W210 E320cdi MAF questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
Ok, I finally pulled the MAF off, after getting increasingly poor MPG and the car occasionally not having it boooting it past 3000rpm. I'd had the injectors serviced, other stuff done, fuel filters and pumps gone over, so I figured the MAF was next/ easiest to fix.

Immediately after pulling the old MAF I'm seeing slight improvements, except the foot to the floor doesn't create those 'Whack in the back' moments from the turbo boost.

So my question is, obviously the car is designed with the MAF as standard rather than an optional extra, and the one I pulled is a Merc Part, replaced 4 years ago, made by pierburg and fitted by the dealer but not as part of a service.

is this the same part, as the numbers are the same, i.e. will it work?

Mercedes Mass Air Flow Meter E C E220 Cdi ML 6110940048 | eBay UK

It tells you in the blurb that it fits the 320Cdi, but it isn't a Pierburg, so may not be comparable quality.

Just buy a Pierburg from the dealer or ECP.

Thanks DM, you think I'd learn by now not to try and cut corners. BTW, bit of a bad day a few days ago with Peter Falk moving on. Best Detective ever. And in Mad Mad World, proved to be the best taxi driver ever, Why couldn't DeNiro have been that funny. Oh well...

Yep its a favourite of mine.

BTW, whilst waiting for my new MAF, have noticed it drives like a petrol, no huge kick in the ar$e on acceleration. And no massive surge on takeoff at tight busy roundabouts either, which takes a bit of planning sometimes. I feel like a learner driver. Come on, new MAF!

Ok, so a few things about the new MAF... (from Mercedes)

1) It's not a Pierburg, or a Bosch, or anything, it's still got the Merc emblem on the bottom, but in place of Pierburg, we have a logo ' i2s ' - anyone heard of em?

2) The arrows... I assumed they'd point to the direction the air will be going (i.e. into the inlet manifold,) but fitting it up, the arrows point AWAY from the inlet/engine... just seems a bit odd.

3) took it on a 50 mile run, and although I'm getting the stonking whoomf of acceleration I missed whilst MAF-less, I'm getting what appears to be bad economy. 32mpg on the MWay seems pretty darn bad. I was getting that buzzing round town with no MAF.

Can I demand a bosch part from MB? Is that the only part you more experienced guys would put on your motor?

Could I duct-tape where the MAF should be after ripping it out, and drive it round MAF-free? I don't mind the lack of urgency the motor has, it seems more stately, a bit "Jag Series III Sovereign-like" when not plugged in, but using less fuel.

very confused, expected miracles I guess. Perhaps I'm looking for improvements where there arent any to be had as it's actually pretty bloody good already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom