W204 tuning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikrt

Car
2013 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport Plus 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Am seriously considering getting my 2013 C220 cdi tuned along with EGR delete.

Most quote an increase up to 205 bhp, I guess this is about where the C250 cdi is, and as it's the same engine I'm assuming this will be well within its limits (including engine, brakes etc). Am I correct do you think?

Also an EGR delete is on the cards at the same time. I've had nothing but trouble with them on other cars in the family, jamming and edf issues. Touch wood, no probs on this car. Am i right in thinking I only need the software updated and not actual physical removal or blanking of the unit?

Thanks in advance

Interfering with any of the emission controls is an MoT fail (whether you get caught is another matter)

I am not 100% going to an EGR removal, but just looking for an answer to my query.

I am pretty sure EGR detete (software only) is NOT an MOT fail. If it is, please put an official link here to show me and I will eat humble pie. I realise it may be an offence to drive a car this way, but not an MOT fail (at the moment anyway). DPF removal, I know is an MOT fail.

I also understand many do not approve, I respect that, and I thank you for your advice.

I suppose it all depends on how one interprets defect (a) in the emissions section of the test.
8. Nuisance - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

A software modification is still a modification but it won't be obvious to the tester. Technically a fail but I'm pretty certain one wouldn't get found out.
It would render the vehicle unroadworthy, illegal and uninsured as it no longer complies with type approval, Again unlikely to be discovered, unless one is involved in a high cost accident, when one's insurer is likely to interrogate the software and will discover any modifications..

The manufacturer has designed the engine and supporting system with the EGR in mind, so removing/disabling it may have undesirable knock-on effects such as increased engine and turbocharger temperatures.

Removal of EGR valve (Questions on car maintenance and repair)

Clearly the choice is yours but personally, I would just make sure it's functioning correctly and leave it as the designers intended..

I am not 100% going to an EGR removal, but just looking for an answer to my query.

I am pretty sure EGR detete (software only) is NOT an MOT fail. If it is, please put an official link here to show me and I will eat humble pie. I realise it may be an offence to drive a car this way, but not an MOT fail (at the moment anyway). DPF removal, I know is an MOT fail.

I also understand many do not approve, I respect that, and I thank you for your advice.
if you remove egr dpf wnt regenrate as it requires the egr to get the exhaust hot and your dpf will fill up and block

1. Nuisance is determined by how loud the exhaust is

Just trade your 220 in for a 250 CDi - you get 204 BHP and 368 lb (500 nm) of torque, without needing to remap. Mine now has 135k miles on it, pulls like a train from just above tickover and returns over 50 mpg. I have had no issues with the car in the 5 years and 100k miles in my ownership. They are more plentiful than the 350 and, IMHO, offer the best compromise between performance and economy.

For those that were concerned, the EGR delete is definitely not happening.

If funds were available right now (finishing off a self-build house) I would upgrade, probably not to a C250 CDI, but to petrol.

Thanks again for all help & advice

Just trade your 220 in for a 250 CDi - you get 204 BHP and 368 lb (500 nm) of torque, without needing to remap. Mine now has 135k miles on it, pulls like a train from just above tickover and returns over 50 mpg. I have had no issues with the car in the 5 years and 100k miles in my ownership. They are more plentiful than the 350 and, IMHO, offer the best compromise between performance and economy.

I must admit I own a C250cdi and its just superb. I drove the C220 which is a great car but the C250 just had that little extra I was looking for. The torque curve feels very flat and pulls hard when in the right gear.
Its not a "really" fast car but fast enough with good economy. A firend has a similar car to mine which he had remapped to around 235bhp and its noticable more responsive and perky. But in standard form it doesnt dissapoint. I am leaving mine as stock for now.

If you do remap the C220 I would love to hear how it goes and what a difference it makes. The best advice is get a good map from a reputable company not some guy of the internet making crazy claims... :)

Thanks @Tonygw, I agree with all you just said.

I don't want megga claimed improvements, I think 35bhp would be safe. I've found a well recommended mapper who has done many cars, so I'll feed back when done. Won't be till next month when I'll be in his area.

The main reason of this thread was to see if 205bhp was a safe enough jump.

I think it is, but would welcome thoughts of others.

No worries, The OM651 is a tough old lump so could take 205bhp as the stock C250 is the same engine as the C220.
In fact the OM651 is one of the most widely used engines in vans and cars and all sorts. So it can take a bit of abuse, But good maintanence will see it go into high miles with no issues.

I think you will be pleased with the results. Well hopefull you will.

Thanks again @Tonygw, that's exactly what I suspected, and wanted confirmed.

I had read somewhere they were the same engines, just different software.

I had also read differing opinions as to whether they are the same engine with the 220 being single & the 250 twin turbo. I'm now sure the 180 is single, and both 220 & 250 are Twin.

C200 has .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom