Not a word of apology for my inconvenience having to drive 40 miles out of my way. When you phone they say all calls are recorded for training purposes, I wish they had recorded this conversation, truly unbelievable, complete lack of any customer care.
MB may be doing away with dipsticks but they appear to have left some in the dealerships.

Reactions: 219
Phone Mobilo next time and let them deal with it at your convenience.

i used to have this when I first got my car, this was after I had it serviced at a garage.

since I purchased a dip stick and changed the oil myself, its never returned. simply measure what comes out and refill the exact amount.

simple maths.

i used to have this when I first got my car, this was after I had it serviced at a garage.

since I purchased a dip stick and changed the oil myself, its never returned. simply measure what comes out and refill the exact amount.

simple maths.
To be honest it is not the issue of the error that annoyed me, it was the unbelievably stupid comments and silly excuse they made i.e. If it usually happens then why not reduce the amount by the amount you have to take out when the car reports an overfill ?
I purchased a premium brand and I expect a premium service from their dealerships, anything less is unacceptable. I bought the car to drive not service myself, that is MBs job and I expect their chosen agents to do the job correctly first time. Rant over

To be honest it is not the issue of the error that annoyed me, it was the unbelievably stupid comments and silly excuse they made i.e. If it usually happens then why not reduce the amount by the amount you have to take out when the car reports an overfill ?
I purchased a premium brand and I expect a premium service from their dealerships, anything less is unacceptable. I bought the car to drive not service myself, that is MBs job and I expect their chosen agents to do the job correctly first time. Rant over

I do agree with you. with my car, if I can service it myself, I normally do.

I do agree with you. with my car, if I can service it myself, I normally do.

With a 10+ year old C Class, that's fair enough, but nobody with a nearly new E-Class is going to be servicing it themselves.

I've got a W211 with the 3 litre V6. In the past with other cars I'd park on the drive, which is completely flat and chack the oil first thing in the morning and get a good reading. With the W211 this dosent work. The oil is significantly further up the dip stick when the engine (and oil) is hot. So now I follow the handbook, park on drive after run, wait 5 minutes and then chack the oil.

All that said you'd have thought MB would have figured out how much expansion there is and adjusted the fill quantity appropropriately.

simple maths.

Has to be at the same temperature for that theory to be true.

Has to be at the same temperature for that theory to be true.

And what if you are nearly a litre under by the time you drop it out?

So if there is no dipstick now does that mean Mercedes are draining the oil properly again rather than sucking 90% of it out?

"Ah I suppose we could, but we do tell Mercedes, trouble is, customers panic when they have a red error message appear on the dashboard."

Well pardon you for thinking a red error message means something needs immediate attention! Seems like generation stupid is alive and well within MB!

I deliberately held off responding to this Post just to see what comments were made, as to the possible causes of the problem.

As far as I'm concerned, Engine Oil should be drained off as soon as the customer delivers the Car for Maintenance, either that or the Engine should be run long enough to reach working Temperature before the Oil is Drained. (Sump Plug not Pumped out)

Dip Stick or not the correct Volume of Oil should be added, the Engine turned over long enough for the Oil to refill the Oil Filter and to enure there are no leaks, and the level checked again!

If the above procedure is carried out to the Makers Maintenance Specification, unless the Engine has been filled well in excess of the Oils correct amount, then the Normal running Temperature of the Engine would never cause the Oil to "Expand" and set off the subsequent Red Warning!

My penny's worth!

You'll be hard pushed to find a dealership that drains via the sump plug, all will pump the oil out and it's been shown to remove just as efficiently as removing the drain plug.

The only engines that won't be pumped are those with saddle sumps, such some early AMG V8s, here undertrays will be removed and both plugs removed.

You'll be hard pushed to find a dealership that drains via the sump plug, all will pump the oil out and it's been shown to remove just as efficiently as removing the drain plug.

The only engines that won't be pumped are those with saddle sumps, such some early AMG V8s, here undertrays will be removed and both plugs removed.

Where do they pump it out from though if there is no dipstick?

There's always a dipstick tube. MB just don't supply a dipstick, it's only a workshop tool now.

I was in an AddLee W213 the other day, the driver said this car was using about a litre of oil every 5000miles. This seems very high to me! Apparently all the Addlee drivers of W213s are having similar issues. This is why MB are over filling the engine oil to it's absolute maximum, in an attempt to stop the engine oil level going below minimum level before the service indicator pops up on the dash. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom