W211 Gear Selector Issue's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a thought guys I think you are right about the brake light switch,the op may not know that depending on the car the switch will be above the brake pedal or below it.

Thanks, last night order new brake light switch and watch youtube how to replace it(should be easy) but if you read all this messages on this post so member (sl300-24) has same issue but new brake light switch for him was no effect, but he not answer how he solved this issue on his car

Hi again, im just replace brake light switch but this DOESNT HELP, so what else it can be?

Hi,

Looks like a lot of other people have had issues like mine: Never suck in Park but often can not move from Drive to Park unless Brake pedal is released.

I see a brake lights switch a common suggestion but does it apply when there are never problems moving from P and often problems moving from Drive to Park unless brake pedal is realsed?

How did people who had these problems years ago had them resolved?

Brake switch is a potential cause as the guys said , when my selector module failed , my shifter would sometimes get stuck in reverse , and the display of the gears on cluster goes blank with no PNRD displayed...
Only way out of it was to cycle the ignition , and then it was good , Got fed up with it and replaced it with 2nd hand one , the previous owner had poured what looks like coffee on the selector and killed it.

Get it scanned and the code for the shifter module is something like:

P1856 – Selector Lever Position Detection Failed
P240C – CAN Signal Selector Lever Position N15/5 Is Not Plausible

Brake switch is a potential cause as the guys said , when my selector module failed , my shifter would sometimes get stuck in reverse , and the display of the gears on cluster goes blank with no PNRD displayed...
Only way out of it was to cycle the ignition , and then it was good , Got fed up with it and replaced it with 2nd hand one , the previous owner had poured what looks like coffee on the selector and killed it.

Get it scanned and the code for the shifter module is something like:

P1856 – Selector Lever Position Detection Failed
P240C – CAN Signal Selector Lever Position N15/5 Is Not Plausible

HI I have had the Same issues. when I put key in and get to start position no gear displays. drive for a bit and then stop car then do the same, some times it shows gears and then perfect drive sometime nothing at all and staying limp mode.
so did you change brake switch your self?

I hear the gear module may need changing?
any one else had this issue?

Thanks in Advance

HI I have had the Same issues. when I put key in and get to start position no gear displays. drive for a bit and then stop car then do the same, some times it shows gears and then perfect drive sometime nothing at all and staying limp mode.
so did you change brake switch your self?

I hear the gear module may need changing?
any one else had this issue?

Thanks in Advance
I changed the gear selector module

I'd try to clean the gear selector module first (circuit board).

That's what I did when my HOLD (SBC H) wasn't engaging. No problem since.

Might not be related but worth a try.

Oh OK where did you get one from..
Did you change it your self.. was it straight forward to do .

Thanks
Job isnt too bad...
You have to remove the old selector first to see which part number to order .

Removal videos on YouTube , My car is W203 coupe ,

On this video he didn't remove the center console , I had to as I couldn't get the thing out , much easier with console out thou.
There is a clip that you have to disconnect from under the car which connects shifter to Transmission

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i also have the same problem if i very lightly touch the brake pedal the car will go into gear, apply the brake as normal and it refuses to go or i switch the engine off and then i can engage the gears i do have a fault code come up which is
C404 no can message was received from control unit A80 (intelligent servo module for direct select). (164/216/221/251) or from control unit N15/5 (electronic selector ever module (ECM{EWM})))
many thanks for your help in advance

i also have the same problem if i very lightly touch the brake pedal the car will go into gear, apply the brake as normal and it refuses to go or i switch the engine off and then i can engage the gears i do have a fault code come up which is
C404 no can message was received from control unit A80 (intelligent servo module for direct select). (164/216/221/251) or from control unit N15/5 (electronic selector ever module (ECM{EWM})))
many thanks for your help in advance
Can I revive this thread and ask if there are any new thoughts on the above described symptoms? Consensus seems to be that faulty brake switch is not the problem, but what is the best solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom