Touring: Lochs Etive, Leven, Linnhe and Awe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice lenses, but you want something shorter than 18mm on a crop body sensor. I use the sigma 10 to 20mm. Its no means perfect and attached to a battered D80 but its ok. Next purchase is a Nikkor 50.1.8 and the 16-35 and an FF Body (D600 or D800). I mainly do landscapes, I don't carry long lenses.

Get the Sigma before you go. Trust me...

Plenty of petrol stations upto Ft William. Fill in Ft William, Kyle of Lochash, Ullapool. Fuel is more expensive very far north, but you may need to fill before looping back to Inverness from my route. Depends on your MPG, which won't be great as the roads are hilly and the size of your tank, but you'll not run out. Its not that bad and not a barrier for you to enjoying your trip.

Truly super images and a good write-up as usual, Steve.

Guess who I'll be calling before I buy a digital SLR. ;)

Get to the SECC/squinty bridge and the science centre in evening. Nice light and the clydeside bits really photogenic

I also want to go to the peoples palace at a mid-summer sunset for the fountain, and go for a New York style reflections shot if I can blag my way in to some of the buildings as I know a few of the Building services staff from doing refits there.

One question - how come the rear bumper of your cars looks to be a darker silver in every pic?

S

Tis dirty - all diesel C's seem to suffer from this on salt covered roads.

I did wonder that, but it is very defined along the bumper/body join - wouldn't expect that with dirt.

Anyway....nice pics.

DM PTG"d the bumper. On that side there is additional paint but its nearer the fuel filler. Just an extra layer and it blends into the bumper.

Here I light painted the car and if the lighting was not even it would cause the cars bumper to show up differently, you can see in the image its merely underexposed to the rest of the car. Given its also painted plastic rather than metal, it may well reflect light differently causing the odd apperance in pic one.

Here's a more normal pic, the difference is far less pronounced. Combined with its ability to pick up dirt as well causes the pics of it to look odd, Edit, the shape of the car and angle of my pictures places the bumper in shadow.

DSC_0313 by [email protected], on Flickr

More interestingly Simon, your car. S400 and C63 estate. Tell me about the S400?

Last edited:
DM PTG"d the bumper. On that side there is additional paint but its nearer the fuel filler. Just an extra layer and it blends into the bumper.

More interestingly Simon, your car. S400 and C63 estate. Tell me about the S400?

Maybe it just needs a wash then :p

S400 lives in Netherlands most of the time, only really a 'trial' car as diesel is cheaper than petrol out there so long term a diesel makes sense.

S

Simon_M said:
Maybe it just needs a wash then :p

S400 lives in Netherlands most of the time, only really a 'trial' car as diesel is cheaper than petrol out there so long term a diesel makes sense.

S

You should do us a thread about your S400. It will be interesting.

It was washed but salt/dirt is in abundance this time of year. It needs a wash again after her big day out.

Steve

Have you attempted crossing the river in Glen Etive by the rope bridge & basket?. It is about a mile into the Glen from the main road, down a steep drop on your left (as you drive)

I spent my honeymoon in a two man tent in Etive (cosy) Walked through to Glen Coe and back as well as most of the Glen. I was on Rannoch Moor when somebody walked up behind a camper to ask if he liked the view. Big shock when he discovered his new companion had been dead for two years (reported missing) a hill walker who was sat with all his gear propped against a rock admiring the view in his skeletal state.

Happy Days..

Stunning pics as usual Steve,you have some truly lovely scenery in your neck of the woods:cool:

brucemillar said:
Steve

Have you attempted crossing the river in Glen Etive by the rope bridge & basket?. It is about a mile into the Glen from the main road, down a steep drop on your left (as you drive)

I spent my honeymoon in a two man tent in Etive (cosy) Walked through to Glen Coe and back as well as most of the Glen. I was on Rannoch Moor when somebody walked up behind a camper to ask if he liked the view. Big shock when he discovered his new companion had been dead for two years (reported missing) a hill walker who was sat with all his gear propped against a rock admiring the view in his skeletal state.

Happy Days..

I know where you mean but wouldn't. Lots of rocks to bang your head on. Not a road to come off either....

I'm going back camping there but later on, or I might just kip in the car. Great place for a honeymoon.

Stunning pics as usual Steve,you have some truly lovely scenery in your neck of the woods:cool:

He is not bad with the camera either... I could be standing there in the exact same spot and I wouldnt get my pictures looking anywhere like that...

Impressive photography.

jaymanek said:
He is not bad with the camera either... I could be standing there in the exact same spot and I wouldnt get my pictures looking anywhere like that...

Impressive photography.

It's knowing the light, when it's going to be good and if you see a good opportunity take it. I'm not using anything particularly high end. A lot on this forum have better gear...

I'll be investing in some very high end glass and camera body in the fullness of time though....:)

Looks like you had a great trip, Steve!

Photographs are fantastic, its just such a beautiful place up there. I done a little tour of the same area this time last year, some photos on my 500px if you're interested - clicky.

The drive around Loch Leven really is fantastic, its a road designed for drivers! I decided to come home via the A828 (Glencoe to Oban) and cut back over to Tyndrum via the A85. That is a great way to finish the drive if you're heading down somewhere South. Great road and even better views.

Nice to see someone else using the speed limiter too, I love that feature so much more flexible than cruise as you are still 'in control' of the car.

I done a little tour of the same area this time last year, some photos on my 500px if you're interested

Some impressive shots in there - well done!

martyp87 said:
Looks like you had a great trip, Steve!

Photographs are fantastic, its just such a beautiful place up there. I done a little tour of the same area this time last year, some photos on my 500px if you're interested - clicky.

The drive around Loch Leven really is fantastic, its a road designed for drivers! I decided to come home via the A828 (Glencoe to Oban) and cut back over to Tyndrum via the A85. That is a great way to finish the drive if you're heading down somewhere South. Great road and even better views.

Nice to see someone else using the speed limiter too, I love that feature so much more flexible than cruise as you are still 'in control' of the car.

Great minds think alike. I use speed limiter all the time. 60 seemed fast in the E round kinlochleven this car I reckon if legal I could put it up a bit. Allows you to drive on the go pedal but not get carried away....

The Tyndrum to Dalmally section of the A85 is an exquisite section of road. I love it.

Edit. Nice set on your blog;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom