• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Dash Removal To Replace Heater Matrix

rumelk

Car
Mercedes Benz 200e
Hi,

with help ive managed to diagnose the reason for my heating now working. Its the matrix that needs replacing. Does anybody have a tutorial with pics on how to remove the dash to gain access to the Heater matrix?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

You might want to try a bottle of K Seal before you go through the huge job of replacing the matrix.

I know of a couple of old cars it's saved from the scrappy when the non handy owners couldn't afford the 10 hour dealer or indy labour bill.

You might want to try a bottle of K Seal before you go through the huge job of replacing the matrix.

I know of a couple of old cars it's saved from the scrappy when the non handy owners couldn't afford the 10 hour dealer or indy labour bill.

My matrix is blocked, and ive been advised that if i was to unblock then most likely it would start to leak, so id rather just take the plunge and change it.

My matrix is blocked, and ive been advised that if i was to unblock then most likely it would start to leak, so id rather just take the plunge and change it.

Google 'citric acid flush'. If you think the matrix is fooked already you have nothing to lose.

Citric acid flush the system & then K Seal added with new coolant. If it doesn't work it's cost you about £25, if it does it will save you loads of money or many hours work.

i was thinking could i jus use one shot drain cleaner or caustic soda on the matrix, then use k seal. It only because i have one shot and k seal in the garage, saves me a trip if it does the job?

I wouldn't use anything that harsh. God only knows what it could damage.

Citric acid seems to do the flushing / unblocking trick without buggering up the rest of the system. Why risk using something unknown?

i was thinking could i jus use one shot drain cleaner or caustic soda on the matrix, then use k seal. It only because i have one shot and k seal in the garage, saves me a trip if it does the job?

Have you tried this yet or are you taking the plunge and removing the dashboard? :eek:

Have you tried this yet or are you taking the plunge and removing the dashboard? :eek:

spoke to my mechanic, and he advised me against the acid flush. He goes to me that if i go ahead with the flush, then im likely to get leaks via the matrix, which will lead to water build up in the cabin. i've decided to take the plunge and rip out the dashboard and replace the matrix with a new one.

Keep watching this thread, il be putting up a step by step process of removal.

Keep watching this thread, il be putting up a step by step process of removal.

That would be brilliant. I have the same problem, but I am delaying the matrix replacement for a while, as I now have some heat.

I've discovered that my Duo-valve was not working, so have removed the innards, to let water constantly through, until I source a replacement valve.

I can now, after several attempts with Holts Speedflush, get water flowing through the matrix. I don't know if it contains Citric acid or not, but you can get it at Halfords. It took 3 or 4 goes before it worked, but the matrix is not leaking in the cabin (yet..).

There must be a one-way valve somewhere, as I can only flush water through the matrix one way, which seems unusual.

Anyway, I now have a decent heat. It could be hotter, but I am happy to be making progress. I think it would be hotter if I could get more air out, but the system is proving hard to bleed completely.

Good luck with the dash removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom