V6 Diesel software update recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did not receive such a letter, but during the last service in December the worksheet contained an item

Damage Code: 5496131 "4985 - Update Powertrain Control Unit Software - 1809P54C74"

Not sure if this update is the same as that detailed in the letter regarding the emission update?

Are these update problems purely diesel or is it happening on petrol models too?

Has anyone had their OM642 E350 bluetec 9g diesel done yet? Which is what I have and what results have they had?

Well this service 'update' was not the reason I jumped ship from Mercedes to Volvo a few months ago, but the more I see of the problems others are encountering, I'm not sorry I did.
I'll now await the letter from the friendly Volvo service team.....
VW got caught with 'dieselgate' but any manufacturer using Bosch kit is likely to be doing something similar.:dk:

Well this service 'update' was not the reason I jumped ship from Mercedes to Volvo a few months ago, but the more I see of the problems others are encountering, I'm not sorry I did.
I'll now await the letter from the friendly Volvo service team.....
VW got caught with 'dieselgate' but any manufacturer using Bosch kit is likely to be doing something similar.:dk:
Why do you think Volvo would not be involved?

Why do you think Volvo would not be involved?
I think there is good reason to believe that any and every manufacturer of diesel cars will have been 'side stepping' some of the emissions regulations within the last decade.

Hi guys,
Been monitoring fuel economy and the gearbox. Can't detect any changes in fuel economy behaviour. I've not done a detailed analysis but my experience is telling me that there's nothing standing out in the numbers.
Gearbox has been the same too. No changes to shift patterns and it's still as dull-witted as ever in E mode.
First image is economy per tank 01JAN20 to current. Second is miles per week 01JAN20 to current. Last is economy since I acquired the vehicle (2017).
Nothing dramatic to see.
IMG_3393.jpg
IMG_3394.jpg
IMG_3395.jpg

What year is your CLS350? Which iteration of OM642 (231BHP, 265, etc), do you have AdBlue?

I ask as I believe the bluetec euro 6 models take less of a hit in drivability and fuel economy, but start churning though the adblue much quicker

Something interesting which might help people with fuel consumption:

Long story short: The point at which the car changes into 7th gear has changed - my car will only go into 7th at exactly 73mph or higher.

For example, let's say you're joining the motorway and you accelerate gently from 40 to 70mph then knock on the cruise control. I've noticed that the engine will sit at 2000rpm (i.e. 6th gear) forever, unless you pop it manually into 7th, or you accelerate up to 73+mph, and then drop back down to 70 or 65.

You can also accelerate hard from say 50-80mph, then decelerate to 70 and it will often go into 7th too, I suppose because you've exceeded 73mph.

The car should sit at ~1600-1700rpm at 70mph in 7th. So if you're sitting at 70mph at 2000rpm, you could be fooled into thinking that your car is doing a DPF regen.

Ironically, it makes driving slowly and in a more eco-friendly way, more difficult.

I'd love to know if this is the same with other people's OM642 post-update?

(Yes, the gearbox was serviced by MB about 8 months ago and yes, I've tried a gearbox reset procedure a couple of times and it helps smoothness around town in C/E mode, but not at 70mph. I might try it again right before a motorway trip.)

I have exactly this issue with my 2012 E350Cdi Wagon that I agreed to have updated in November last year.....
I've been looking for evidence that I'm not the only one and can't believe that I missed this before (didn't look hard enough). I'm a previous member of this forum, but couldn't remember my password and desperately needed to respond to this thread, so registered again... :)

TeddyRuxpin, have you reached a dead end with MB? I've continuously been advised that my car cannot now be returned to it's previous configuration. So far I've replaced the thermostat as it wasn't reaching 90 degrees, and the car went back to MB Erdington on Wednesday for a "complimentary" diagnostic check which found blocked air filters, so I had these changed as well...

Still no change. the car doesn't engage 7th gear at anything under 73mph automatically and it's still showing circa 10% increase in fuel economy.

I'm on the verge of selling, or perhaps remapping, but that doesn't look to be as beneficial...

Hi,

Yes, I've reached a deadens with MB, unless you want to go the court/ombudsman route.

I am investigating a few companies which may be able to return the car back to how it was.

Will report back in the next few days!

Cheers,

Ed

Interesting how some dealers care and some don't! Yes, please let us know more information as you get it.

If you had a generic remap file
( wrong term as it's really a custom version of your current ) loaded and it wasn't right there would be people working hard to rectify the situation within hours .

MB...

Took car to MB today for a service and engine recall, usual forms come out to sign and on it as well as the service, all about the recall, told the chap I didn't want the ECU software recall, he said, ok no problem, it's your car,you can do what you like, was a bit surprised, so I struck out several lines of recall on his form and wrote underneath, Customer Declined, then signed it,. He was quite happy and assured me nothing would be done.
Drove car 20 miles home all as it should be. :thumb:

Will a warranty still be valid if the work is rejected?

Got this email today. Interesting info for anybody who thinks this is a 'voluntary' measure:

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service. As I was unable to reach you on the telephone today, I felt it appropriate to follow up with yourself in writing.

I would like to take the opportunity to clarify the Service Measure that was carried out on your car. It is correct that it is described as a Voluntary Service Measure, however this refers to our voluntary cooperation with the German authorities in updating the software in the engine control unit of various diesel cars with the Euro 5 emissions.

As with all Service Measures released for our cars, this work will be completed when your car is next on site with a Mercedes-Benz Retailer. Whether this is servicing or repair work, all outstanding Service Measures must also be completed. It is therefore not possible to have your car serviced with a Mercedes-Benzes Retailer whilst also declining to have the described Service Measure completed.

I was sorry to hear that you feel the Service Measure was not sufficiently explained to you. I can advise that affected customers have been sent a letter describing the work carried out. With reference to your concerns regarding the fuel consumption of your car following the update, I can only refer you to the relevant statement contained within the letter which I have included below for your convenience;

We ensure that the software update has no relevant impact on the certified fuel consumption and Co2 emission values, nor on the engine output, torque, noise emission and service life of the vehicles. To this end, we conducted extensive tests and were unable to detect any relevant deviations. The prerequisite for proper functioning is that the routine maintenance work is carried out as per manufacturer guidelines. On this basis, the German Federal Office for Motor Vehicles has granted us the necessary approval for the software update of your vehicle.

I can confirm that it is not possible for me to provide the requested job card as this constitutes internal information. I am sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations in this regard and I understand that you may remain dissatisfied with the situation. I apologise that this is the case and trust that my correspondence has gone some way to clarifying out position on the matter. If we can assist you in different circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact me or my colleagues.

If you are unhappy with this final decision or feel this matter is unresolved, you can seek advice with an CTSI Certified Alternative Dispute Resolution provider. We are prepared to engage with The Motor Ombudsman to resolve your dispute. Further details can be found at www.themotorombudsman.org, or alternatively their telephone number is 0345 241 3008 selecting option 1.

Yours sincerely

Harry Owrid
Customer Service UK

I got this exact same email from Harry Owrid!

My car went in for a service and MOT on Wednesday 3rd June, delayed from 8th April due to pandemic.

On arrival I was presented with the paperwork and advised that there is a software update for the car that is voluntary, I had intended to have this done but for some reason changed my mind whilst speaking with the service advisor, my car has run faultlessly and I guess in the back of my mind it worriied me something may upset the performance.

The advisor said that the update could affect the mpg by up to 5mpg.

When I declined the update he did say I could have it done FOC at any time and that in his estimation around 70% of customers decline the update.

I do feel bad as I believe that this update makes the car greener although it is already an EU6 rated car.

I may yet return to have this done.

Robin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom