• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W203 220 CDI LOW BOOST CODE LIMP MODE

W203newbie2021

Car
C class 220 cdi W203
Hi all,

I have a 2006 W203 220 CDI that has a low boost issue in high gears/speed. After all my troubleshooting I suspect the actuator but hopefully someone here can help.

Mileage 114k

Codes p2359 p0299

- I have checked all hoses and replaced one intercooler hose as oil residue was seeping out o ring seal (long shot but needed doing anyway)

- replaced MAP (was a freebie off a friend)

- cleaned EGR (didn't seem that bad)

I used aluminium speed tape to attach to actuator arm to the turbo to determine if arm was moving but the tape did not tear or even seem to be any different so highly suspect actuator not moving. This would explain why I have turbo all day long in low gears and limp mode comes on when on motorway.

I have removed the actuator and looked inside and found no obvious signs of broken wires etc. I need to take it to work to test with multi meter.

My only thing I'm thinking to check is the inlet port motor and maybe putting the resistor across is but not sure where this is on this model.
DOES ANYONE KNOW LOCATION PLEASE.

If my turbo actuator is not the fix is this likely the turbo?

Turbo inlet blades show no sign of wobble and only oil residue was in the intercooler pipes (I've been in and out a few times and after wiping not seen much build up) and the turbo vanes seem to be moving freely by hand (now actuator is removed).

One last point, can I drive without the actuator installed? I have put it all back together and I think I can hear a relay clicking (suspect to do with unplugged/removed actuator).

Thank you for your help.

Weekend mechanic.

I actually have a similar issue after the car has been running for a couple of minutes.

To start, I have a 2005 C220cdi 5 speed auto.

When first started it's fine and runs as expected. After 30-60 seconds I notice a drop in power, the revs max out at 3000rpm, it won't kickdown by itself and the turbo clearly isn't spinning anymore.

Once you stop the car, turn it off and on again, it all resets until 30-60 seconds later and the problem restarts. No eml on or air leaks that I can hear under the bonnet.

I have read that the boost pressure sensor or maf sensor could be to blame. Anyone else had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction?

Hi mate,
From what you say I think it may be a sensor or a leak issue. My car only went into limp mode when you drove it not after 30-60 seconds of running at idle.
If I was you I'd plug in an obd reader (Bluetooth ones from amazon will do the trick) to start with. Check for any fault codes and see what the maf and boost sensor is and go from there.

There is a maf and a map sensor and both are pretty easy to access and change.

The other thing is do you hear any leaky pipes? The pipes at the bottom of the engine bay are susceptible to wear and damage especially if you do not have the plastic splash protection fitted. However check them all.

What milage is the car? Its unlikely its the turbo itself. You can remove the intake pipe into the turbo and see how much oil you see ( a little will probably be there) and more the impeller fan and see if it's smooth or feels worn.

Let me know how you get on and good luck.

Hi mate,
From what you say I think it may be a sensor or a leak issue. My car only went into limp mode when you drove it not after 30-60 seconds of running at idle.
If I was you I'd plug in an obd reader (Bluetooth ones from amazon will do the trick) to start with. Check for any fault codes and see what the maf and boost sensor is and go from there.

There is a maf and a map sensor and both are pretty easy to access and change.

The other thing is do you hear any leaky pipes? The pipes at the bottom of the engine bay are susceptible to wear and damage especially if you do not have the plastic splash protection fitted. However check them all.

What milage is the car? Its unlikely its the turbo itself. You can remove the intake pipe into the turbo and see how much oil you see ( a little will probably be there) and more the impeller fan and see if it's smooth or feels worn.

Let me know how you get on and good luck.
Also I have a simular thread on another forum that detailed how I fixed mine. It was the electrical actuator in the end

Had the same issue- the issue was the actuator and the inlet charge pipe.

I had the turbo refurbished with a new actuator for 200euros. After that it was back to normal.

But I have spent quite alot money on other stuff too in order to find the issue (cleaned the cats, MAF sensor, boost sensor, inlet manifold, etc), as the STAR was reading high and low boost pressure at the same time.

Perhaps you can do a smoke test first to check if any of the pipes are leaking.

Hope this helps!

Thread 'W209 220cdi limp mode'
W209 220cdi limp mode | Engine

Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated!

@W203newbie2021 just to clarify my original post, it is whilst driving and not at idle that the issues start. I will check the hoses including the lower intercooler ones but I do have the undertray fitted.

@Spyros777 if i cant find any other suspect, do you reckon its worth just going for the actuator change? I don't want to end up going down a rabbit hole of issues for a car that is now only worth a couple of grand.

Bit of an update:

Ive noticed this noise when the ignition is switched on and its coming from the turbo area. Any ideas what it might be?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated!

@W203newbie2021 just to clarify my original post, it is whilst driving and not at idle that the issues start. I will check the hoses including the lower intercooler ones but I do have the undertray fitted.

@Spyros777 if i cant find any other suspect, do you reckon its worth just going for the actuator change? I don't want to end up going down a rabbit hole of issues for a car that is now only worth a couple of grand.
Bit of an update:

Ive noticed this noise when the ignition is switched on and its coming from the turbo area. Any ideas what it might be?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I went down the rabbit hole because I rushed into it and I was changing parts here and there without doing any proper research. Also as mentioned above, the STAR diagnosis was a paradox due to the opposite boost readings at the same time.

The turbo actuator was the last thing my mechanic told me to check and therefore we have sent the whole turbo assembly for a service/refurb. The issue was indeed the actuator motor (teeth were missing) and the inlet charger pipe was broken where it connects to the inlet of the turbo.

I would suggest first to do a smoke test to see if theres any boost leak and then proceed but at the same time check your intercooler pipes etc. This might show the culprit.

The noise in your video posted to be honest I cannot advise but hopefully a member here can shed some light.

Afternoon all!

No update as yet I'm afraid. Got the car booked in for the smoke test this coming Friday so will let you know the outcome.

Morning all. Car went in yesterday and its been diagnosed with a stuck Turbo Actuator.

Next step will be getting a replacement

I hope thats not expensive. Make sure they have warranty over the new actuator!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom