W164 tailgate problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TUGGERS

Car
ml350
Hi guys.

Not sure where to post this lol. We are having issues with our w164 tailgate. I have a feeling it’s the latch.

Symptoms are tailgate seems to close ok but when latching there is a motor whirring sound for 15 or so seconds after tailgate is shut.

Tailgate will not open at all unless you climb inside and manually release it. The tailgate makes all the righ noises and it tries to open but physically doesn’t. Which makes me think it’s the latch not un-latching?

Also noticed although tailgate does shut properly. I guess the car doesn’t think it is because the interior lights are not going out.

Any advice??

Regards

Darren

While it may be the latch I've found the outside handle can get stuck in the open position which can produce odd results. Usually we open the hatch with the key fob or the driver door switch. As a result the rear handle is seldom used and it has led to sticking. Easy to check and clean.
Skippy

P.s just found small amount of water underneath the fuses in the little compartment on the right side of boot
While it may be the latch I've found the outside handle can get stuck in the open position which can produce odd results. Usually we open the hatch with the key fob or the driver door switch. As a result the rear handle is seldom used and it has led to sticking. Easy to check and clean.
Skippy

Thank for the info skippy.
The handle is deffo working ok and after some more looking at it I’m now convinced it’s the motorised latch. It’s not locking or inclockkng properly.

I’m actually now more concerned with the water ingress into the right side boot compartment.

Anyone have any insight to what it can be. I’ve read the rear light seals can be 1 culprit.
Also the 3rd brake light but hay has been changed. So any other culprits??

Tugged,
The rear light seals are the problem. As I understand it new ones are thicker and should be applied to the body versus the lamp assembly.
Check in the right rear (I think that's correct for LHD or RHD) for the status of the rear SAM. That is also a victim of water when the seals leak. If all of the car functions are working OK, save the tailgate, the SAM should be good.
There's a recent post on Benzworld that shows how a SAM possibly can be rehabilitated - has useful pictures as well.
Skippy

W164 & W211 same lock type. Quite a few other videos on this on utube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See below at 5:50 seconds piece of arm broken

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom