W205 C200 petrol MPG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charltjr

Car
W205 C class
Hi,

I'm newbie here, but looking closely at leasing a C200 petrol. I can't find any information anywhere about real-world MPG on this engine.

Merc claim 53.3 combined which I'm guessing is optimistic to say the least, but if it can crack 45mpg on a run then it's something I can be happy with.

I do a lot of miles but the cost savings of going for the petrol are so large that if it can do decent MPG then it's a better option than the diesel.

I'd really appreciate any feedback from someone with a W205 C200 petrol, if there is anyone out there who's bought one ;)

Thanks,
John

I hope you can get advice from a W205 C200 petrol owner, since many go for the diesel option. I am greatly impressed with the performance and fuel economy of these new 4-cylinder petrol engines...I no longer see the craze of buying a diesel 4-pot.

Good luck and congratulations on your to-be-purchased W205.

I doubt very much that you'll crack 45mpg on a run unless you drive like a nun.

I have a W205 C220BT and I am getting around 50mpg on a run driving at a reasonable pace.

I ordered a C200, so will be able to provide some feedback but not until April :(

I have a C200 AMG Line Premium Plus.

Ive only had the car for a month and Ive still to pass the 1000 mile mark. When I saw your question I checked the MPG display in the car, which as not been reset since I picked it up.

Its showing 30.5 mpg at the moment. Most of that will have come from my commute to work, which is slow urban rush hour traffic for a couple of miles, followed by 15 miles of motorway and dual carriageway.
I tend to use the Comfort setting and have only dabbled with ECO mode.

I doubt that you will see 45 mpg. I'm hoping to get mid to high 30's at best and if I do I'll be happy.

I used a Whatcar diesel/petrol comparison spreadsheet and found I would have to do 36,000 miles just to break even if I bought a diesel C220.

I only do around 10,000 miles per year so it just wasnt worth it.

(Google "whatcar diesel petrol comparison spreadsheet" if you want a copy of the spreadsheet. I cant link to it directly as the link result from Google is for the actual spreadsheet itself and is about 100 characters long!)

I took delivery of a C200 Sport Premium demonstrator a month ago. It had 4000 miles on the clock. Since then I have done about 800 miles with a mix of motorway and local trips. If you believe the accumulative computer read out then I have averaged 39.7 mpg. It is used in Comfort mode. I tried it on economy and it was rather unpleasant. If I have 1 complaint it is all the options and settings which are available. I played around with most of them and I think I have just about settled on an acceptable balance. There are a few really good touches which I found very useful. The fold down rear seats, the ability to open the boot lid hands free and then close and lock the car electronically, in the dark the whole car illuminates externally when opening, the interior ambient lighting which I have set at blue is really smart. Finally the reversing camera is excellent and the fact that the camera folds away when not in use keeps it clean. If anyone wants to ask me anything please feel free. All in all a great car and streets ahead of my previous W204.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for the feedback - I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Sadly it looks like I'm going to have to give the C-Class a miss, a shame because it really is a lovely car.

I would suggest you calculate the percentage of the average consumption you are getting with your current car and recent cars against the official combined figures, and apply the same percentage to the official combined figures of the C class.
Its been a similar percentage for my previous cars.

W205 C200 petrol MPG

Hello
Have had my c-class 200 sport petrol auto since Nov and done 6000 miles already.
I have averaged 43-44 mpg since then. I only do motorways and travel at 75-77 mph with cruise control and the auto in ECO mode (it allows free-wheeling to save petrol).
I just love the petrol engine and even though i do 25000 miles per year- there isn't much difference in the overall cost when u take purchase price, running costs, road tax (£55 ) and the much nicer sound and smoothness of a petrol on the motorways!
I also have access to an eco diesel new A3 and a mini-countryman diesel (awful engine and 44 mpg in a diesel)- yes the audi gives you 55mpg at 75mpg- but thats not so far away from the 43mpg i get in the petrol merc!
Cheers
Paul

Had my C200 sport since December and you can push her to do 40 mpg in Eco mode but in town it's not the most economical the problem with the Diesels is that they are loud and week except if you go for the larger engines in the range

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I ordered a C200 with the (naive) hope it should return 46+ on the motorway and 40+ MPG average.

My Toyota 1.8 litre (vs 2 litre MB) Avensis has only 4 speed auto Vs 7 speed
And it has no stop start for urban use. It also is less slippy than the low CD of C Class and does not have cruise control.

It averages 36 MPG and about 44 MPG on long motorway trips.
(Calculated by brimming the tank, calculating the fuel used in litres and dividing by 4.55 to arrive at gallon consumption)

Though the C200 is faster and more powerful

...I I am greatly impressed with the performance and fuel economy of these new 4-cylinder petrol engines... I no longer see the craze of buying a diesel 4-pot....

My thoughts exactly and I have the older W204 C180K BE which has averaged 43 MPG so far and did 53MPG on a recent speed restricted motorway run. Both figures are brim to brim measured fills.

Where the petrol drinks it a bit compared to diesels is around town and on steep hills but on average I'm very happy with the choice of petrol for moderate annual mileage.

I've done 4,000 miles to date in my S205 C200 and I'm seeing:

High 20/low 30MPG on local urban driving.
50 mpg gets me just under 50 MPG (lots of average camera stretches round here)
70/80 mph gives me around 40 MPG.

That's with a mix of Comfort and Sport.

I've got the wind noise issue (see MBWorld forums where it's been discussed to death), also the Keyless-Go chirp (which apparently there's a software fix for now). I did have TomTom Live traffic issues which have now been resolved. :)
Car has otherwise been great. Really pleased and would happily recommend to others :thumb:

Did about 250 miles today on mixed roads on trip to Oban and back. Average speed quite low at 37mph but trip meter shows 45.5mpg. Engine still not run in so on the face of it, I'm quite happy with that.

I had a C200 AMG on demo for 4 days from Merc... I did 250 miles and avg MPG was 25mpg mostly in Sport+ mode, using the flappy paddles too.

This was 40 Miles on the motorway and the rest A roads with a total avg speed of 21mph.

Excluding the motorway "cruise", the car was shall we say "driven" so think of the above figure as a worst case.

I would expect on a motorway run you would be able to get a min of 39mpg no problem.

I had a C250d for a day, but for some reason on the motorway I omitted to observe the rev counter!

Anyway back to my main point, 7 gears should make for more efficient motorway crusing at lower revs. I had an infiniti Q50 and with it's 7 gears it was doing about 2000rpm at 70mph. Where I'm doing slightly over 3000rpm in my 5 gear E Class a difference of a third.

What rpm is the C200 doing at 70mph?

uumode said:
I had a C250d for a day, but for some reason on the motorway I omitted to observe the rev counter! Anyway back to my main point, 7 gears should make for more efficient motorway crusing at lower revs. I had an infiniti Q50 and with it's 7 gears it was doing about 2000rpm at 70mph. Where I'm doing slightly over 3000rpm in my 5 gear E Class a difference of a third. What rpm is the C200 doing at 70mph?

The C250d is barely awake at 70, I manage to get up to low 70s MPG on a run like a nun.

Regular trips with mixed driving get me high 50s - low 60s.

Difference is half not a third by the way ;)

New 4 pot CGI petrol mercy are streets ahead of the equivalent size merc diesels ATM. Merc diesels especially the smaller ones seem to be almost a generation behind in terms of refinement compared to other mainstream models. Plus the fact you need to be doing around 30k a year for a diesel to start paying these days it really makes no sense. Agree about the around town driving though when using a petrol though but on the other hand short town trips will quickly write of a DPF. For me it's petrol every time these days unless I'm buying a 4x4/van.

Revs at 2000 at 70mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom