TYRES DILEMA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi All,

Need some advice, my 2017 W213 which has goodyear run flats, and has done 27K, and going by the dates on all the tyres, they are the original tyres fitted on the car from new, they have around 3.5mm all round, so will soon need changing. As i am happy with Goodyears, and the mileage they have done, i wish to continue with Goodyears, but want to change to Non Run-flats, due to the ride being a touch hard, but not overly so.

Have been doing some research on Asda and blackcircles, and others, for the fronts ( 245/35 R20y) i can find NRF, Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, which i believe superseded the 3s, and would prefer these.

For the rears (275/30 R20Y), none of the websites have NRF except Tyre Leader, who have them in the 3s. I will continue to do further research on other websites.

so here is my dilema, if i want NRF, then would have to go with the older 3s, would that be so bad, as they have served the car well up to now, or if i want the newer 5s, then i would have to go for the RF.

Thoughts welcome.

When i enter my reg number, and select the size, the 6s doesn't show up in the search results.

Also the 5s have A rating for wet weather, compared to B for the 3s, noise level both are B.

You won't be disappointed with the 5's .

3768_11_l.jpg

Do you carry a emergency spare wheel ?
If you do then go for the NRF's.

I have been continuosly looking at tyres for my car as i too am due new tyres soon.

The cheapest place i have found so far to source are ATS euromaster. They are actually owned by Michelin so you can get Michelin's at a brilliant price.

I am considering Pilot Sport 4/5's or alternatively Primacy 4/4+. I have not quite decided yet.

Have a look and see if there are any decent deals

I have been continuosly looking at tyres for my car as i too am due new tyres soon.

The cheapest place i have found so far to source are ATS euromaster. They are actually owned by Michelin so you can get Michelin's at a brilliant price.

I am considering Pilot Sport 4/5's or alternatively Primacy 4/4+. I have not quite decided yet.

I spent most of my working life in Vehicle Contract Hire. When we bought a new Car, Van or Truck we always insisted that they were supplied shod with Michelin. The Data we had built over the years proved to us that Michelin had the slowest wear rate. :)

I know that that is not the sole criteria and the early Michelins were ditch finders but I have had Primacy's inthe past and they have been excellent in all areas. I am about to change tyres and top of my list are Pilot sport 5's and Continental Sport Contact 5's. Not decided yet but will likely go for the Continentals 🤭

Do you carry a emergency spare wheel ?
If you do then go for the NRF's.
I don’t carry a spare, but I have never had a blow out in all my years of driving, and as the car has tpms, any drop in psi, I would be warned, don’t do much driving out of London where I live, so it’s a risk I would take, if I opt for NRF.

Will continue my search for Goodyears in NRF, if I can’t find what I want, then would have to consider other brands, but have been happy with GY.

I spent most of my working life in Vehicle Contract Hire. When we bought a new Car, Van or Truck we always insisted that they were supplied shod with Michelin. The Data we had built over the years proved to us that Michelin had the slowest wear rate. :)

I know that that is not the sole criteria and the early Michelins were ditch finders but I have had Primacy's inthe past and they have been excellent in all areas. I am about to change tyres and top of my list are Pilot sport 5's and Continental Sport Contact 5's. Not decided yet but will likely go for the Continentals 🤭
I had conti’s on my previous W211, they were also good, but have been very happy with the wear on the GY, 27k and still have 3.5mm left, grip has also been good.

I currently have Contibental Sport Contact 5's however i fancy a change. May just be me but I feel they are a very unforgiving tyre. I feel every bump in the road.

May just be me. However fancy a change to rule out the tyre's. Hence considering Primacy's for the comfort factor

RF or NRF
I have had non RFT Assymetric 5's. Comfy tyre, great grip and nice steering feel. Downside was they were really noisy. Wheel bearing going bad noisy.

The new Assymetric 6 is out. Haven't given them a try yet but I would imagine they will be better

Yikes just been on ATS, pilot sport 4s £320 each for the rears, serves me right for choosing a car with 20 inches😳

Black boots price for GY 5s is £279 for rears, and Asda comes in at £258 for the same tyre, so Michelin are a touch pricy.

Yikes just been on ATS, pilot sport 4s £320 each for the rears, serves me right for choosing a car with 20 inches😳
Is that before or after the discount. I think 2 tyres fitted is £32 off. 4 tyres fitted is £64 off.

I just had a look those are the Pilot Sport 4 S. So they are UUHP. Ultra Ultra High Performance.

The Goodyear Assy 5's are the tier below. UHP. Ultra High Performance.

All probably marketing pish

Yes sorry, without the discount, your figures are correct.
Yeah the Pilot Sport 4 S is rated UUHP and the Assy 5 is UHP.

Ultra ultra high performance vs Ultra High Performance hence the price increase. Guess they don't do the lower rated Pilot Sport 4 in that size.

I swapped my original Conti run flats for GY Assy 5 non run flats last year. Car rides a lot better but a tad noisy, but they are big old tyres, 19”.
I bought a space saver in case of puncture.
I bought the GYs from my local Merit Tyre fitters, I think all four cost £680.

I swapped my original Conti run flats for GY Assy 5 non run flats last year. Car rides a lot better but a tad noisy, but they are big old tyres, 19”.
I bought a space saver in case of puncture.
I bought the GYs from my local Merit Tyre fitters, I think all four cost £680.
Mine are sadly 20”, so prices will be higher then your 19s ☹️, especially the rears, but it is what it is.

Interesting your take on changing from RF to NRT, does the car ride a lot better, and why noisier, are you happy with the change, or was the change negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom