• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

w124 230E transmission slipping when cold?

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi everyone,
Recently I've noticed that my tranny is slipping from 2-3 only when cold temperature.

Once its warmed up like 15-20 mins or so its an excellent transmission.. no slipping, excellent shifting etc..

Its just when cold in the morning. It selects gear around 4-5 seconds after a gear is selected.

It will jump revs while shifting anywhere from 500-1500 revs. I talked to someone who also had the same problem years ago when he owned a benz but he forgot what it actually was which was fixed. He mentioned that there is a sort of pump that creates pressure for the gears to shift and that it can be adjusted to add more pressure so it does not slip and this is also supposedly a very common thing to get deregulated in these cars. He got it adjusted and all is good. Now my question is do any of you guys have any idea what my Uncle is talking about and what the name of the part actually is. Could it be the vacuum modulator?
confused.gif
Thanks for the help guys.

It could be the K3 spring pack your uncle was talking about.

Is that repairable? If so what would be a rough cost?

is there anything else that could be wrong ?

Is that repairable? If so what would be a rough cost?
Yes the spares pack costs about £15 and it is easy to do once the gearbox fluid is drained and the sump removed.

Hi all,
Just an update.. checked my atf fluid level when warm and was low..
Added some dextron 3 in there slowly checking level..
It reached the top line and now tranny is excellent! No More Slipping!
Thanks anyway :)

NOTE FOR EVERYONE.. CHECK FLUID LEVELS FIRST BEFORE GETTING ****** OFF LIKE ME THINKING YOUR TRANNY IS F'D :D

Nice one IMB, had similar problems a year or so ago with mileage at around 197K! Changed the tranny oil and filter and it has been smooth as velvet since. For oil change, used the original Dealer stuff but reckon all ATF's would do the job?

:) I just used CASTROL DEXTRON 3.. as long as its DEX 2 or 3 you are fine.. Dont use anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom