• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Valeo or Behr rad

Alpha

I own a 2003 W209 which might be potentially infected with the glycol issue. I have read on the forum ways how to identify your radiator based on the crimpring method of the coolant hoses etc.

Lots of people have trouble Identifyinf their rad brand, so this weekend I was able to get a good look from underneath the car and I shot some pics. Unfortunately I also couldnt really identify which rad is installed in my car now.

Below some pics of the crimpings and the label.
Anyone can tell me what type of radiator I have?
If its a Valeo im inclined to go ahead and install a seperate ATF oil cooler.
My feeling says since the crimping is a metal wiring around the hose its NOT a Valeo...

Thanks a lot,

Attachments

• IMG00020-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    IMG00020-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG00021-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    IMG00021-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG00022-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    IMG00022-20110122-1406-small.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 312
Behr is known for good quality, Valeo is known for what the dog left on a pile when you walk it outside.

If it's a Behr they have their B-letter logo.
All w202 AMG cars used Behr for cooling parts.

If Behr sells a replacement radiator for your car, buy it and replace the old one

I have a valeo on a 9 year old W209 with zero issues. Coolant change last year. Gearbox fluid change including filters. Not a jot wrong.

p.s. the Valeo badge is visible on the top of the radiator...

I'll try to have a further look for a label from the top of the rad this weekend.
I also planned a glycol test at an automatic transmission expert next week, to rule out any possibility of failures.

Car drives perfect up to now...wanna keep it that way.

If it turns out i have a Valeo I will install a seperate gearbox oil cooler. Many guys have done this in The Netherlands and rules out any further problems in the future regarding this issue as both the cooland circuit and tranny oil circuit are seperated.

I'have got the same problem as you ALPHA. There's some good pictures on MB world of the rad. but until I can get a good view of it from under my car, I still can't tell.
My car is an 03 w211 e320 so I don't know if your's is the same. I assume your's is
auto. Do you have a large dia. galvanised pipe running in front & at the bottom of
the rad. If so do you know what its for. If the rad turns out to be a VALEO, I'm thinking of fitting a seperate cooler, Like you.Do you know of any supplier for this mod?

Im pretty sure now I might actually have a Behr rad (which is supposedly the good one). Cos i can see metal wiring crimpings along the connectors at the rad.
There's some helpful pics in some of these threads http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/41764-official-test-proceedure-valeo-radiator-issue-4.html
Also check the links to other threads here.
But it stays a difficult discussion to determine which radiotor you have if you cant see a clear LOGO or name on the rad itself.

I have made an appointment to get a glycol test this weekend to rule out if i have any contamination. Fingers x-ed.

The seperate oil coolers i have heard about were from Volvo. But dont know what my guy will use. I'll ask him. I dont think it matters a lot which brand it is... as long as you can seperate the circuits ur save.

Actually it looks like you have a Valeo. You can see the toothed crimping at the bottom right of your third photo where the main tank connects in to the plastic side section where the hoses go.

This toothed crimping will extend up the sides of the tank and is what defines a Valeo as opposed to the wavy type crimping of the Behr

hmm i cant really see what you mean actually. I only see metal wirings and no toothed crimping. could you please specify in a lil more detail where you see this?

Alpha, my 2 penneth worth. Have a look at the thread as posted by Tagnut - it will clarify the types of metal crimpings, however these refer to how the core of the radiator matrix is fixed to the end tanks. The picture (no 2) in your original post appears to be of the intercooler and charge air pipe connection and is not part of the cooling system. I believe that when looking at picture 3 you can just make out the intercooler (with castellation type crimping) forward of the radiator which appears to have the wave/ripple type crimping of the Behr radiator. To confirm have a closer look at the sides of the radiator. I am sure some of the more senior technical members will provide assurance.

Alpha, my 2 penneth worth. Have a look at the thread as posted by Tagnut - it will clarify the types of metal crimpings, however these refer to how the core of the radiator matrix is fixed to the end tanks. The picture (no 2) in your original post appears to be of the intercooler and charge air pipe connection and is not part of the cooling system. I believe that when looking at picture 3 you can just make out the intercooler (with castellation type crimping) forward of the radiator which appears to have the wave/ripple type crimping of the Behr radiator. To confirm have a closer look at the sides of the radiator. I am sure some of the more senior technical members will provide assurance.

My bad didn't notice that sorry :o

As Doulf says confirm by looking down the sides of the radiator matrix where the end tank is connected. This was how I found out mine was a Valeo. Needed a torch to see it from above though.

Hello

while fitting my led lights off killerhertz I thought 'whats my rad...' spotted this is this good or bad?

rad.jpg

Allright, Tagnut and Doulf you clarified a lot. somehow i was looking at the way the hoses were fixed to the radiator.
However Doulf you say that you actually see more like Behr type crimping while Tagnut says he the Valeo type crimping.. in the same pic.
But at least I know better what to look for now. Sorry for the confusion! but thanks a lot for your clarifications!

I'll try to make better pics and post them on the forum, from how it looks when the rad is installed in the car still

Alpha, I think Doulf and I both agree that the toothed type crimping is a Valeo radiator and the wavy stuff is the Behr however what I thought was the rad in the third pic above may in fact be the intercooler as per Doulf's post. To confirm this, if you look from above you should be able to see where the radiator matrix connects into the end tank which will give you a definite answer.

Frankly I hope you have the Behr. Just had to change my Valeo radiator last month as it was leaking coolant in to the gearbox.

^ How much was this if you don't mine, PM if you like

No I don't mind - £485 including labour and replacement coolant. I thought this was a bit dear but all of his pricing is usually pretty keen so went with it.

ok i think i found myself some good news.
First of all i found this topic which has the most clear pics of what to look for.
What the hell is going on with my tranny? - Page 4 - MBWorld.org Forums (see post 77 for the pics)

I just took myself some more pics from the rad. (not from the bottom of the car) but with just the hood open.
However it is very difficult to see cos the crimping of the rad is actually partly covered with the housing of the fan.

IMG_6263 (Large) (Medium).JPG
IMG_6264 (Large) (Medium).JPG
On both pics you can see the wavy crimping. On the second pics I marked the plastic bumbs which make the crimp go wavy (see also the thread mentioned above)

Next to that I also found on the left-hand side of the radiator (drivers side of a European car) a sticker with the logo Bher.

So Im actually very relieved.
Thanks for making clear to me in this thread what to specifically look for.

Last edited:
Aother twist to the crimping, (valeo/behr) on my 03 w211 e320 Looking forward, the crimping each side is niether wavey or castleated, Its more of a zig zag shape.Has anyone any ideas what this type is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom