• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 Idiotic mistake. Missed timing chain cover bolt when lifting head and... 'CRACK'

Good call there. Is Dirko the Elring stuff? It sounds familiar. I think when I picked up the head gasket set they threw in a tube.
My Dirko has an Elring logo on it so I guess they are the same.

Well that was interesting.

So far so good, running well. Slightly hesitant starting and hunting a bit at idle, but thats another thread for another day. New dual fuse OVP relay on the way so that might help.

The guide rail pins tapped in tight with no drama. When pushed home they seat in a pocket on the wall of the head, as well as being supported by the timing chain cover, so hoping there won't be too much stress on the repair. No oil weeps yet anyway.

It was a good thing I went back to the manual installing the tc tensioner... was about to bung it back in ready assembled, like I did on the 190. Luckily I checked and found the correct assembly method before making another daft mistake.

I'm fairly optimistic it will hold till I locate a head to swap on.

Thanks again for the help and conversation. Very very appreciated.

Please don't laugh (or cry) too hard - I'm a newbie in distress.

Was lifting the head off my 2.3e in the cold and the dark. Forgot to remove the timing chain cover bolt by the guide rail and only went and broke a chunk off the timing chain cover. Actual head (as in everything but the broken cover) is very good.

So, my thoughts are; the timing chain cover isn't under pressure but is getting sprayed with hot oil. Maybe it can be saved? I've received about 50/50 advice between welding it up (thin cast aluminium - tricky) and bonding the chunk back in place with jb or similar. An MG old-timer who looked at it for me figured it was the first time he'd ever seen a job suitable for metal epoxy!)

My question is am I right in thinking the front cover isn't under huge pressure? Advice & opinions graciously received!

(and yes... I know... I'm an idiot...)
Hi my son works in a place that makes stainless steel display units, they use a 2 pack epoxy resin to weld them together, I have used it to repair holes in exhaust in the past,its so potent you need to use it outside ,I have a part used pack in my garage, I am based in liverpool if you can collect your welcome to it.regards baz

Hi my son works in a place that makes stainless steel display units, they use a 2 pack epoxy resin to weld them together, I have used it to repair holes in exhaust in the past,its so potent you need to use it outside ,I have a part used pack in my garage, I am based in liverpool if you can collect your welcome to it.regards baz
Really decent of you, thanks. I'm in Dublin though! (Or 'the other Liverpool' as a friend in work would say)

Well two-and-a-half years have passed and the fix has held up well. I've a few quid put aside now to replace the head, hopefully later in the summer. It was an odd fix for an odd car (non cat, no maf, no O2 sensor, no pin #3 on diagnostic port etc). Cheers, Rog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom