W204 (The new C class) quality problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there a date or model number where one can definitively point too and say models BEFORE this date had quality issues - and models produced AFTER this date did not.

Easy. Before the R129 the quality 'issue' was that the cars were over-engineered. After the R129 they were not. :D

VW Polo. Model is being updated.

Partex was generous (IMO) too.

Now me being a cynic I wonder what the final deal would have looked like with scrappage involved. (... I reckon a bit over £8K).

Could you PM me the details please? Mum is in the market for a new car ATM and currently looking at a 54 plate SDI diesel Polo for £4k- If I could source her a new one for £7k she would be most pleased!

w204 - drivers headrest wont stay put , long journey and seat impossible to get comfy.
must have done 500,000+ miles in c-class mercedes [had several of every model]
see previous posts - if you think of buying a w204 take a long test drive, keep a mobile handy and when they run out of warranty - extend

if you think of buying a w204 take a long test drive, keep a mobile handy and when they run out of warranty - extend
Quite clearly you are unhappy with your car and for that you have my sympathy, but your experience is diametrically opposed to mine (car will be 2 years old in January, currently covered 25k miles) and that of pretty much every other W204 owner - latest Bluefficiency injector issues aside.

The only "fault" with mine since new was that in very cold weather there was a knock on initial startup that I thought sounded like a noisy lifter and so I had the dealer take a look at it. Turned out to be a couple of injectors right on the edge of spec, which they replaced. I doubt most owners would have bothered even asking to have the car examined.

W204 Door Lock Fault

I see a lot of these cars come through the workshop, and almost never with any issues. The odd door lock fault or software updating required, but thats it.

Just took delivery of a 2 year old C250 CDI Sport which is a dream to drive and looks new and even though its clocked 40K it feels like a new car to drive.

But.................. passenger door lock (central) failed within hours. OK the MB dealer is sorting it and supplied a nearly new C180 whilst it is being fixed. But a shade disappointing. First thing I've had go wrong on a car for a decade. Just servicing and tyres, until now.

So how common is this fault?

Until this thread I have been over the moon with mine (a 16 month old C250 estate).

I've managed to put a swift 1500 miles on the clock, taking it from 8 to 9k something in the last couple of weeks, so can't really give any long term views. Seems reasonable though, quick, relatively economical, averaged 39.9 over the time I've had it, even though fully loaded all the time.

Hmm. The half 'plastic' drivers bolster is already showing signs of wear and the paint is terrible, could get a better finish on an orange.

Is there any indication with the injector of doom issue?

2 years and 17000 miles on mine - only problems were a door lock pin breaking and the electric boot opening jamming twice.

Regardless of performance, it is one of my favourite cars.

2 years and 17000 miles on mine - only problems were a door lock pin breaking and the electric boot opening jamming twice.

Regardless of performance, it is one of my favourite cars.

Question, don't take this as rude, but does it not feel a come down in terms of comfort and luxury from your CLS?

The trim in a W204 (pre facelift) is solid but a tad dour, the facelifted car is nicer but would you

a) buy a newer C class
b) a car from the E/CLS segment?

20000 miles, 1 year old. Only issue is the DAB can't stay on the same channel when switched off. Paintwork is superb. Overall very happy.

I have one of the first W204 reg 57, bought it used and immaculate as it had done only 6000 in its first three years, had it for two years now, mileage now 26000 and in its 2 years I have had

RH wing mirror LED module changed
LH wing mirror LED module changed
Oxygen sensor exhaust
Throttle switch (pricey would have cost nearly £500 I was told (under warranty)
Low tone horn replaced
Another Oxygen sensor in exhaust

Ive yet then to experience a full 12 months trouble free motoring which makes this car in essence the most unreliable car I have ever owned, whilst not major I guess these faults have been very irritating, fortunately they have been fixed under warranty

Bought mine at two years old and 19K, had it for two years now and up to 28K, so far no problems apart from whacking the drivers door mirror, but that wasn't an MB fault.

Question, don't take this as rude, but does it not feel a come down in terms of comfort and luxury from your CLS?

The trim in a W204 (pre facelift) is solid but a tad dour, the facelifted car is nicer but would you

a) buy a newer C class
b) a car from the E/CLS segment?

Sorry, missed this - Very rude, but not as rude as your Facebook page ;)

Comparing a 2007 CLS with a 2010 C63:

Yes definitely, almost every inch of a CLS interior is leather whereas almost every inch of the C Class interior is hard plastic. But both cars cost about the same so I see it just as a re-allocation of the Germans effort from the interior to the engine. The COMAND system and Music Register is better in the C.

The answer? A CLS63 AMG.....

Last edited:
CLS leather , C class plastic

why not go for a bit of 1990's merc cloth interior:thumb:

facebook ;)

baldguys got rid of his boxes doubt he can hear his music...doubt he cares!!

Sorry, missed this - Very rude, but not as rude as your Facebook page ;)

Comparing a 2007 CLS with a 2010 C63:

Yes definitely, almost every inch of a CLS interior is leather whereas almost every inch of the C Class interior is hard plastic. But both cars cost about the same so I see it just as a re-allocation of the Germans effort from the interior to the engine. The COMAND system and Music Register is better in the C.

The answer? A CLS63 AMG.....

faults

Bought mine at two years old and 19K, had it for two years now and up to 28K, so far no problems apart from whacking the drivers door mirror, but that wasn't an MB fault.

Well Im hoping my third year will be uneventful, mines a 220CDI, still enjoy it despite the issues and now I have a guy who can fix anything in the future who is local at half the cost of a dealer so Im keeping it for a few more years yet.

I wanted leather but have the imitiation leather (vinyl) no one notices and its been great, cleans up well (have beige) still looks great so Im happy although wasnt sure in the beginning, vinyl after all, doesnt matter what you call it

Had mine 3.5 years, 59,000 miles.
Only problem is dIscs changed no warranty
Climate just started playing up - passenger side hot, drivers side cold. Havent taken it in yet. My dealer in Hull is great.
Don't like the car cd220 estate engine rough and slow speed ride very crashy over bad roads.
Boot /tailgate combination is best in class

I have had my C350 Coupe since April. Done 2k miles. Faultless. Just wish the V6 would shout a bit more, that's all.
Ditto on time, miles and reliability. Shouts music on full throttle :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom