W124 Ignition barrel won't turn! Please help :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anytime tell me if you can still do this procedure with the steering wheel locked?

Can anytime tell me if you can still do this procedure with the steering wheel locked?
Yes, you can - mine was locked when I did it. If you think about it, it must be possible because there's no way of unlocking the steering wheel other than by twisting the key.

In terms of the number of springs that need to be released, both my old one and the replacement one had only one so on that basis I would think yours does too (what year is your car btw? - mine is a 95). If you think you can detect the presence of one spring, which you mention, if the other slot does not feel the same, this would suggest yours is also only one.

Re Dremeling off the front, it's really not that difficult. From memory (never entirely reliable these days admittedly!), there are a couple of screws that hold the piece of trim that goes underneath the steering wheel. You don't even need to remove it; just lever it down enough so that you have full access to the collar thing (mine's rhd and I assume yours is too - lhd may possibly be different). It's fairly tough steel though - have a spare cutting disc or two to hand! However, if your hunch about being able to compress the spring is correct, hopefully you won't have to do this.

Yes, you can - mine was locked when I did it. If you think about it, it must be possible because there's no way of unlocking the steering wheel other than by twisting the key.

In terms of the number of springs that need to be released, both my old one and the replacement one had only one so on that basis I would think yours does too (what year is your car btw? - mine is a 95). If you think you can detect the presence of one spring, which you mention, if the other slot does not feel the same, this would suggest yours is also only one.

Re Dremeling off the front, it's really not that difficult. From memory (never entirely reliable these days admittedly!), there are a couple of screws that hold the piece of trim that goes underneath the steering wheel. You don't even need to remove it; just lever it down enough so that you have full access to the collar thing (mine's rhd and I assume yours is too - lhd may possibly be different). It's fairly tough steel though - have a spare cutting disc or two to hand! However, if your hunch about being able to compress the spring is correct, hopefully you won't have to do this.
Great news that you were able to do it with your steeling wheel locked!!!! This give me hope! Thats very true, no other way than turning key to unlock, so if I can get it off, then I can use a screwdriver to turn the ignition to start the car and unlock steering wheel for now.

My car is a 1994. Ive just seen on YouTube that there is one the black collar hence why it can't be removed and one on the barrel. I've managed to line up the wholes in position one (2 and 7 o'clock). I can definitely feel like I'm hitting something (spring) then I can feel my tool going when I push more! But for the life of me cannot get this thing off!!!!!! Did it come out easily for you? Im thinking of trying to leave the tool in why I try to hit it free with a hammer and flathead/chisel! I really need to get this done as I cannot miss anymore work!

Having the holes line up I do not think I need to Dremel at all! I've removed all of the trim underneath the wheel just so I have more access. Mine is RHD drive as well.

Hey guys
That was about what I paid a few years ago for the barrel, a key and installation.

I should find another supplier or speak to MB at Milton Keynes.

RayH
This was just for the key alone! haha. I may try a different dealer but that means I need to come in and show v5/id and would be difficult being so far away. it would be nice if people could do this over video chat or email!

Great news that you were able to do it with your steeling wheel locked!!!! This give me hope! Thats very true, no other way than turning key to unlock, so if I can get it off, then I can use a screwdriver to turn the ignition to start the car and unlock steering wheel for now.

My car is a 1994. Ive just seen on YouTube that there is one the black collar hence why it can't be removed and one on the barrel. I've managed to line up the wholes in position one (2 and 7 o'clock). I can definitely feel like I'm hitting something (spring) then I can feel my tool going when I push more! But for the life of me cannot get this thing off!!!!!! Did it come out easily for you? Im thinking of trying to leave the tool in why I try to hit it free with a hammer and flathead/chisel! I really need to get this done as I cannot miss anymore work!

Having the holes line up I do not think I need to Dremel at all! I've removed all of the trim underneath the wheel just so I have more access. Mine is RHD drive as well.
How far in does your tool go (oo-er!), and how much further when you overcome the resistance of what you assume is the spring? It came out easily for me but only because I had to cut the front of the collar off. I've never actually done what you're trying to do (as I couldn't get the switch to position 1). I'm still slightly intrigued by the fact that the front bit of yours is able to rotate apparently independently of the main mechanism - neither of mine did.

How far in does your tool go (oo-er!), and how much further when you overcome the resistance of what you assume is the spring? It came out easily for me but only because I had to cut the front of the collar off. I've never actually done what you're trying to do (as I couldn't get the switch to position 1). I'm still slightly intrigued by the fact that the front bit of yours is able to rotate apparently independently of the main mechanism - neither of mine did.
@Williamwoo The tool goes in about 40mm; once I feel the spring it goes in further 10mm. But I still can’t get the collar off, technically I should be able to get the collar off first as they are separate locking mechanisms from the barrel. Once that’s off the barrel should just slide out with the tool.

Did you cut off the entire black collar and take it off? What did you use as space seems limited?

I was very lucky the front silver plate could move, I read there in a pin which can be sheared off with force. Here on some pics of me moving it to align holes.

Next step is put some lithium grease down holes to try and free the spring and black collar retaining clips. If that does work, then I cut black collar off and try to take out barrel. If that doesn’t work then I drink through barrel so incam
Able to access the end where I can use a screwdriver to turn key to position one and unlock wheel. Then I would have to dremel steering lock pin to take out whole unit and replace.

My only issue is if I can’t turn ignition on with screwdriver or if I grind down steerin lock pin will it unlock the electrical cap that goes onto ignition switch. Look like the key needs to be turned to position one to do this as per the video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How far in does your tool go (oo-er!), and how much further when you overcome the resistance of what you assume is the spring? It came out easily for me but only because I had to cut the front of the collar off. I've never actually done what you're trying to do (as I couldn't get the switch to position 1). I'm still slightly intrigued by the fact that the front bit of yours is able to rotate apparently independently of the main mechanism - neither of mine

Attachments

• 5C0A99C5-72F9-4029-8472-D797A5DB30B6.jpeg
    5C0A99C5-72F9-4029-8472-D797A5DB30B6.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0C093ABB-2444-48D9-ACDB-4CB37E82E470.jpeg
    0C093ABB-2444-48D9-ACDB-4CB37E82E470.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 764C9984-0912-4D35-B0F9-A67A03825D9E.jpeg
    764C9984-0912-4D35-B0F9-A67A03825D9E.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 1
  • 68F96313-E08B-49E8-86A6-C84784E1D967.jpeg
    68F96313-E08B-49E8-86A6-C84784E1D967.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 1
Be good to hear from others about my plan stated above

I really don't know why you're having such difficulty, sorry - it must be maddening. However, I've never actually done what you're trying to do so have no idea how hard it might be. Your figure of 40mm for the tool depth is interesting though. I've just had a look at my old one and I think the depth is more like 25mm before the start of the black spring - please see pic. This makes me wonder whether something's getting lost in translation somehow.

With regard to cutting off the collar, I simply cut around the front until a 'ring' of metal fell off and then could easily access the spring, and it all almost fell out.
tumbler release.jpg

I FU£K!N DID IT!!!! Will update tmrw as it’s been a long day.

I will post a new thread of how to do it and the mechanisms involved so no one has to troll through 100’s of posts that provide false information or bits here and there. Don’t want anyone going through this bs again.

A forum is about helping people who have a love for cars and especially mercs.

I FU£K!N DID IT!!!! Will update tmrw as it’s been a long day.

I will post a new thread of how to do it and the mechanisms involved so no one has to troll through 100’s of posts that provide false information or bits here and there. Don’t want anyone going through this bs again.

A forum is about helping people who have a love for cars and especially mercs.
Well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom