Torquay Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBManInKen

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S500 LWB (V220)
Below is my report on the GTG in Torquay last Saturday. :D

We drove up to Torquay on Friday and arrived back in London this evening. The s-class performed its magic as per usual and the ride was therefore comfortable and smooth in the extreme. However, there were quite a few traffic problems on the way back as well as some absolutely appalling downpours. Got up to 33.6mpg on the motorway on our way out. Overall achieved 30.6mpg over the 436 mile round trip, so not bad at all. :cool:

The new Glojo sun dance recipe worked too and it seemed to me that a good time was had by all.

The Glojo family is absolutely brilliant. Totally unpretentious, genuinely friendly and working so hard all day to make sure everything went smoothly and everyone was catered for. :)

It was good to meet so many other people in person too. All really nice – and I mean that.

Inevitably a few names stand out: kikthecat's Viano is opulent, exudes style and is clearly very well cared for.
IBW was exactly as I imagined him: friendly, down-to-earth, and clearly highly knowledgeable in all things Mercedes and with dirty hands from fiddling about with other people’s cars quite soon after lunch. :D

Whitenemesis drives what must be one of the best cared for and most stylish C270 diesels in the world. That dark wood interior really looks the part! :cool:

Lastminute, another very nice and down-to-earth chap, was there before me, so either I was late or he was getting better! ;)

Dieselman. What can one say. As much fun in real life as on the forum and as a walking Encyclopaedia Britannica he was able to solve quite a few conundrums. :p

Mattc – totally nice and unpretentious, although likely to be looking for a weekend job to buy Natalie that SL of Dorian. :crazy:

I also met Tudu - another fine forum member. His car looks stunning and attracted lots of attention from everyone and quite rightly so. I have never seen such a deep shine on a perfectly polished car. :eek:

And then there is Scumbag. What can I say? I had tears of laughter in my eyes most afternoon. :D Nat was right: he should do stand-up. Brilliant bloke. Scumbag, as a small token of appreciation, I’ll be writing to Waitrose to tell them how scandalous their negligence of Oban is and to insist that they sort it out. :devil: I hope that when their response letter arrives, your postie has gotten his act together! :D

Apologies to those I haven’t mentioned, you can blame my senility for that.

Those were the good bits.

There were a few more worrying aspects to the day too, though :D: I had to drive back home sat on an empty orange crate as Tudu nicked my massaging seats while we were all looking at Janner’s impressive turbo project :crazy:. He got his comeuppance though, because while Tudu was busy stripping the seats from my car, Oli, who had been drooling for a while, took Tudu’s black C55 and was last seen flying low across the horizon. :eek:

The rest of the afternoon looked like it would go really well, but was rudely interrupted when a few officers in a van with blue lights came to make enquiries. They asked if any of us knew a certain Robert Saunders, who had run up various hotel and restaurant bills all across Torquay. :devil:

Around the same time, we also lost sight of Dieselman after he had been going round the neighbourhood tapping people’s wheels with a wooden mallet. I think the van with the blue lights carted him off too, although that could also have been the other van with blue lights that had the nice people in white coats in it. :confused:

Then the news came in that some vandals had brought down the Torquay helium balloon with an air rifle. A warrant has been issued, it appears...

I decided not to stick around much longer after that, as I did not want the men in the first van to ask tricky questions about that Mercedes fridge I was carrying with me, since until very shortly before I got my hands on it, it had been part of the equipment of a very sumptuous looking Viano. :devil:

My lawyer says I should be out very shortly. :(

Then the news came in that some vandals had brought down the Torquay helium balloon with an air rifle. A warrant has been issued, it appears...

I heard that guy Robert Saunders got the blame for that one as well - and some guy called Bobby Dazzler has just been arrested in front of his family whilst on a caravanning holiday nearby :eek:

Obviously a case of mistaken identity as there wasnt a Mondeo in sight!

harrumph! Like baldy is a lightweight, cheeky blighter. You wait 'til I see him (altho' I would need to don some shades first to avoid the dazzle - which I note was absent from the wonderful pics posted, one can but wonder at the marvel of the modern lens filter and sophisticated software to reduce the glare that would otherwise cause massive over-exposure)

These were the views from our hotel:

(1) View from the balcony, looking out over the bay:

torq1.jpg

(2) Looking to the right towards the harbour:

torq2.jpg

In the second picture you can also see the (now grounded :devil:) Torquay balloon.

you can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time :D ;)

Ha! Don't be fooled.....!!!! :p

View from the roof of the Rainbow.

TorquayAug08.jpg

and said baloon, before Robert broke it.

Torquaybaloon.jpg

We intended to give it a group bash as at £14 a head for 15 minutes it was a bit dear....and we got sidetracked by wanting to go and eat...Pah..!

Got up to 33.6mpg on the motorway on our way out. Overall achieved 30.6mpg over the 436 mile round trip, so not bad at all. :cool:

This made me feel happy..ish..
Over the 468 miles the old bucket of nails achieved 41.7mpg, and that included jams on both journeys and some heavy rain most of the way home.

Over the 468 miles the old bucket of nails achieved 41.7mpg, and that included jams on both journeys and some heavy rain most of the way home.

Not bad, old chap :D. I keep being surprised by the economy I get from this s-class, not in the least in comparison with my previous one (W140). :)

I know all about that rain, was dreadful :crazy:.

The other (unrelated) thing I haven't mentioned yet is that we encountered 9 (!) Volkswagens T1 and T2 on the trip, 3 on our way out on Friday and 6 on the way back on Sunday, most on the M5. :confused: They must be very popular models in the West country or otherwise there must have been some event somewhere. :crazy:

We saw a few Volswagens as well, one was a right rusty nail.

Blame Newquay..

. Got up to 33.6mpg on the motorway on our way out. Overall achieved 30.6mpg over the 436 mile round trip, so not bad at all. :cool:

Mmm. I managed 62.3mpg on the way down and 55mpg on the way home.

Going north must be uphill :rolleyes: :D

I thought we were blaming Robert Saunders for everything? :confused: :devil:

We are. I'm sure Rob is in some way to blame for people going to Newquay. Maybe that were escaping the Eastern shires..

Mmm. I managed 62.3mpg on the way down and 55mpg on the way home.

In truth, I'm a lot fatter than you are, so my engine probably needs to work a lot harder too :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom