Virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have received messages from a number of friends on my email contact list to say they have received emails from me which have various adverts. They say that my computer must have a virus. Yet when I run various anti-virus programmes, nothing shows up. What can I do? One female friend got an advert for anti-wrinkle cream (and she doesn't believe me when I tell her I knew nothing about it!!)

Most malware/virus impersonate someone on an address list and send it from that address instead of the real victims account name.

This way it is harder to trace the real sender as everyone contacts the faked sender (you). One way to be sure is ask one of them to few the properties of the email and send you the full headers. That will have the fake sender and the real senders details.

Most malware/virus impersonate someone on an address list and send it from that address instead of the real victims account name.

This way it is harder to trace the real sender as everyone contacts the faked sender (you). One way to be sure is ask one of them to few the properties of the email and send you the full headers. That will have the fake sender and the real senders details.

few the properties = view the properties :)

1. Possibly your email address was spoofed.

2. If you have an online email account (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, etc), it may have been hacked, so change the password.

3. Run MalwareBytes scan.

(All have already been mentioned).

BTW, 1 and 2 are not related to which OS you run (Win or MacOS).

Thank you all for your advice. I have run Malwarebytes and it said I had over 170 potential threats. These were labelled -Files, Folders, Registry Keys and Registry Values. Is it safe for me to quarantine all of these?

Yes it should be safe to delete/quarantine them.
You could set a system restore point before doing so if you want in case something doesnt work after although it would be highly unlikely.
And change your email password!

Thank you all for your advice. I have run Malwarebytes and it said I had over 170 potential threats. These were labelled -Files, Folders, Registry Keys and Registry Values. Is it safe for me to quarantine all of these?

Given how many results you had, it might be wise to run a scan more often - just ensure you keep MWB up to date before you do.

MWB does quarantine, so you can restore back not that I've ever had to.

Or set a System Restore point as suggested.

Best to run several anti-malware programmes.
Recently lots of female colleagues said they were getting dirty emails from me.I told them not to worry as were indeed from me.Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom