W124 M102 2.3 Engine Timing Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imbck666

Car
Mercedes W124 230E Saloon (SOLD), W210 E200 (WRITTEN OFF), W210 E240 2001 Facelift, W211 E220 cdi 07
Hi all,

Tackling the head gasket on my 230E which did not need to be done but am doing it anyway as the miles are stacking up (187,000) on original gasket.

I'm restoring the car very slowly to its former glory so started off with this job.

I've taken the head off, all in good condition however let the chain slip off the teeth at the bottom sprocket with the dizzy itself out (also replacing) so I know my timing is completely out..

How can I start everything from scratch and set the engine timing from scratch starting from bottom and working my way to the top?

Can anyone explain the steps needed to take with regards to the Dizzy etc..

Thanks

Cant help with the timing issue but i've never heard of anyone renewing a perfectly good head gasket for no particular reason, they can last for much, much longer than 187k........just seems to me to be unnecessary work and expense.....probably worth overhauling the valves, etc, now you have it off.

Thanks for your view but at this sort of mileage I have heard that doing it is good anyway.
I'm overhauling everything.

There's three references that you'll need to set to:-

O/T on the crank pulley - TDC.
Notch on the camshaft level with the head
Rotor arm on the distributor.

I always mark the chain against the sprocket before removing - and take a few pics of these points.

If you remove the plastic cover under the rotor arm there should be a notch on the casing.

Have you got any pics as it currently is?

Once back together, rotate the engine over on the 27mm bolt on th crank pulley a couple of times - double check the timing is still correct and that nothing is sticking (ie pistons touching valves!)

Will

Thanks for the info Will,

yes I have a few pics, documented quite well actually :)
I will attach these shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom