tow bar question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Voyager

how much would i have to pay for putting a tow bar on my 2001 e-class estate - only for carrying bikes ?

thanks

Just shy of £300 fitted usually.

Can get them second hand and fit yourself (eBay) usually go for around £80

Since your estate will have roof rails , you could use a roof mounted cycle carrier .

I used to carry four bikes on the rooves of my W123 and W124 estates that way .

Rear is better for fuel consumption if you're travelling any distance and doing any speed..

If you're not worried about aesthetics, then a fixed bracket will be cheaper than one with a detachable ball.

Rear is better for fuel consumption if you're travelling any distance and doing any speed..

It's a matter of personal preference . While the fuel consumption comment is valid , it made little difference if also towing a caravan at the same time .

Some towbar carriers use the ball , so you can't tow at the same time . Some rear mounting carriers are pretty naff and insecure , with reported instances of the whole things or just bikes falling off then being hit by following traffic . Ones that hang off the bodywork can do damage too .

My Thule roof mounted carriers lock onto the roof rails , and for added security with expensive bikes , I can run security cables through the frames and wheels and under the roof bars fixed into the car roof .

I fabricated a carrier out of steel tube so my bikes hang across the front of my trailer when going camping ; this is very rigid and , again , the bikes can be secured to the trailer chassis , the trailer also being secured to the car .

Most of the 'hang on the rear' types don't offer a lot of security for expensive bikes .

Pontoneer said:
It's a matter of personal preference . While the fuel consumption comment is valid , it made little difference if also towing a caravan at the same time . Some towbar carriers use the ball , so you can't tow at the same time . Some rear mounting carriers are pretty naff and insecure , with reported instances of the whole things or just bikes falling off then being hit by following traffic . Ones that hang off the bodywork can do damage too . My Thule roof mounted carriers lock onto the roof rails , and for added security with expensive bikes , I can run security cables through the frames and wheels and under the roof bars fixed into the car roof . I fabricated a carrier out of steel tube so my bikes hang across the front of my trailer when going camping ; this is very rigid and , again , the bikes can be secured to the trailer chassis , the trailer also being secured to the car . Most of the 'hang on the rear' types don't offer a lot of security for expensive bikes .

Try Thule Raceway for a very decent and secure rear mount rack - it's new model. I do have and use roof mount on my Merc estates sometimes with boot too if shifting plenty of bikes. Towbar and Thule rear carrier cost me £400 as a package for the camper van...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom