Virgin Super Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I have just upgraded my internet to the 30Mb Virgin service and they have sent me the new Super Hub.

I am having serious problem with it, if I am in the room where the router is I get 30Mb download speed, if I move to another room just along the landing I get 18Mb and if I go down stairs it drops to just 2Mb or 5Mb.

It also won't let me log onto it when connected wirelessly.

Does anyone have a good config for making this router work, or should I just use it as a modem and connect up another wireless router?

The connection also drops out on the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 constantly.

Regards

Tan

I had the same issues with wireless connectivity in other rooms with mine - I went back and stuck my old wireless router on the end of it and used that instead. The super hub is crap, even Virgin techs themselves admit it.

The super hub is known for problems... the issue is, from what I understand, you can't use it as a modem atm as it has a routing issue where it wont let you connect a router/switch behind it...

Apparently, the next software update will fix that... we wait with baited breath...

I have the superhub with a 30mb connection and have found the same as you that the wireless range is pretty poor. Also I have some devices such as my Apple TV that just won't stay connected whereas my iphone 4 stays connected without issue.

I switched off the wireless on the superhub and connected my Edimax wireless AP and normal service was resumed. Good range, reliable wireless connections etc.

I know this is a difficult concept for some folks but why not just use CAT5/6 cable?

Because some devices don't provide for such and only provide for wireless. Probably a difficult concept for you.

Virgin cap the d/l speeds too:mad:. Thats why I changed to sky. Not as fast at 2meg but reliable all day :thumb:

I hardly ever get dropouts with my 0.5meg supply.:D

A quick spin through Virgin's Support Forum will reveal that you're not alone in possessing the piece of junk that Virgin laughingly call a superhub.

When I was offered the upgrade from my 20M broadband, I rather wisely declined, waiting for the early adopters to give their opinions on it.

I'm glad I waited :)

Evident the 5GHz option is better than the 2.4Ghz. Virgin Media Super Hub review | Expert Reviews gives some settings to try. I know this is a difficult concept for some folks but why not just use CAT5/6 cable?

...because I want to move around the house and garden with my laptop,as does my son, as does my daughter, as does their mother.........because I want to use the wifi connection on my phone, as does my son etc.

Not a difficult concept, just useless.

I wanted to upgrade to 30meg but Virgin said I had to have the superhub as my current modem will not handle the speed. Didn't want it because it doesn't support 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time and because I use a remote drive attached to my router for data back up.

Virgin refused to supply a 30meg capable modem so I didn't upgrade.

Even the BT fibre router is not reliable... Mine went down and took them three days to send me another. In the meantime tried to find one locally but the cheapest fibre router is around £250!
Nuts

Just buy this and all your problems will be solved.

Sumvision SVW307R Wireless N 300Mbps DSL Router

The problem is that if you want a 30 meg connection Virgin mandate that you take their 'superhub'. They will not supply a 30meg cable modem nor will they let you fit one of your own. If you already have a 30meg capable modem you're ok, you can use whatever router you choose. If you haven't you're stuck with their 'superhub', at least until they release firmware which enables you to attach your router to the superhub.

Any product that uses the word 'super' in it's title will always be doomed to not be.

at least until they release firmware which enables you to attach your router to the superhub.

A wireless access point is effectively a router. It can serve DHCP of it's own accord or it can pass it through etc. I have my wireless access point connected to my Virgin super hub and it's working perfectly. I have the wireless switched off on the super hub but still have wireless through the AP. The AP is connected to the router with a CAT5 cable. How could connecting any other router be any different? Providing the other router has an uplink port on it, I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. My superhub hasn't had a FW update, it is as supplied by Virgin 2 months ago.

I'm not a networking expert by any means and only know enough to manage my home setups, but it just doesn't make sense to me what you're saying.

Regards,

I just use a seperate wireless access point with the superhub and have disabled the superhub's built in wireless. The new fimrware that will enable the superhub to be used in modem only mode is in trial at the moment so should hopefully be released soon.

Last edited:
If you want speed dont use wireless plug in a cable

Wireless protocols are not full duplex. If speed is a concern, lay some cables - there is no substitute.

Last edited:
Have a virgin superhub. Found it fantastic. Get 24 meg download and 3 meg upload (think broadband speedtest) using wireless in the same room. Get 20 meg download and 2.4 meg upload upstairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom