tow bar question

Voyager

how much would i have to pay for putting a tow bar on my 2001 e-class estate - only for carrying bikes ?

thanks

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Just shy of £300 fitted usually.

Can get them second hand and fit yourself (eBay) usually go for around £80

Pontoneer

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
'99 S320 W140
Since your estate will have roof rails , you could use a roof mounted cycle carrier .

I used to carry four bikes on the rooves of my W123 and W124 estates that way .

RKC-benz

Car
S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
Rear is better for fuel consumption if you're travelling any distance and doing any speed..

Minz

Car
S204 C220 AMG Sport Plus Estate
If you're not worried about aesthetics, then a fixed bracket will be cheaper than one with a detachable ball.

Pontoneer

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
'99 S320 W140
Rear is better for fuel consumption if you're travelling any distance and doing any speed..
It's a matter of personal preference . While the fuel consumption comment is valid , it made little difference if also towing a caravan at the same time .

Some towbar carriers use the ball , so you can't tow at the same time . Some rear mounting carriers are pretty naff and insecure , with reported instances of the whole things or just bikes falling off then being hit by following traffic . Ones that hang off the bodywork can do damage too .

My Thule roof mounted carriers lock onto the roof rails , and for added security with expensive bikes , I can run security cables through the frames and wheels and under the roof bars fixed into the car roof .

I fabricated a carrier out of steel tube so my bikes hang across the front of my trailer when going camping ; this is very rigid and , again , the bikes can be secured to the trailer chassis , the trailer also being secured to the car .

Most of the 'hang on the rear' types don't offer a lot of security for expensive bikes .

RKC-benz

Car
S124 E280 Est (Storm Trooper variant), R129 SL320, Hiace campervan
Pontoneer said:
It's a matter of personal preference . While the fuel consumption comment is valid , it made little difference if also towing a caravan at the same time . Some towbar carriers use the ball , so you can't tow at the same time . Some rear mounting carriers are pretty naff and insecure , with reported instances of the whole things or just bikes falling off then being hit by following traffic . Ones that hang off the bodywork can do damage too . My Thule roof mounted carriers lock onto the roof rails , and for added security with expensive bikes , I can run security cables through the frames and wheels and under the roof bars fixed into the car roof . I fabricated a carrier out of steel tube so my bikes hang across the front of my trailer when going camping ; this is very rigid and , again , the bikes can be secured to the trailer chassis , the trailer also being secured to the car . Most of the 'hang on the rear' types don't offer a lot of security for expensive bikes .
Try Thule Raceway for a very decent and secure rear mount rack - it's new model. I do have and use roof mount on my Merc estates sometimes with boot too if shifting plenty of bikes. Towbar and Thule rear carrier cost me £400 as a package for the camper van...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom