W202 Handle Replacement 1/2 HOW TO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mambo

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 535d Sport, Mini Cooper Convertible
Got bored this evening and as it has finally stoped raining I decided to give the handle swap a go. I only managed to figure out the rear ones, I think I am going to have to take off the front door panels to get them off (unless someone knows otherwise) so I will wait for another day. Heres a quick guide on how to swap out the rears though.

Firstly, pull back the rubber strip on the side of the door. This should reveal a hole with an alan bolt inside. Carefully loosen this bolt, I did half a turn and then checked the handle to see if I could get it off.

Once this bolt is loose enough you should be able to pull the rear part of the door handle out.

Slide and pull towards towards the rear of the car to remove the front section

Then push the new handle on, you should line it up flush slightly towards the rear of the car and then slide towards the front, you should hear a click.

replace the rear section, tighten the bolt and your done. Like I said, not quite figured out the front ones yet so until then I am only 1/2 colour coded!

Attachments

• Resize of DSC00874.JPG
    Resize of DSC00874.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 181
Whoops wrong section, can one of the admins move this to Bodywork, Sorry!

So far so good Mambo, 'col cod' indeed.

What price were the handles BTW?

I'm sure Sym has swapped his - he'll know how.

I've seen them done (on Koolvin's car in Germany), but forget now.

I recall it's similar to your pictures above. Loosening a hex bolt, but not totally undoing.

Total Price of door handles was £72.44 from MB in Stockport....

As for the front handles, I found an hex bolt behind the door rubber but this only seems to turn a 1/4 turn and then is tight again. Tried this on both sides and only figured out later that if left 'twisted' stops the door handles from opening the door from the outside. :eek: Thank god for one touch window opening from the key fob else I would be clambering in to the front seats through the back door! :bannana:

Sym, Koolvin any words of wisdom?

I think - you turn the alan bolt the quarter turn to loose, then turn the lock with the key quarter of a turn(not sure which way!) and pull and it pops out..You have the covers over your locks so remove them first...

Wicked, will give it a shot tomorrow morning as long as its not raining!

Graham, I have had mine done, but I was a bit lazy (chicken !!) and got the bodyshop to fit them all when they colour coded the front end pieces ! I imagine the front ones are a bit more complex due to the electronics in the handle. I do remember though, that you must not loosen the allen bolt too much. If you do, you'll be in trouble !!

Semi colour-coded looks . . . interesting !!! All will look great when done though :D Well done.

S.

Hmm

Must be a different technique on the W202, I only have one lock (the drivers side). The other passenger side just has the IR sensor :confused:

Guess I'll have to get the guy at the bidyshop to do it!

Yeah - mine's a 202 as well. Same as yours - i.e. only one lock + sensor on drivers side, and sensor on passenger side.

As you say, best to let the bodyshop do it if you are not sure - they'll be very used to taking these things apart ;)

S.

Seems as this is going to have to stay as a 1/2 How To. Got the car back last night, seems the process to get the front handles off it a lot more complicated because of all the electronics within the covering, the bodyshop guy didnt go in to detail, and I just wanted my car back!

Did a good job, even colour coded the key blanking plate!

Attachments

• DSC01039.JPG
    DSC01039.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 49
Looks a lot better colour coded IMHO!

Attachments

• DSC01040.JPG
    DSC01040.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 49
It sure does look good mate. In fact, I'm tempted to do mine.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom