• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W124 scabby front wing

FLYPOGGER

Car
Golf
Nearside wing has no visible rust. I'd usually expect the nearside to suffer first, as deeper puddles, and they stay wet longer than the offside.
The offside wing has scabbing on the wheel arch, more worrying is the part just above the bumper.
Scraped rust from the wheel arch, two coats of some rust converter, two coats of primer. Two top coats with a touch up pen. Looks very good, from 3 metres away. 😁
Then I poked at the bit above the bumper, fully expecting my screwdriver to fall through. It didnt👍😁😊
Done the rust converter and first coat of primer.
This is never going to look good, but better than ignoring it.
The wing is folded at 90 degrees inwards above the bumper. Obviously there will still be rust on this vertical surface, my enthusiasm does not include removing the bumper.
What I'll do is try to spray/ poke/ brush some waxoyl into this area, which has a plasticky spacer between the bumper and wing.
This would seem to be a dampness trap, and perhaps depending on manufacturing tolerances / paint thickness/ chafing, leads to the area being prone to rust.
The rust will no doubt return, but, it is better to have a bit of poor paintwork than to ignore it and have a hole appear later.
I'll see if removing the indicator assembly gives me enough access to spray waxoyl in this area.

Look for a good used front wing like i did ...took some time to find one the same colour, but i did .. it was just bolt on after i treated the rear of it with wax ..And second picture was the donar car it came off . Scrap after a driverless lorry ran in to it . C9hF6Fd.jpgnew wing (1).jpg DSC06968.JPGDSC06967.JPG

Last edited:
Try and fill in your profile ,, the part under your name on the left hand side , so other members know what car you have,, it saves us from asking you . Take a look at my profile to get an idea . Yes love the colour Diamond Blue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom