W211 E320CDi Vibration when in reverse but only with a cold engine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Meyle will be fine.

My advice is don't buy from eBay unless it's a major parts retailer with an eBay store. Far too many fakes. You might get lucky and get genuine, or you might not.

Buying from Autodoc (or another major parts supplier with a reputation at stake) with the volumes they do and they won't be fake. I mean, how much is the saving and is that worth the risk?

Dropped in to see my MB Independent today and he feels that it is likely to be the rear mount as they fail first in his experience so I have ordered one from MB Edinburgh because Steven Jenkins in the Parts Department there is a very helpful and pleasant chap to deal with.

Total was £39.10 delivered inc VAT.

My Indie is reluctant to use Lemforder (actually to use any non MB parts) as he has had problems with the quality of after market parts in the past.

Having had the rear mount changed the vibration in reverse when cold has reduced significantly but is still there.

According to my Indiependent, the rear mount was had not failed but was showing signs of degrading. I am sure it is not gearbox related as changes are smooth and selection of Drive or Reverse is instant with no noise or clunks. I can only assume that the remaining symptoms point to the need for the front mounts to be replaced.

Incidentally, whilst he was checking the car he found 3 large splits in the Right-hand intercooler charge hose. The car had been suffering a very occasional loss of power which always reset after cycling the ignition with an occasional "Low boost pressure" code stored. I am very surprised that it was able to generate any boost considering the size of the 3 splits.

Having had it replaced the car is now quieter and more responsive plus the charge hose was only £55 from MB.

Having had the rear mount changed the vibration in reverse when cold has reduced significantly but is still there.

According to my Indiependent, the rear mount was had not failed but was showing signs of degrading. I am sure it is not gearbox related as changes are smooth and selection of Drive or Reverse is instant with no noise or clunks. I can only assume that the remaining symptoms point to the need for the front mounts to be replaced.

Incidentally, whilst he was checking the car he found 3 large splits in the Right-hand intercooler charge hose. The car had been suffering a very occasional loss of power which always reset after cycling the ignition with an occasional "Low boost pressure" code stored. I am very surprised that it was able to generate any boost considering the size of the 3 splits.

Having had it replaced the car is now quieter and more responsive plus the charge hose was only £55 from MB.
Good stuff , I can’t believe that your engine mounts don’t need doing at 140k though

Good stuff , I can’t believe that your engine mounts don’t need doing at 140k though
I agree, they have not failed but will have certainly deteriorated and they are supporting a big lump up front as my dearly beloved might describe me :cool:

They are being changed when I and my Indie can find a mutually convenient time. I will supply Meyle or similar, I do not care what he says on this matter, I refuse to pay 2 or 3 times the price for MB supplied parts when they do not make them.

I agree, they have not failed but will have deteriorated and they are supporting a big lump upfront as my dearly beloved might describe me :cool:
My recent change of my mounts at 107k transformed the car and the way power is delivered :D

Did you have the Propshaft couplings changed as well?
Don’t bother changing them David unless there’s visible cracking on the rubber 👍

If it were my car I’d go the prop donuts and engine mounts, it will feel and drive like new! Glad your on the right track. How about a picture of the beast? I miss my e320 cdi.

I bought a pair of Lemforder engine mounts for the E500 for £105; Terry Gates was happy to ft them, and they made a huge difference to the smoothness of the car. I bought them off eBay from a seller with 99.4% positive feedback on 85,000 sales in the last 12 months.

I've just replaced the engine and transmission mounts on my cls with om642 engine. It's cured the vibration and feels like a different car now.
But beware buying from autodoc, I ordered febi bilstein mounts but recieved "stark" mounts. From a quick search on the internet it's not the first time they've replaced orders with thier own parts. I fitted them anyway but it remains to be seen how long they will last.

I've just replaced the engine and transmission mounts on my cls with om642 engine. It's cured the vibration and feels like a different car now.
But beware buying from autodoc, I ordered febi bilstein mounts but recieved "stark" mounts. From a quick search on the internet it's not the first time they've replaced orders with thier own parts. I fitted them anyway but it remains to be seen how long they will last.
That happened to me a couple of times with them too, I won’t buy from them. They list an OEM part for a very cheap price and bump the price of their own brand “Stark”. When you contact them, the response is along the lines of “we sent a more expensive part, you got a great deal” 🤦‍♂️

I had trouble with febi branded mounts. Lemforder is the only way to go with these parts.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’ve never had that issue with Autodoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom