W124 E300 Faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blobbyknobby

Please help.... my new 1992 e300 came with a buggered battery...
Ive charged it up for a few hours and it starts and runs the car for 30 mins or so.. then dies.

when is charged the Dash lights seem to act funny, as in there seems to be a rear illumination behind them... the abs light wont go of till the engine starts, then sometimes comes back on. the electric windows wont go work unless the drivers door is open...the door switch seems to cause this.. lmfao.

Any ideas where to start ? ive opened the fuse box and cleaned all the contacts and fuses... still the same..

Please help.... my new 1992 e300 came with a buggered battery...
Ive charged it up for a few hours and it starts and runs the car for 30 mins or so.. then dies.

when is charged the Dash lights seem to act funny, as in there seems to be a rear illumination behind them... the abs light wont go of till the engine starts, then sometimes comes back on. the electric windows wont go work unless the drivers door is open...the door switch seems to cause this.. lmfao.

Any ideas where to start ? ive opened the fuse box and cleaned all the contacts and fuses... still the same..

OVP , Is playing up ; Needs Replacing ! :thumb:

Explain please to the dumb non merc dude!

There is a relay with a fuse on top of it behind the battery. Usually behind a black plastic cover. Its involved in all sorts of systems on the car and when it fails all sorts of odd things can happen. Seem to remember a new one was £80 ish or can be fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Have a quick hunt on eBay - I had to buy a replacement one for my 300TE (thanks to the AA trying to jump start the old girl when she was on loan to a friend... never again). They're very easy to replace.
If that's not the OVP, though, it may be that the battery itself is causing major issues... don't know if modern batteries can still short across one cell, but it won't be doing your alternator much good. I'd suggest that, since you've got to take the battery out to get at the OVP, change the battery too. Euro do some at reasonable prices!
Might also be worth checking the voltage output from the alternator... after all, that may be what killed the battery in the first place.

the alternator is putting out 12v, which is a bit low.
Ive repaired the ovp some contacts were cracked/corroded.
the abs light is now off. the battery light is still lite on dash.

How do you know the alternator is outputting 12v, that sounds more like battery voltage.

The charge light still being on indicates the alternator isn't charging.

DMM reading 12.1v coming from the Alternator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom