W124 woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine stays stable whatever on the temperature gauge. As above, I agree that it shouldn't really be running on the fan all the time anyway... There's a fault elsewhere...

Glad the audio is done - you have the factory rear door handle speakers? Mine is in Ultimate Audio in Bromsgrove for fitting at the moment...

Check the front plastic engine cover is located correctly and isn't fouling the fan and preventing it turning. That's what was causing mine to overheat.

Well, it gets more confusing by the minute as I read your posts. The Merc shop guy told me late this afternoon that it was the viscous fan clutch after all not switching the fan (he actually said that there was a crack on it??), so the new part is coming in tomorrow morning. But yes, I agree with you guys that in the UK weather the temp shouldn't be shooting up all the way to red after hitting a string of red lights, even if the fan is not switching on. My partner actually said "what if we were living in Dubai or another hot place". Actually, we were living in Singapore when I had my 190E 2.6, and that engine never missed a beat or overheated, with constant 30+ degree heat and stifling 99 humidity, and navigating the traffic-clogged streets of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and Bangkok. So yes, something is amiss here... Will pay the guys from the shop a visit tomorrow and post an update.

Oh, and I don't have any rear door handle speakers - just front ones on top of the dash next to the windshield, and the rear ones on the shelf behind the rear seats

you have the factory rear door handle speakers?

They were optional only on the estates

d w124 said:
They were optional only on the estates

Sorry - my mistake. Thought this was an estate for some erroneous moment. I know they were estate only...

Success at last! It was the viscous fan clutch after all - Steve Shali said it was 'bone dry' and wasn't engaging at all. £152 plus VAT for the part, no labour charge. The temp needle now stays glued to 90 regardless of traffic or just sitting idling for a long time.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Pics coming soon (over the weekend).

Still waiting to see those pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom