• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W211 '04 E220 CDI Rear Spring Failure @ 30k & 41k Miles

Had both front springs replaced last year for MoT as the O/S had failed. Sounds like it has gone again 13 months and less than 12k later. It's going in to be looked at tomorrow; should I expect a goodwill from the dealer if it has indeed failed in such a short space of time?

Sorry to hear of your problems with springs. On the reverse side of the coin, I've just had the rear shocks & springs replaced on my 1989 W201. Not because they were problematic, just because the car has covered 196k miles and I figured they might be getting tired - plus road surfaces have deteriorated markedly of late. Got the old components back from my indie and the springs have never been replaced before, as they still bore the original date stamp (3/89). Other than some minor surface rust, they were in very good condition. I give the springs a light coat of waxoyl annually, so I'm sure that contributed to their longevity.

That said, I had a 1993 W201 that had two broken rear springs at 60k miles.....so who knows?

Had both front springs replaced last year for MoT as the O/S had failed. Sounds like it has gone again 13 months and less than 12k later. It's going in to be looked at tomorrow; should I expect a goodwill from the dealer if it has indeed failed in such a short space of time?

Was it a MB Dealer?

If so I'd expect replacement springs to last longer than 13 months & I would be looking for them to replace them FOC or at the very least with no labour charge.

They will likely blame it on road conditions, driving style etc. but we know that this simply doesn't cut it.

Good news - nothing wrong with the suspension system. Left the car with the main dealer who fitted the new ones last year, they inspected and road tested it with nothing more than a wee bit of play to report.

And the best bit....they charged me absolutely nothing for doing it.

Bought an approved used... At first service (6 months after I got it) was told both rear springs were broken. MB contributed mostly; I paid 85 pounds towards it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom