W140 and Tom Tom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
no, but I think GuyMB has a Travelpilot

.... I use an Ipaq 6515 in all my cars ( and the Landrover has a heated screen ( small wire mesh) - works no problem, as does the B2.

You can get an External antenna for it, if you are having problems though.

Guy also has a W140 - forgot to mention that in my first post !!!!

Depending on the install, you can tuck the wires away....

I've read quite a few posts in other forums from people with heated screens ... they all said it worked OK, but the ones who then fitted the external antenna said the signal strength shot up and performance was much better.

On my Sharan the windscreen heater mesh is basically rectangular, so there's a triangular 'gap' at the bottom corner each side. I think A TomTom would work OK there, but it'd be too far away for the touch screen so I'd need the 700 (or 500 plus optional extra remote).

Still dithering :)

A 96 W140 wouldn't have a heated Windscreen of the type found in Fords & Jag's with the tiny little lines (heater elements). On the digital climate control you get a button for the 'heated front windscreen' which switches the climate control to the highest temperature and the blower on the highest speed whilst directing all of the airflow to the front windscreen.

It's very effective but not quite the same as the Ford Quickclear systems. I don't recall the W140 having a refelctive windscreen (as often found on Renaults), do you shouldn't have any problems with Satelite signals, in fact I use my TomTom in a Focus with the Quickclear screen with no recpetion issues.

TomTom

I use a tomtom in my w203 with no external ariel works fine, either stuck to the screen, or even down by the ashtray. If you intend to use it abroad go for the 700 versian as that coms with a 2 gig hard drive with france etc preloaded, where the 300 only has uk supplied, French maps etc are another £100.
:bannana:

Sat Nav in W140

I have one of the last W140s and mine was fitted at the factory with Sat Nav. Now that I've updated the disc, it runs very well and speaks the directions through the car speakers. I have a small GPS aerial on the roof which was again factory fitted and colour coded. I have used a Tom Tom 500 in my other car and by comparison, the Tom Tom is rubbish!

Perhaps you could find one of the 'proper' units and have it retrofitted?

Mine is the APS 4 as found on the teleatlas website:

http://www.navshop.com/directsales/catalog/default.php?cPath=3_311_396_527

removed

Last edited:
The Sat Nav in the w140 doesn't do speed cameras but that's OK because I don't speed :rolleyes: The Tom Tom can only find fixed cameras and not the ones that usually catch people out (On bridges, hiding in the hedge / next to the pub etc!)

Whilst I like the display on the TomTom 500, I say that it's rubbish for a few reasons:

1/ It couldn't find my house!
2/ It tried to take me off a roundabout and down a dead end.
3/ It couldn't find a postcode I needed in Bouremouth which I know exists.
4/ It couldn't find a postcode I needed in Leeds which I also know exists.
5/ When I was stopped in traffic in an area I know well, it tried to re-route down a stupidly long route around.

Also, I didn't find it as accurate as the one in the Merc. Telling to turn down a road after I've passed it, isn't all that helpfull.

Couple that with the fact that it looks cheap stuck to the window, I much prefer the refined version that Merc installed.

You need to try one out and make your own mind up.

Baghdad or Bust said:
Hmm to put in the APS 4 i would need to remove the car radio.... not ideal

The APS 4 is a radio and Tape Player also. The screen is motorised down, which allows you to put a tape in. Also it is CD ready for a changer.

If you get the APS 30 you have a radio and CD and Nav all in one. I have this in my Dad's W140 and also a B2 they both have GPS aerials sitting on the dash board next to the front screen and work fine if a little slow to lock satellites.

I've got a Morpheous RoadPilot and a Garmin StreetPilot 26xx in my W140 - no problems with the windscreen!

Baghdad or Bust said:
Define rubbish.

Maps are not up to date? Instructions not clear? Route planning poor?
Does your system do speed cameras?

What are the advantages?

I have a spare APS 4 system complete, floating around if you're interested.

I personally have fitted the Becker High speed pro sat nav into my C class and am very very inpressed with it. Cost was £250 of ebay and £150 for the CD changer. The wiring on the late 1998/99 cars is already there so its plug and play.

I've used a TomTom Go 300 in the 140 no problems.

It mounted in the middle of the screen just above the dash ok without getting in the way and picked up a signal quite quickly, my only problem was giving it back to the chap I borrowed it from. A very useful device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom