W124 260E Engine Problem HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Update

I picked her up today and spoke at length with the garage. The check on the timing revealed everything to be spot on and the leak-down tests showed low leakage across the cylinders. Once the new ignition components were installed she fired right up to a smooth idle at 650rpm and accelerates smoothly up to the redline. They checked the oil for petrol contamination and declared it smelled good and was a good consistency (same garage did full service inc. oil, filters and rocker cover gasket about 3.5k ago and she was bang on the middle of the dipstick :thumb:) so will wait till 66k to replace. They road tested her and advised that there was no point in redoing the anomalous compression test unless the performance drops off in future.

I took her out for 100 miles today to test across a range of conditions and note the following - idle is a bit smoother than before, pulls very cleanly all the way through the rev range but then she was running fine until she stopped. I tried a couple of WOT 0-60s and she did it in 10 seconds flat notwithstanding lighting up the back tyres in the wet weather we are having here. Sat at 80 on the motorway with no bother and no sign of any smoke out the back.

Big relief that all has turned out well and the total bill was quite reasonable in the end. They even MOT'd her and cleaned her inside and out. Thanks to everyone here for helping me out with great advice. Now all I need to find is a replacement offside tow-hook cover in the flat style!

zhamG2u.jpg

snap

She looks like mine .Do look after her ,after all she is a few yeas old now .I treat mine with respect . Look after her and she will do the same for you ..

She looks like mine .Do look after her ,after all she is a few yeas old now .I treat mine with respect . Look after her and she will do the same for you ..

I couldn't agree more. I looked at a few before I bought her in 2015 with 52k on the clock and she was by far the best condition, she drives like she could be 2 years old not 27. My wife and I use her every day and she's been very reliable up to now. Just that when I bought her she was 25 and on all her original components, even exhaust, brakes, aux. drive belt! I suppose I'm systematically going through replacing all the consumable that need done, just glad I'm not going to have to pay for a full top end rebuild at the moment... Any way seems like she will keep on rocking for a good few years yet.

How many miles have you done in yours?

DC21 Myself and the car i have only done about 500 from the day it was given to me as a birthday gift from my cousin. Just 4 years ago now .. But in all the milage is 89000 or there abouts still has original number plates from the dealer , along with all the documents, and original radio,plus the bill of sale from dealers at -£24000 new . And a box of mint imperials in the dash board with dealers name on it .The work is now done ,,most of it was normal items that go over the period of 28 yrars .Along with front wing rust in normal place .The one side of the car is like new ,,but i do need one wng for driverside .Then its finished .

Pleased you got sorted - the old 124 six cylinder Mercs are great well built cars and ride more comfortably then the latest E series:cool:

great news nice car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom