TYRES DILEMA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine are sadly 20”, so prices will be higher then your 19s ☹️, especially the rears, but it is what it is.

Interesting your take on changing from RF to NRT, does the car ride a lot better, and why noisier, are you happy with the change, or was the change negligible.
The noise is the Goodyear Assy 5. Although a good tyre they are very noise.

Non RF's are soo much better than RFT's. Run Flats are bloody horrible

Yikes just been on ATS, pilot sport 4s £320 each for the rears, serves me right for choosing a car with 20 inches😳

Black boots price for GY 5s is £279 for rears, and Asda comes in at £258 for the same tyre, so Michelin are a touch pricy.
It’s not cheap but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a ridiculously good tyre though.

To have 3.5 mm left after 27,000 miles is truly outstanding. If they continue to wear at that rate you could achieve more than 35,000 miles and still be legal.

Could they have been replaced at say 15-18,000 miles? Even that would be very good going for most cars, tyres and drivers, especially on FWD/RWD cars.

It’s not cheap but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a ridiculously good tyre though.

To have 3.5 mm left after 27,000 miles is truly outstanding. If they continue to wear at that rate you could achieve more than 35,000 miles and still be legal.

Could they have been replaced at say 15-18,000 miles? Even that would be very good going for most cars, tyres and drivers, especially on FWD/RWD cars.
Have to remember the 4 is the comparable tyre to the Asy 5. The 4S is the next level up

Have to remember the 4 is the comparable tyre to the Asy 5. The 4S is the next level up
That’s right. Never used a better tyre, and it’s operating temperature range is remarkable. Great tyres.

I’ve used the GY Assym 3, 4 and now on the 6. I skipped the 5 as the noise rating was higher and went for the Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 which is very similar to the GY 5 but quieter (same company I believe). The RT2 might be worth considering. I’m undecided on the 6 - it’s quiet but turn in feels a bit odd. Feels a little loose, might just need getting used to.

I bought the car August 2019, had 9500 miles, in February 2021, front near side tyre had a problem with cord showing in the inside edge, so had that changed with a part worn tyre, had 7mm at the time as my plan was to changed all tyres to NRF, when the time came to change, so didn’t want to spend money on a new tyre.

But all other 3 haven’t been changed in my ownership. Yes I am also surprised at how many miles they have done, maybe got lucky.

I do around 6k a year, so they could still last me a year or so.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am about to change tyres and top of my list are Pilot sport 5's and Continental Sport Contact 5's. Not decided yet but will likely go for the Continentals 🤭

A 10 year old design with fast wear .

I just had a look those are the Pilot Sport 4 S. So they are UUHP. Ultra Ultra High Performance.

The Goodyear Assy 5's are the tier below. UHP. Ultra High Performance.

All probably marketing pish

It's a trade off , to increase dry performance the UUHP will cost more , possibly wear more be more noisy , firmer and not so good in the wet than UHP .

However Continental Contact Sport 7 is a game changer here .

Changed from RFs to NRFs because the car was bumping and skipping across pot holes and drain covers etc and the overall ride was really harsh. Fitting the NRFs greatly improved the ride quality. As for the road noise, they were said to be one of the quieter tyres but road noise is still noticeable on certain surfaces.
I can put up with that as ride quality far out ways the occasional noise.

Should of mentioned that my car is a AMG Line C Class so it’s got the sports suspension so obviously the ride will be harsher regardless of what tyres you put on. But a lot worse with RFs in my case.

I have the same car with Uniroyal rainsport 5 they are really quiet, i'm happy with them

Thanks for everyone’s feedback, much appreciated.

Had decided a while back that my replacement tyres would be NRF

My first choice was GY 5, but unfortunately for the rears, they don’t do, or I can’t find any on my search, NRF. for the fronts they do.

So the following NRF are on my list.

Conti SportContact 6

Michelin Pilot sport 4s

Have to go for pilot4s as they don’t do pilot4 for the rears, only for the fronts.

Yes Michelin are touch more expensive then contis, but would you guys think they are worth it.

Thanks for everyone’s feedback, much appreciated.

Had decided a while back that my replacement tyres would be NRF

My first choice was GY 5, but unfortunately for the rears, they don’t do, or I can’t find any on my search, NRF. for the fronts they do.

So the following NRF are on my list.

Conti SportContact 6

Michelin Pilot sport 4s

Have to go for pilot4s as they don’t do pilot4 for the rears, only for the fronts.

Yes Michelin are touch more expensive then contis, but would you guys think they are worth it.
I rate Continentals but the Pilot Sport 4 S is an exceptional tyre and after the initial sting of paying for them has passed, then you won’t regret buying them.

I have never heard any bad reports of the 4S.

Cannot comment on the ContiSport 6 but anything from Continental will be a decent tyre.

My Conti Sport 5's are rock bloody hard sidewalls though thats the only thing i can add

I rate Continentals but the Pilot Sport 4 S is an exceptional tyre and after the initial sting of paying for them has passed, then you won’t regret buying them.
Thanks for that, don’t mind paying a bit extra, for a quality product.

What’s the general consensus, on changing the tires which came on the car at build, to a different brand and NRF.

Also I know the legal limit for tyres are 1.6mm, and we like to get our money’s worth, but at what wear mil do people change, I do mine at 2mm.

Can anyone confirm the noise levels between conti6 and pilot 4s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom