TYRES DILEMA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just seen and read on a few places, that cars which come with RF from new, the suspension and other bits are tuned for RF, so one shouldn’t change to NRF. Would this be true, or just tosh.

If it is true, and changing to NRF Xl tyres, would that cause any problems with the set up. My car comes with Air Body Control, don’t know if this matters or not.

Just seen and read on a few places, that cars which come with RF from new, the suspension and other bits are tuned for RF, so one shouldn’t change to NRF. Would this be true, or just tosh.

If it is true, and changing to NRF Xl tyres, would that cause any problems with the set up. My car comes with Air Body Control, don’t know if this matters or not.
You will be fine on NRF XL tyres don't worry.

For what it is worth, my estate came with Michelins and my wifes cab with Goodyear (both 20"). We swap them between cars each year to even out the wear when we do the winter/summer tyre swap. Goodyears give about 1 or 2 mpg better than the Michelin, but the Michelins are ever so slightly quieter. Both are MO RF. With the winters (18") then I have just swapped mine from Dunlop (MO OE) to Vredstein (non RF) and there is no noticable difference in ride and there is no difference with the 19" MO RFT Vredisteins on my wifes car. Both cars are air suspension, which might mask the effects of stiffness (or not) of the sidewalls.

Obviously up to you, on balance, I think I’d stick with runflats … Michelin got some offers on at the moment so might be good timing for you there either way.

Haven’t got experience with ATS but here’s a link maybe your chosen tyre fitter can match/better:

I’d also stick with run flats if that’s the way it came from the factory, but plenty of people switch.

Its a load of rubbish.

They're not designed with RF's in mind and certainly when you look at the number of markets car manufacturers sell vehicles in with different tyres, itd mean they're constantly changing suspension components at the factory

Its a load of rubbish.

They're not designed with RF's in mind and certainly when you look at the number of markets car manufacturers sell vehicles in with different tyres, itd mean they're constantly changing suspension components at the factory
For example

My missus has a 2018 mini cooper

It came with 175/55/15 tyres. These are non run flat as you cannot get a runflat in that size.

If you buy the mini cooper but spec 17" alloys then these come with RFT. The car is exactly the same no suspension changes.

I have since fitted a set of these 17" alloys with RFT's as thats what they came with. I will be changing to non RFT's when they are due to change as it is a little harsh over the bumps and i don't fancy the extra cost of RFT's either

Had the car serviced at MB Brooklands, they have noted that front offside tyre has a small bulge, and this would fail an mot, so I might have to bite the bullet now and change all the tyres, rears are already on 3.5mm.

Changed front near side last year for a part worn, due to inside edge being split, but don’t want to do that again.

Spoke to Terry at Wayne Gates, who is also my Indy, he said changing to NRF, is fine.

Kwik Fit have come in the cheapest £1007 all in for Michelin pilot 4s NRF, they have 10% discount on Michelin tyres.

It’s not cheap but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a ridiculously good tyre though.

To have 3.5 mm left after 27,000 miles is truly outstanding. If they continue to wear at that rate you could achieve more than 35,000 miles and still be legal.

Could they have been replaced at say 15-18,000 miles? Even that would be very good going for most cars, tyres and drivers, especially on FWD/RWD cars.
PS4s - 14000 miles on the back of the M5 with 3mm left ….. amazing.

Thanks for everyone input, greatly appreciated, now hoping that i won’t be disappointed with the PS 4s

PS4s - 14000 miles on the back of the M5 with 3mm left ….. amazing.
My 2017 car GY A3 RF with dot16 code on them have done 27k on the rears, they still have 3.5mm, if they are the original I am impressed. Bought the car with 9k miles on the clock.

Thanks for everyone input, greatly appreciated, now hoping that i won’t be disappointed with the PS 4s
I’ve never known anyone be disappointed with Pilot Sport 4 S - quite the opposite in fact - but I’ve never known anyone have tyres last as long as your current set.

HB reports that they’re lasting well on his car, but I don't think they’ll last anywhere near as long as yours - as long as you don’t expect them to, then you’ll be delighted.

I’ve never known anyone be disappointed with Pilot Sport 4 S - quite the opposite in fact - but I’ve never known anyone have tyres last as long as your current set.

HB reports that they’re lasting well on his car, but I don't think they’ll last anywhere near as long as yours - as long as you don’t expect them to, then you’ll be delighted.
I am just as surprised, especially on the rears, did the previous owner change the rear tires, doubtful, as car had 9k on the clock when I purchased it, and the tyres show dot16, for a 17 plate car.

Also July 2021 service health check it shows both rear wheels had 4.0 MM thread, and at todays service, both rears have 3.5mm, and the car has done 5500 miles between the services, so a wear of .5mm.

With the low mileage I do, would be ok if I have to replace the ps4s between 3-4 years.

Could someone advise, if the tyre pressures on the NRF should be kept the same as the RF, which is 35psi, as stated in the filler cap. This is for light load.

Could someone advise, if the tyre pressures on the NRF should be kept the same as the RF, which is 35psi, as stated in the filler cap. This is for light load.
I don’t know the answer to that but I always put an extra couple of pounds as it reduces the rolling resistance and saves a bit of fuel :)

Thanks, been ever so helpful.
Ahh was about to say make sure you claim your £100 cashback from Michelin too but I think the August dates are gone now, T's and C's state they're now running September onwards if that helps anyone else.

I don’t carry a spare, but I have never had a blow out in all my years of driving, and as the car has tpms, any drop in psi, I would be warned, don’t do much driving out of London where I live, so it’s a risk I would take, if I opt for NRF.
Gunk can and a pump for emergencies. My old cls55 was always NRF with no spare and came from the factory with can of sealant and a pump. In 6 years had 4 flats . all but one due to cracked soft as butter AMG inside rims.
On the tyre front I would take whatever the latest NRF Goodyears you can get. I have found them to be the quietest and most comfortable tyre, with good mileage as you say and no noticeable difference in handling over Contis, Pirrelis and Michelin. Just my opinion having tried them all across w211, w219 and w218 platforms

Gunk can and a pump for emergencies. My old cls55 was always NRF with no spare and came from the factory with can of sealant and a pump. In 6 years had 4 flats . all but one due to cracked soft as butter AMG inside rims.
On the tyre front I would take whatever the latest NRF Goodyears you can get. I have found them to be the quietest and most comfortable tyre, with good mileage as you say and no noticeable difference in handling over Contis, Pirrelis and Michelin. Just my opinion having tried them all across w211, w219 and w218 platforms
Couldn’t get GY in NRF for my car, went with the MIchelin PS4s in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom