Towing a caravan . Cooling issues ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're going round in circles. Before 16 December 2021 that could have been illegal (depending on the driver). Now it's not.

You are getting max towing weights confused with the (now defunct) licence restrictions ........The maximum towing weight laws were around years before that licence restrictions came in. Those restrictive laws effectively meant that those customers could not tow anything but the tinniest vans as the 3.5 limit limit was gross weight.....so the gross laden weight of the car added to the gross weight of the caravan. So even a 1600kg Mondeo has a gross of around 2.5 ton......leaving only about 1000 for the caravan.....a tiny two berth or a trailer tent! Was a major issue for us caravan dealers.....many younger drivers knowing nothing about it until I told them.....glad that nonsense is gone!!!

But nobody is saying that are they?

Really? Could you let me know which cars these are?
E220d Estate, Kerb weight 1780 kg. Max. towing limit 2100kg.

Reactions: JHS
It would be interesting to see such a vehicle that has a legally permitted towing weight greater than its GVW.
I can see one from where I am:
Gross vehicle weight 3050kg
Gross train weight 6200kg
Max recommended towing weight 3150kg

Reactions: JHS
E220d Estate, Kerb weight 1780 kg. Max. towing limit 2100kg.

Interesting, physically capable of towing a 2100 trailer BUT, that would be illegal as the trailer would weigh more than the tow car.
Don't take my word for it, you just have to convince the roadside inspector.

Last edited:
You are getting max towing weights confused with the (now defunct) licence restrictions ........The maximum towing weight laws were around years before that licence restrictions came in. Those restrictive laws effectively meant that those customers could not tow anything but the tinniest vans as the 3.5 limit limit was gross weight.....so the gross laden weight of the car added to the gross weight of the caravan. So even a 1600kg Mondeo has a gross of around 2.5 ton......leaving only about 1000 for the caravan.....a tiny two berth or a trailer tent! Was a major issue for us caravan dealers.....many younger drivers knowing nothing about it until I told them.....glad that nonsense is gone!!!

I'm not confused ... the licence-based restrictions started in 1997! Most of my friends (fellow dog agility competitors) drive vans which of course have a high MAM - that did make it hard for the younger ones to find caravans whose MTPLM wouldn't put the combination over 3500 kg in total. The solution was to take the separate "B+E" towing test though, which many did.

Interesting, physically capable of towing a 2100 trailer BUT, that would be illegal as the trailer would weigh more than the tow car.

It's not illegal for a trailer to weigh more than the tow car. That restriction only applied to certain drivers (test passed from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013), and was dropped on December 16th 2021. The limit of 3500 kg GTW was also dropped on the same date (and didn't apply to those who had passed their test before 1997 anyway).

But not legally.

Why? If a car is plated to tow 3500 kg then it's legal for any driver to tow up to that weight with it now, subject to staying within the vehicle's GTW (since December 16th 2021).

I've posted UK Government links showing the current law. Please provide supporting evidence if you think those are wrong.

It's not illegal for a trailer to weigh more than the tow car. That restriction only applied to certain drivers (test passed from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013), and was dropped on December 16th 2021. The limit of 3500 kg GTW was also dropped on the same date (and didn't apply to those who had passed their test before 1997 anyway).

Why? If a car is plated to tow 3500 kg then it's legal for any driver to tow up to that weight with it now, subject to staying within the vehicle's GTW (since December 16th 2021).

I've posted UK Government links showing the current law. Please provide supporting evidence if you think those are wrong.
So you now accept that it is the GTW that is the deciding factor?

So you now accept that it is the GTW that is the deciding factor?

No, because any car that can tow 3500 kg must have a GTW that is higher than that. And there are no licence restrictions on maximum GTW any more - only on trailer MAM (for those who passed their test from 1997 onwards).

No, because any car that can tow 3500 kg must have a GTW that is higher than that. And there are no licence restrictions on maximum GTW any more - only on trailer MAM (for those who passed their test from 1997 onwards).
BUT you posted this:

I will retire from this circular discussion and just keep within my GTW and MB towing limits, safe in the knowledge that I wont be prosecuted.

BUT you posted this:

I will retire from this circular discussion and just keep within my GTW and MB towing limits, safe in the knowledge that I wont be prosecuted.

Of course you must always stay within the car's plated GTW (and corresponding braked trailer limit), and noseweight limit. My point is simply that previous restrictions (for some drivers) of a maximum GTW of 3500 kg, trailer not being heavier than the car, etc. no longer apply. So anyone can now quite legally tow up to 3500 kg with a G Wagen (which I believe has a GTW of 6700 kg).

Oh dear. :doh:

In answer to the OP I tow a Coachman 520/4 with my CLS shooting brake and notice no overheat problems whatsoever.
Manufacturers will cover their backs by saying “you must have” and of course they will cream off more revenue from the customer.
One thing I like, well two actually on my CLS it has a water temperature gauge and if you go into the engine performance screen it shows engine oil temperature which I tend to view when pulling on long uphills. My previous car, a Jaguar XF had none of these, only a warning light when lit of course would Probably have been too late. Thankfully it that never happened.
I also agree with caravan forums attitude being “anal”. I’ve posted on a few of them and suffered the wrath of correctness.
Forums should try and remain helpful to posts but that’s human nature I suppose.

The upgrade involves swapping the 450w fan for a 600w one. I have towed at 2000kg up the A76 from south of France (10% in some parts) at 1000m, no issues with the temp guage moving, just the gearbox oil getting a bit warmer with the factory fitted towbar. If you only ever tow in the UK and with a generally lighter U.K. caravan (than German ones!) then i can’t see a need for a new fan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom